Old May 12th 04, 10:01 AM
Adam Godwin

Default Analysis please

Hi.

Could you please analyse this game I lost against Josh
on CM8K (ELO 1800).

I have done some analysis myself and so has CM8K, but
I was wondering what you think. Can I draw at all
after 25 .. fxg6 ?

[Event ""]
[Site ""]
[Date "5-11-2004"]
[Round ""]
[White "Josh - Age 9"]
[Black "Adam"]
[Result "1-0"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 a6 6.
Rg1 g6 ( 6... e6
7. g4 ) 7. g4 Bg7 8. g5 Nfd7 9. Be3 O-O 10. Nd5 Nc6
11. h3 Nxd4 12. Bxd4
Bxd4 13. Qxd4 Ne5 14. Rg3 Be6 15. O-O-O Bxd5 16. exd5
Rc8 17. f4 Nd7 (
17... Qc7 18. Rc3 ) 18. Rd2 b5 19. Kb1 Nc5

I start my analysis around the moves where my plan
changed from the usual Sicilian pressure down the
c-file to down the f-file.

20. f5 Qd7
I was preparing to double up my rooks on the f-file
(if fxg6) and give my queen easy access to that side
of the board as well. But still being flexible and
keeping the pressure on the c-file. I noticed the
X-ray on my Queen and Rook by the bishop, but didn't
realise yet that it would prevent me from getting much
play on either side of the board.

21. h4 Qc7
Not really switching pressure back to the c-file as
the c8 rook can be attacked by the bishop. I was
preparing to swap queens and go on the defensive as I
have lost any initiative I had - going for the draw.
CM8K says I should of taken the pawn, but surely this
will allow an X-Ray on my Queen and Rook?

22. Re3 Rce8 23. b4 Na4 24. Bh3 Qc4
After the exchange of queens (if that happens) this
endgame looks like a draw to me.

25. fxg6 fxg6
The losing move. I was thinking about opening up the
f-file as before, but completely missed 26. Be6+.
After 25 ..hxg6 I'd guess thats heading for my planned
draw.

26. Be6+ Rf7 27. Rf3 Rf8
CM8K says 27. Nc3+. Losing the knight for this tempi
would of perhaps delayed my lose. But thats all I see
it doing - surely there is no chance of drawing from
here?

28. Qxc4 bxc4 29. Rdf2 Kg7 30. Rxf7+ Rxf7 31. Rxf7+
Kh8 32. Rf8+ Kg7 33.
Rg8# 1-0
Moved into mate, but was there any point going on?
The white rook is going to rape me on the 7th rank and
it won't be long until he queens some of his pawns.

I'm hoping you will analyse my planning rather than
the tactics. I think changing my plan was justified -
what do you think? It just didn't materialise because
of the bishop. Although in the end it always comes
down to tactics.
Thanks, Adam Godwin.

Old May 12th 04, 05:08 PM
Luis Matos

Adam Godwin wrote:

[Event ""]
[Site ""]
[Date "5-11-2004"]
[Round ""]
[White "Josh - Age 9"]
[Black "Adam"]
[Result "1-0"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 a6 6.
Rg1 g6 ( 6... e6
7. g4 )

I'm hoping you will analyse my planning rather than
the tactics.

Please let me go only in the opening, and talk about planning rather
than tactics

After 5 --- a6 (Najdorf), your opponent didn't move precisely one the
best known moves, but a challenging one in the flank.

You replied almost afraid of the new move (or perhaps the new player
too!) 6 Rg1 g6 only gives value to Rg1.

I would suggest continue as the old rules say: "against a flank attack,
hit in the center" and "develop your pieces"

I would go on my Najdorf, e6 or e5 according to personnel taste, (e6 is
my favorite), and let him g5 but taking advantage to look for an
appropiate d5, Qc7, b5, Be7, etc etc

best regards
Luis

Old May 12th 04, 06:34 PM
Toni Lassila

On Wed, 12 May 2004 10:01:59 +0100, Adam Godwin
wrote:

I have done some analysis myself and so has CM8K, but
I was wondering what you think. Can I draw at all
after 25 .. fxg6 ?

[Event ""]
[Site ""]
[Date "5-11-2004"]
[Round ""]
[White "Josh - Age 9"]
[Black "Adam"]
[Result "1-0"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 a6 6. Rg1?! g6

6. e5! is a natural follow-up to a6. The game move concedes the centre
to White.

