Old May 15th 04, 06:30 PM
Benjamin Jordan

Default What kind of chess set is this?

I learned to play on a plastic set similar to this one:
http://tinyurl.com/37cgn

Is there a name for this style of pieces? The one I used was slightly
different - especially the knight, which was not a horse, but a soldier with
a funny hat. I also remember the queen having a pearl necklace, and the
pawns did not have a knob on top. The plastic was dark brown and ivory, but
not mottled like the set I linked to.

Old May 15th 04, 10:22 PM
ypauls

Overpriced?

Is there a name for this style?

Old May 17th 04, 09:19 AM

The pieces are not that old and they are most likely home made. I have sets
made of different materials using that same style. The ones I have are hand
painted by my mom. I think she still has the molds to make them. My guess
is these are being sold on e-bay by someone who has a set of the same molds.
I think they are very overpriced.

David Bohm