Old May 16th 04, 09:29 AM
Isidor Gunsberg

Default GM Carlsen

"Roman M. Parparov" wrote in message ...
Wlodzimierz Holsztynski wrote:

yes, they got all kind of advantages, which
kids didn't have in the past, and yes, they
used those advantages well (some of them).
Perhaps in the past they would waste their
chess talent, while today they shine early.

Wlod

I have significant doubts about the future of these too young
prodigies, about the psychological pressures they will have to
cope with. Such players often suffer from a narrower and tighter
focused life and that might lead to scizophrenical symptoms.

It's really hit or miss: Young prodigies like Leko or the
Polgars seemed to have turned out OK.

It's intersting that Fischer is still in the Top 10, in terms of
earning the GM Title at the youngest age. Once Judit Polgar broke the
record, little more than a dozen years ago, there has been steady
incremental progress.

Humpy seems to be coping OK. I haven't heard anything about Bacrot
to indicate that he's "troubled".

Ponomariov is a wreck, part part of that might be ascribed to the jinx
of becoming a World Champion, and having to "enjoy" more intensive
dealings with FIDE. His rating has quietly crept up to 2675, and he
could crack the 1700 barrier, and reach the Top 20.

Radjabov has made steady progress in the past 3 years. Having just
turned 17, his future seems promising.

Bu is a silent figure on the Chess Scene. He certainly gained some
of his GM norms under very "favorable" circumstances. He is now 18,
and is well over 2600, and well into the ranks of the Top 100 players.
However, he doesn't seem to have the aura of greatness. He first
cracked 2600 2 years ago, and his rating has fluctuated since. But
2621 is a personal best for him

Karjakian is still only 14, and poised to crack the 2600 barrier.
He is still "on course".

Carlsen is certainly stronger than the 2552 rating that is listed
for him. If he maintains an active schedule he could crack the Top 100
by year's end.
His rating has risen from 2484 in January, 2004

At any rate, of those in the list, only Fischer, and to some degree
Ponomariov, display any manifestations of psychopathology...

Of course, if you take OTHER prodigies, like Kamsky and Hikaru
Nakamura, your concerns about their well-being seem to have merit.

------------------------------------
Player Final GM norm at: April 2004
FIDE Rating
& Ranking Birth
date

Bobby Fischer 15 years, 6 months, 1 day N/A 2780
1943-03-09
Judit Polgar 15 years, 4 months, 28 days 9th 2728
1976-07-23
Koneru Humpy 15 years, 4 months, 28 days 505th 2513
1987-03-31
***3rd *** highest Ranked Woman player
Peter Leko 14 years, 4 months, 22 days 4th 2741
1979-09-08
Etienne Bacrot 14 years, 2 months, 0 days 27th 2675
1983-01-22
Ruslan Ponomariov 14 years, 0 months, 17 days 10th 2722
1983-10-11
Teimour Radjabov 14 years, 0 months, 14 days 31st 2670
1987-03-12
Bu Xiangzhi 13 years, 10 months, 13 days 76th 2621
1985-12-10
Magnus Carlsen 13 years, 3 months, 27 days 274th 2552
1990-11-30
Sergey Karjakin 12 years, 7 months, 0 days 170th 2580
1990-01-12

Polgar, Judit

Rating change since January 2000
Period Chart Rtng Chg G
Jan00 2658 29
Jul00 2656 -2 39
Oct00 2656 0 0
Jan01 2676 20 34
Apr01 2678 2 10
Jul01 2686 8 13
Oct01 2686 0 0
Jan02 2677 -9 19
Apr02 2677 0 0
Jul02 2681 4 1
Oct02 2685 4 2
Jan03 2700 15 25
Apr03 2715 15 13
Jul03 2718 3 9
Oct03 2722 4 9
Jan04 2728 6 6
Apr04 2728 0 0