7. g4 Bg7 8. g5 Nfd7

8...Nh5?! is better than it looks since the knight can not be
threatened by a pawn. Still, it was probably wiser to challenge for
the centre.

9. Be3 O-O 10. Nd5? Nc6

10...e6! Nc3 and White is being driven back.

11. h3 Nxd4? 12. Bxd4 Bxd4 13. Qxd4 Ne5

Black trades away all his developed pieces and now the White queen
dominates the centre. Better would have been 11...e6! and slowly
developing towards the centre. After 14. Rg3 15. f4 and the knight's
outpost is gone and White brings the rook into play.

14. Rg3 Be6 15. O-O-O Bxd5 16. exd5 Rc8!

The exchange comes too late but at least the threat of Nf6 has passed.
White now has a bishop against a knight. The rook immediately seizes
upon the open diagonal. Too bad all the action will take place far
away on the king side.

17. f4! Nd7 18. Rd2 b5 19. Kb1 Nc5

I start my analysis around the moves where my plan
changed from the usual Sicilian pressure down the
c-file to down the f-file.

20. f5 Qd7?

Letting your king pawns be weakened can be deadly even if you get play
out of it.

21. h4 Qc7
Not really switching pressure back to the c-file as
the c8 rook can be attacked by the bishop. I was
preparing to swap queens and go on the defensive as I
have lost any initiative I had - going for the draw.
CM8K says I should of taken the pawn, but surely this
will allow an X-Ray on my Queen and Rook?

21. gxf5 Bh3? 22. e5 works as a lead vest.

22. Re3 Rce8

Now was the last chance for 22...gxf5.

23. b4 Na4 24. Bh3 Qc4

After the exchange of queens (if that happens) this
endgame looks like a draw to me.

Probably not. 25. Qxc4 bxc4 26. Ra3! Nb6 27. Rxa6 and White has a
passed pawn to his advantage.

25. fxg6 fxg6??
The losing move. I was thinking about opening up the
f-file as before, but completely missed 26. Be6+.
After 25 ..hxg6 I'd guess thats heading for my planned
draw.

26. Be6+! Rf7 27. Rf3 Rf8
CM8K says 27. Nc3+. Losing the knight for this tempi
would of perhaps delayed my lose. But thats all I see
it doing - surely there is no chance of drawing from
here?

Not with a rook down, pinned king and a passed pawn for White.

Moved into mate, but was there any point going on?

After 25. fxg6?? Black can just as well resign. Shame, there might
have been some play for another ten moves.

I'm hoping you will analyse my planning rather than
the tactics. I think changing my plan was justified -
what do you think? It just didn't materialise because
of the bishop. Although in the end it always comes
down to tactics.

Note how the final blunder came as a result of letting White push into
your king's pawns? Not letting your opponent force you into sharp
tactical positions where one bad move loses the game is a great way of
avoiding blunders. White was hell bent on pushing the king side pawns,
thus most of your pieces should have been used to stop that push.
Instead you traded most of your developed pieces away while White kept
pushing more of his in.

Maybe it's a consolation that Ivanchuk - Kasparov (Russia vs The Rest
of the World 2002) went the same way until 9. h3 (computer move), and
Kasparov lost with black too

--
King's Gambit - http://kingsgambit.blogspot.com
Chess problems, tactics, analysis and more.
Old May 12th 04, 06:49 PM
Luis Matos

Toni Lassila wrote:

[Event ""]
[Site ""]
[Date "5-11-2004"]
[Round ""]
[White "Josh - Age 9"]
[Black "Adam"]
[Result "1-0"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 a6 6. Rg1?! g6

6. e5! is a natural follow-up to a6. The game move concedes the centre
to White.

You are in a Najdorf Variation from Sicilian Defense

after 5 Nc3 a6, 6 e5... just 6 --- dxe5 and, May I ask what's your 7th
White move?

best regards
Luis

Old May 12th 04, 06:56 PM
Toni Lassila

On Wed, 12 May 2004 13:49:45 -0400, Luis Matos
wrote:

You are in a Najdorf Variation from Sicilian Defense

after 5 Nc3 a6, 6 e5... just 6 --- dxe5 and, May I ask what's your 7th
White move?

Should have been 6...e5 of course.

Old May 12th 04, 09:20 PM
Mark S. Hathaway

wrote:

[Event ""]
[Site ""]
[Date "5-11-2004"]
[Round ""]
[White "Josh - Age 9"]
[Black "Adam"]
[Result "1-0"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 a6 6. Rg1?! g6

6...e5! is a natural follow-up to a6. The game move concedes the centre
to White.

