Old May 19th 04, 06:31 PM
LF

Default Blacks Position wasn't grave by this point, surely?

A recent game I played against a friend. He promptly resigned
after 12 moves, in which he claimed he had completely lost it!?
He takes his chess quite seriously too.

Philidor Defence

1. e2-e4 e7-e5
2. g1-f3 d7-d6
3. f1-c4 h7-h6
4. c2-c3 g8-f6
5. d2-d4 c8-g4
6. d4xe5 g4xf3
7. d1xf3 d6xe5
8. o-o f8-d6
9. b1-a3 a7-a6
10. c1-d2 b8-d7
11. b2-b4 o-o
12. a1-d1 Resigns

Old May 19th 04, 07:53 PM
Dominik Hümer

"LF" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
after 12 moves, in which he claimed he had completely lost it!?

Well, I am no expert in this opening, but i feel the position is quite
equal. White has positional troubles as well (e.g.Na3), so it is definitly
playable.
Are there other opinions?
Nik

Old May 19th 04, 08:15 PM
Antonio Torrecillas

En/na LF ha escrit:
A recent game I played against a friend. He promptly resigned
after 12 moves, in which he claimed he had completely lost it!?
He takes his chess quite seriously too.

Philidor Defence

1. e2-e4 e7-e5
2. g1-f3 d7-d6
3. f1-c4 h7-h6
4. c2-c3 g8-f6
5. d2-d4 c8-g4
6. d4xe5 g4xf3
7. d1xf3 d6xe5
8. o-o f8-d6
9. b1-a3 a7-a6
10. c1-d2 b8-d7
11. b2-b4 o-o
12. a1-d1 Resigns

White has an small advantage.

Resignation has no sense here.

AT

Old May 19th 04, 08:15 PM
Doctor SBD

White is better, but the position is very dynamic. Anyone could still win,
depending on future play. I would bet on white, but a lot can happen.

I have enough trouble getting my opponents to resign a queen down, let alone
when a computer would rank the position as a slight plus for White!

SBD
Old May 20th 04, 06:44 PM
Mike Ogush

On Wed, 19 May 2004 18:31:06 +0100, LF wrote:

A recent game I played against a friend. He promptly resigned
after 12 moves, in which he claimed he had completely lost it!?
He takes his chess quite seriously too.

Philidor Defence

1. e2-e4 e7-e5
2. g1-f3 d7-d6
3. f1-c4 h7-h6
4. c2-c3 g8-f6
5. d2-d4 c8-g4
6. d4xe5 g4xf3
7. d1xf3 d6xe5
8. o-o f8-d6
9. b1-a3 a7-a6
10. c1-d2 b8-d7
11. b2-b4 o-o
12. a1-d1 Resigns

In the final position White has a slight advantage. However, I would
guess that your friend did not resign based on an objective evaluation
of the position on the board, but rather on what happened before.

With either 6.Qb3 or 7.gxf3 White could have won a pawn with almost no
compensation for Black. Also Black missed 10...Bxa3! winning a peice
for no compensation.

When he saifd that he "had lost it" I think that he might have just
been disgusted with his level of play and perhaps yours as well for
not taking advantage of his mistakes.

Old May 22nd 04, 05:06 PM
Luis Matos

Mike Ogush wrote:

On Wed, 19 May 2004 18:31:06 +0100, LF wrote:

In the final position White has a slight advantage. However, I would
guess that your friend did not resign based on an objective evaluation
of the position on the board, but rather on what happened before.

With either 6.Qb3 or 7.gxf3 White could have won a pawn with almost no
compensation for Black. Also Black missed 10...Bxa3! winning a peice
for no compensation.

I agree with you.

After seeing that we have not seeing 10 --- Bxa3 winning that knight or
the bishop, our desire for continuing playing will be below zero. It
will very hard to continue playing, with that "non-seen move" in our mind

best regards
Luis

Old May 22nd 04, 10:24 PM
Antonio Torrecillas

En/na Luis Matos ha escrit:
Mike Ogush wrote:

On Wed, 19 May 2004 18:31:06 +0100, LF wrote:

In the final position White has a slight advantage. However, I would
guess that your friend did not resign based on an objective evaluation
of the position on the board, but rather on what happened before.

With either 6.Qb3 or 7.gxf3 White could have won a pawn with almost no
compensation for Black. Also Black missed 10...Bxa3! winning a peice
for no compensation.

I agree with you.

After seeing that we have not seeing 10 --- Bxa3 winning that knight or
the bishop, our desire for continuing playing will be below zero. It
will very hard to continue playing, with that "non-seen move" in our mind

best regards
Luis

There is a Kasimdzhamov-Kasparov game (Batumi 2001) where black could
won a rook in the opening (the blunder was in 10th move).

In that case Kasparov did not resign (with that "non-seen move" in his
mind) and won in 29 moves.

AT

Old May 23rd 04, 08:48 PM
Luis Matos

Antonio Torrecillas wrote:

There is a Kasimdzhamov-Kasparov game (Batumi 2001) where black could
won a rook in the opening (the blunder was in 10th move).

In that case Kasparov did not resign (with that "non-seen move" in his
mind) and won in 29 moves.

AT

Perhaps that's why Kasparov have had the highest rating ever in the world.

When any friend has asked me who is, in my opinion, the best world chess
player ever, I like to reply: "Kasparov in the next round to one of his
defeats"

Please go on that games played by Kasparov after losing. You will see
excellent board fights.

best regards
Luis