Old May 5th 04, 05:48 AM
Ivan

Default Dutch Defense, Leningrad variation

Shouldn't this opening be renamed to the
Dutch Defense, St. Petersburg variation ?
Old May 5th 04, 11:56 PM
Harry Haller

That would lose the entire historical context, wouldn't it?

--
HH
'What goes around comes around'.

om...

Old May 6th 04, 12:23 AM
Matt Nemmers

"Harry Haller" wrote in message
That would lose the entire historical context, wouldn't it?

--
HH
'What goes around comes around'.
-- Robert J. Fischer

"Ivan" wrote in message
om...
Shouldn't this opening be renamed to the
Dutch Defense, St. Petersburg variation ?

Kinda like banning the display of the Confederate flag at southern capitols,
huh?

Regards,

Matt

Old May 8th 04, 05:54 PM
Harry Haller

No, not at all actually. Leningrad has a proud history. Redneck racism and
the Confederacy does not.

--
HH
'What goes around comes around'.
-- Robert J. Fischer

"Matt Nemmers" wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s04...
"Harry Haller" wrote in message
That would lose the entire historical context, wouldn't it?

--
HH
'What goes around comes around'.
-- Robert J. Fischer

om...

Old May 8th 04, 11:29 PM
Don Corleone

post in rec.games.chess.politics ;o)

om...

Old May 8th 04, 11:36 PM
Nick

"Matt Nemmers" wrote in
message news:[email protected]_s04...
"Harry Haller" wrote in
message ...
That would lose the entire historical context, wouldn't it?

"Ivan" wrote in
message om...
Shouldn't this opening be renamed to the
Dutch Defense, St. Petersburg variation ?

Kinda like banning the display of the Confederate flag at southern capitols,
huh?

Mr Nemmers, I recently had a conversation with a German woman from
(of all places) Nuernberg (or Nuremberg). As far as I could tell,
she (like nearly all young Germans of my acquaintance) seemed entirely
anti-Nazi and sincerely anti-racist. I doubt that she has any regrets
about the fact that the flag of the Third Reich (which pertains to an
important period of German history) is no longer being officially displayed
in public at home.

She (who was born after 1945), evidently like most Germans, disapproves
of the United States military occupation of Iraq. I suspect that she would
not mention, however, what she believes to apparently 'flag-waving' Americans
because they could 'respond' in this way: 'You Nazis committed much worse
crimes. Therefore, the United States always must be above any criticism
from you!' Perhaps many Americans even believe that's a sound argument.

--Nick
Old May 8th 04, 11:49 PM
Nick

"Harry Haller" wrote in
message ...
No, not at all actually. Leningrad has a proud history.

Mr Haller, I doubt that Dmitri Shostakovich's 1941 'Leningrad Symphony'
should be renamed as the 'St Petersburg Symphony' because that would
remove the historical context from what the Leningraders suffered (perhaps
one million or more of them died) during the epic 900-day long siege of
their city by the Germans.

For further reading:
'The 900 Days: The Siege of Leningrad' by Harrison Salisbury
'The Battle for Leningrad, 1941-1944' by David Glantz

Redneck racism and the Confederacy does not.

As far as I know, Robert E. Lee's birthday is (or was) celebrated as
an official holiday in some Southern states in the United States.

For further reading:
'Confederates in the Attic: Dispatches from the Unfinished Civil War'
by Tony Horwitz

--Nick
Old May 10th 04, 08:43 PM
chapman Billy

Default Dutch Defense, Leningrad variation (OT)

Nick wrote:

"Harry Haller" wrote in
message ...
No, not at all actually. Leningrad has a proud history.

Mr Haller, I doubt that Dmitri Shostakovich's 1941 'Leningrad Symphony'
should be renamed as the 'St Petersburg Symphony' because that would
remove the historical context from what the Leningraders suffered (perhaps
one million or more of them died) during the epic 900-day long siege of
their city by the Germans.

For further reading:
'The 900 Days: The Siege of Leningrad' by Harrison Salisbury
'The Battle for Leningrad, 1941-1944' by David Glantz

I too like Harrison E Salisbury's book, but the following should be noted:
"Authoritative and vivid account, bitterly assailed by Soviet critics" from
page 651 of "The Road To Berlin", by John Erickson. All that cannibalism,
my impression was that he was also a tad too kind to Voroshilov.

Incidentally, many RGCM participants seem to bring up WWII, particularly the
European theatre, but are apparently unaware of the relative importance of
the Eastern Front. Here is what John Erickson wrote in the preface to the
aforementioned book: "out of the grand total of Germany's losses of
13,600,000 killed, wounded, missing and made prisoner, Soviet military
statisticians reckon that no less than 10,000,000 met a grim fate on the
Eastern Front."

Regards

Simon.