{ MH: I'd think 6...e6 is much safer, but 6...e5 is aggressive and
should be playable. }

7. g4 Bg7 8. g5 Nfd7

8...Nh5?! is better than it looks since the knight can not be
threatened by a pawn. Still, it was probably wiser to challenge for
the centre.

{ MH: 8...Nh5 probably isn't so good until White has moved Bf1-c4-b3.
After 8...Nh5 9. Be2 there's a problem. }

9. Be3 O-O 10. Nd5?

{ MH: White needs to develop some other pieces. }

( 10. Qd2 { idea: O-O-O } )

10...Nc6

10...e6! Nc3 and White is being driven back.

{ MH: ...e6 weakens pawn d6 and should be avoided if
there's a better alternative. Black should look at
10...Nb6 to challenge Nd5 without weakening the pawns. }

( 10...Nb6!? 11. Nxb6 Qxb6 12. Ne6 Qxb2 )

11. h3 Nxd4?

( 11...Nc5 { threatening pawn e4 and preparing ...Ne6
or ...e6} )

12. Bxd4 Bxd4 13. Qxd4 Ne5

Black trades away all his developed pieces and now the White queen
dominates the centre. Better would have been 11...e6! and slowly
developing towards the centre. After 14. Rg3 15. f4 and the knight's
outpost is gone and White brings the rook into play.

14. Rg3 Be6 15. O-O-O Bxd5

( 15...Rc8 { develop pieces when possible } )

16. exd5 Rc8!

The exchange comes too late but at least the threat of Nf6 has passed.

{ MH: What threat? }

White now has a bishop against a knight. The rook immediately seizes
upon the open diagonal. Too bad all the action will take place far
away on the king side.

17. f4! Nd7 18. Rd2 b5 19. Kb1 Nc5

I start my analysis around the moves where my plan
changed from the usual Sicilian pressure down the
c-file to down the f-file.

{ MH: The alignment of ...Rc5, ...Nb6, ...Qa8 (or ...Qc7)
and ...Rf8-c8, seems more powerful. What does Nc5 do? }

20. f5 Qd7?

Letting your king pawns be weakened can be deadly even if you get play
out of it.

{ MH: It seems to me Black's 19th move was where the plan
had to be created. Already, one move later, Black is just
responding to White's threats and has the worst of it for
that. }

21. h4

( 21. f6!? { idea: Qd4-h4-h6-g7# } )

21...Qc7

Not really switching pressure back to the c-file as
the c8 rook can be attacked by the bishop. I was
preparing to swap queens and go on the defensive as I
have lost any initiative I had - going for the draw.
CM8K says I should of taken the pawn, but surely this
will allow an X-Ray on my Queen and Rook?

{ MH: Black's position is bad and that might've been
the only way to try and survive. }

21. gxf5 Bh3? 22. e5 works as a lead vest.

22. Re3 Rce8

Now was the last chance for 22...gxf5.

23. b4 Na4 24. Bh3 Qc4

After the exchange of queens (if that happens) this
endgame looks like a draw to me.

Probably not. 25. Qxc4 bxc4 26. Ra3! Nb6 27. Rxa6 and White has a
passed pawn to his advantage.

{ MH: White's pieces are much more active, so it only takes
a little creative imagination to find that pawn e7 and pawn a6
are very exposed and weak. }

25. fxg6 fxg6??

The losing move. I was thinking about opening up the
f-file as before, but completely missed 26. Be6+.
After 25 ..hxg6 I'd guess thats heading for my planned
draw.

26. Be6+!

{ MH: +- Time for black to resign. }

26...Rf7 27. Rf3 Rf8

Old May 12th 04, 11:06 PM
Antonio Torrecillas

En/na Mark S. Hathaway ha escrit:

Toni Lassila wrote:

[Event ""]
[Site ""]
[Date "5-11-2004"]
[Round ""]
[White "Josh - Age 9"]
[Black "Adam"]
[Result "1-0"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 a6 6. Rg1?! g6
7. g4 Bg7 8. g5 Nfd7 9. Be3 O-O 10. Nd5?
10...Nc6 11. h3 Nxd4? 12. Bxd4 Bxd4 13. Qxd4 Ne5
14. Rg3 Be6 15. O-O-O Bxd5 16. exd5 Rc8!
17. f4! Nd7 18. Rd2 b5 19. Kb1 Nc5
20. f5 Qd7? 21. h4 Qc7 22. Re3 Rce8
23. b4 Na4 24. Bh3 Qc4 25. fxg6 fxg6?? 26. Be6+!