Koneru, Humpy

Rating change since January 2000
Period Chart Rtng Chg G
Jan00 2244 30
Jul00 2286 42 46
Oct00 2299 13 18
Jan01 2299 0 0
Apr01 2311 12 6
Jul01 2387 76 39
Oct01 2484 97 37
Jan02 2539 55 35
Apr02 2486 -53 27
Jul02 2473 -13 34
Oct02 2484 11 11
Jan03 2496 12 22
Apr03 2496 0 13
Jul03 2468 -28 16
Oct03 2485 17 42
Jan04 2498 13 47
Apr04 2513 15 44

Leko, Peter

Rating change since January 2000
Period Chart Rtng Chg G
Jan00 2725 26
Jul00 2743 18 29
Oct00 2748 5 8
Jan01 2745 -3 16
Apr01 2730 -15 23
Jul01 2730 0 0
Oct01 2739 9 10
Jan02 2713 -26 11
Apr02 2707 -6 22
Jul02 2722 15 9
Oct02 2743 21 13
Jan03 2736 -7 11
Apr03 2746 10 12
Jul03 2739 -7 9
Oct03 2722 -17 10
Jan04 2722 0 0
Apr04 2741 19 25

Bacrot, Etienne

Rating change since January 2000
Period Chart Rtng Chg G
Jan00 2594 20
Jul00 2613 19 22
Oct00 2613 0 0
Jan01 2618 5 21
Apr01 2627 9 11
Jul01 2653 26 31
Oct01 2653 0 11
Jan02 2649 -4 13
Apr02 2653 4 9
Jul02 2653 0 16
Oct02 2653 0 0
Jan03 2671 18 35
Apr03 2654 -17 9
Jul03 2645 -9 23
Oct03 2664 19 21
Jan04 2664 0 11
Apr04 2675 11 16

Ponomariov, Ruslan

Rating change since January 2000
Period Chart Rtng Chg G
Jan00 2621 31
Jul00 2630 9 7
Oct00 2624 -6 5
Jan01 2677 53 45
Apr01 2673 -4 8
Jul01 2684 11 29
Oct01 2684 0 0
Jan02 2727 43 38
Apr02 2743 16 19
Jul02 2743 0 0
Oct02 2743 0 0
Jan03 2734 -9 11
Apr03 2718 -16 25
Jul03 2718 0 0
Oct03 2718 0 0
Jan04 2722 4 8
Apr04 2722 0 0

Radjabov, Teimour

Rating change since January 2000
Period Chart Rtng Chg G
Jan00 2459 20
Jul00 2476 17 30
Oct00 2476 0 0
Jan01 2483 7 30
Apr01 2533 50 22
Jul01 2558 25 29
Oct01 2567 9 9
Jan02 2599 32 20
Apr02 2610 11 9
Jul02 2618 8 9
Oct02 2628 10 8
Jan03 2624 -4 23
Apr03 2644 20 25
Jul03 2648 4 9
Oct03 2650 2 19
Jan04 2656 6 9
Apr04 2670 14 12

Bu, Xiangzhi

Rating change since January 2000
Period Chart Rtng Chg G
Jan00 2565 57
Jul00 2570 5 43
Oct00 2570 0 0
Jan01 2558 -12 13
Apr01 2558 0 0
Jul01 2553 -5 29
Oct01 2569 16 19
Jan02 2593 24 8
Apr02 2601 8 9
Jul02 2602 1 9
Oct02 2601 -1 12
Jan03 2569 -32 46
Apr03 2588 19 18
Jul03 2588 0 0
Oct03 2606 18 11
Jan04 2600 -6 21
Apr04 2621 21 33

Carlsen, Magnus

Rating change since January 2000
Period Chart Rtng Chg G
Jan00 0 0
Jul00 0 0 0
Oct00 0 0 0
Jan01 0 0 0
Apr01 2064 2064 15
Jul01 2084 20 11
Oct01 2072 -12 19
Jan02 2127 55 12
Apr02 2163 36 14
Jul02 2214 51 19
Oct02 2250 36 33
Jan03 2279 29 12
Apr03 2356 77 19
Jul03 2385 29 25
Oct03 2450 65 36
Jan04 2484 34 45
Apr04 2552 68 35