I find strange that none of both you (Toni and Mark) comment a "bad
looking" move like 23.b4.

This is a very dangereous move (with the white king in b1), and maybe it
is actually a good move and that can be proved tactically (or not), ...
but at first view seems very suspicious.

AT

Old May 13th 04, 06:58 AM
Roman M. Parparov

Luis Matos wrote:
Adam Godwin wrote:

[Event ""]
[Site ""]
[Date "5-11-2004"]
[Round ""]
[White "Josh - Age 9"]
[Black "Adam"]
[Result "1-0"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 a6 6.
Rg1 g6 ( 6... e6
7. g4 )

I'm hoping you will analyse my planning rather than
the tactics.

Please let me go only in the opening, and talk about planning rather
than tactics

After 5 --- a6 (Najdorf), your opponent didn't move precisely one the
best known moves, but a challenging one in the flank.

You replied almost afraid of the new move (or perhaps the new player
too!) 6 Rg1 g6 only gives value to Rg1.

I doubt this statement, because against the Dragon you need to open files
at the kingside, especially the h-file, and pushing the g-pawn alone
doesn't make any progress.

I would suggest continue as the old rules say: "against a flank attack,
hit in the center" and "develop your pieces"

I would go on my Najdorf, e6 or e5 according to personnel taste, (e6 is
my favorite), and let him g5 but taking advantage to look for an
appropiate d5, Qc7, b5, Be7, etc etc

6....e6 lets the dubiousness of 6.Rg1 to dissolve partially, after 7.g4
we're back in sort of Keres Attack. In general, 6.Rg1 is a move to try
and force Keres Attack situations.

6....e5 is definitely topical and cannot be bad.

6....b5 is worth consideration, because 7....b4 is a serious threat,

6....h5!? might devoid 6.Rg1 completely, moreover black hasn't committed
to K-side castling.

Anyways, black played a complicated opening which is obviously beyond
his current level of chess understanding.

best regards
Luis

--
Roman M. Parparov - NASA EOSDIS project node at TAU technical manager.
Email: http://www.nasa.proj.ac.il/
Old May 13th 04, 10:06 AM
Adam Godwin

Thanks.

I still believe g6 was a strong move and wasnt giving up the center.
Usually I play e6 instead of e5.

I agree that this opening is probably beyond me at the moment, but I
find most other ones boring.

I also agree that srategically the exchange of B+K for B+K was bad as
the white Q was placed in the middle. Although I seem to remember there
was some reason for this, ah thats it... I want to do b5 and get my
bishop out to b7. But looking at it closer this wasnt possible.

Moving the knight to e5 was a waste of time... should of gone to c5
straight away. Qc7 wasted time as well.

I reckon it went downhill due to some dodgy thinking behind that B+K
exchange. The rest was because of that.. Cheers... i ve learnt alot
from this.

Old May 14th 04, 06:12 PM
Mark S. Hathaway

Toni Lassila wrote:

[Event ""]
[Site ""]
[Date "5-11-2004"]
[Round ""]
[White "Josh - Age 9"]
[Black "Adam"]
[Result "1-0"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 a6 6. Rg1?! g6
7. g4 Bg7 8. g5 Nfd7 9. Be3 O-O 10. Nd5?
10...Nc6 11. h3 Nxd4? 12. Bxd4 Bxd4 13. Qxd4 Ne5
14. Rg3 Be6 15. O-O-O Bxd5 16. exd5 Rc8!
17. f4! Nd7 18. Rd2 b5 19. Kb1 Nc5
20. f5 Qd7? 21. h4 Qc7 22. Re3 Rce8
23. b4 Na4 24. Bh3 Qc4 25. fxg6 fxg6?? 26. Be6+!

I find strange that none of both you (Toni and Mark) comment a "bad
looking" move like 23.b4.

This is a very dangereous move (with the white king in b1), and maybe it
is actually a good move and that can be proved tactically (or not), ...
but at first view seems very suspicious.

I was very tempted to blast it, but after looking at it's specifics
for a minute I decided it was good. I'd hate to criticize a move
only on it's suspicious appearance.

OTOH, if you'd like to discuss the position then I'd be happy
to weigh in more fully. I don't think it's a rich position for
educational purposes though.