Karjakin, Sergey

Rating change since January 2000
Period Chart Rtng Chg G
Jan00 2206 20
Jul00 2250 44 15
Oct00 2250 0 0
Jan01 2269 19 17
Apr01 2262 -7 2
Jul01 2338 76 23
Oct01 2388 50 19
Jan02 2460 72 53
Apr02 2489 29 22
Jul02 2523 34 26
Oct02 2527 4 31
Jan03 2547 20 13
Apr03 2556 9 22
Jul03 2560 4 15
Oct03 2562 2 19
Jan04 2566 4 15
Apr04 2580 14 16
Old May 16th 04, 07:07 PM
Ron Suarez

Snip

Of course, if you take OTHER prodigies, like Kamsky and Hikaru
Nakamura, your concerns about their well-being seem to have merit.

Kamsky had an "interesting" father. The last I heard he was in
medical school pursuing a health care career. What's psycho about
that (unless he drops his training and becomes a worthless
psychiatrist)?

What's wrong with Nakamura? He seems to be doing all right from when
I have seen him and from what I have read.

Ron Suarez
Old May 18th 04, 04:51 AM
Isidor Gunsberg

Ron Suarez wrote in message . ..
Snip

Of course, if you take OTHER prodigies, like Kamsky and Hikaru
Nakamura, your concerns about their well-being seem to have merit.

Kamsky had an "interesting" father. The last I heard he was in
medical school pursuing a health care career. What's psycho about
that (unless he drops his training and becomes a worthless
psychiatrist)?

What's wrong with Nakamura? He seems to be doing all right from when
I have seen him and from what I have read.

Ron Suarez

His playing strength seems fine. No doubt he'll win a few US
Championships. But he is not much threat to advance to the top
echelons.

Nakamura is reputed to have a rather unpleasant personality, even
to the point of being contumacious. He has been the focus of
controversy and disputes.

Just search through rgc, and you'll find plenty of source material.
Old May 18th 04, 06:07 AM
Robert Maxwell

On Sun, 16 May 2004 18:07:30 GMT, Ron Suarez wrote:
Snip

Of course, if you take OTHER prodigies, like Kamsky and Hikaru
Nakamura, your concerns about their well-being seem to have merit.

Kamsky had an "interesting" father. The last I heard he was in
medical school pursuing a health care career. What's psycho about
that (unless he drops his training and becomes a worthless
psychiatrist)?

According to more recent sources, the medical school turned out to be a law school:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=1539

As I am sure you well recall, in 1996 Roustam Kamsky announced that Gata was quitting chess
to go to medical school. This lacked credibility because Gata never even went to high school,
so how could he go to medical school (he graduated from high school in Russia at the age of 13,
before he came to America). Roustam Kamsky told me that in the intervening years Gata Kamsky
had achieved very high scores on all the entrance examinations, had gone to Brooklyn College
and completed his BA degree in just two years instead of the usual four, and had gone to medical
school, but for only one year. So, he dropped out of medical school because he did not like being
a doctor and went law school instead. Gata is right now in his final semester of Law School and
will graduate in May.

Old May 24th 04, 01:18 AM
TomD

Robert Maxwell wrote in message ...
According to more recent sources, the medical school turned out to be a law school:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=1539

Well, sure. But do you consider Sam Sloan a reputable source? ;-)

Old June 2nd 04, 10:26 PM
Toivo Pudas

I have significant doubts about the future of these too young
prodigies, about the psychological pressures they will have to
cope with. Such players often suffer from a narrower and tighter
focused life and that might lead to scizophrenical symptoms.

You can read a long interview of Magnus Carlsen here

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=1614

I saw the boy two years ago in Finland, and I would not call him a future scizo.

Toivo Pudas
Finland