Old May 21st 04, 08:40 PM
Your Name

Default Few informations for beginner...

Hello,

I'm beginning at chess and I would learn 2 ou 3 openings to start .
Can someone help me about this ?

Thanks a lot.

Old May 21st 04, 10:51 PM
Matt Nemmers

"Your Name" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm beginning at chess and I would learn 2 ou 3 openings to start .
Can someone help me about this ?

Thanks a lot.

1.e4
or
1.d4

Regards,

Matt

Old May 21st 04, 11:42 PM
Ron

In article , Your Name
wrote:

Hello,

I'm beginning at chess and I would learn 2 ou 3 openings to start .
Can someone help me about this ?

Thanks a lot.

Yes.

Don't study openings. Study tactics.

I know this isn't what you asked, but it will help you win more games.
Old May 22nd 04, 01:11 AM
Claus-Jürgen Heigl

Your Name wrote:

Hello,

I'm beginning at chess and I would learn 2 ou 3 openings to start .
Can someone help me about this ?

Have a look at the pages of the Exeter chess club. Lots of advice, and
about more than only openings.

Start he http://www.ex.ac.uk/~dregis/DR/programme.html

Claus-Juergen
Old May 22nd 04, 02:11 AM
David Bohm

I do not recommend that a beginner memorizes openings. You should learn
good opening principles, study tactics, strategy and end games. Once you
have more experience and understand your strengths and weaknesses better you
can then pick openings that match your style of play.

David Bohm

Old May 22nd 04, 04:00 AM
Luis Matos

"Your Name" wrote in message

Hello,

I'm beginning at chess and I would learn 2 ou 3 openings to start .
Can someone help me about this ?

Thanks a lot.

I recommend do the three things

1 - study tactics, perhaps reproducing GMs games

2 - study ideas on the openings, strategy and principles

3 - but, please, DO study openings .. and not only ideas, but sequences

memorizing is an excellent exercise

best regards and enjoy your chess games
Luis

Old May 22nd 04, 04:12 AM
David Bohm

I agree that memorizing opening sequences are important, I just do not feel
they are important for a beginner. Once the beginner is able to define
their style of play is when they start to memorize sequences for those
openings that match their style of play.

Without having a good understanding of strategy, tactics and opening
principles, the memorization does not help since you would have no idea how
to reply to a move made by your opponent that is not in a memorized opening
line.

Just my humble opinion
David Bohm

Old May 22nd 04, 09:59 AM
Toni Lassila

On Fri, 21 May 2004 15:42:48 -0700, Ron
wrote:

Don't study openings. Study tactics.

I know this isn't what you asked, but it will help you win more games.

Might I also add that besides tactics, study positional play. Tactics
only really emerge from a position that is better than your opponents,
so unless one knows how to get oneself into a superior position the
tactics might be hard to come by or simply just aren't there.

--
King's Gambit - http://kingsgambit.blogspot.com
Chess problems, tactics, analysis and more.
Old May 24th 04, 02:30 PM
Cesar A. K. Grossmann

David Bohm wrote:

I agree that memorizing opening sequences are important, I just do not feel
they are important for a beginner. Once the beginner is able to define
their style of play is when they start to memorize sequences for those
openings that match their style of play.

As a patzer (a person that is beginner for more than 10 years is a
patzer or what?), I find it important to learn common traps and how to
avoid them. The Noah's Ark is one that you need to take care not to step
in it...

BTW, maybe studying the ideas behind the opennings can be a way to
improve your strategy (if only I could tell when and how to do a "pawn
storm")...

P.S.: Sorry for the "engrish".
[]s
--
..O. Cesar A. K. Grossmann ICQ UIN: 35659423
...O http://www.LinuxByGrossmann.cjb.net/
Old May 24th 04, 03:02 PM
henri Arsenault

Although most peoiple would agree that it is better to study tactics
than openings, you should still learn one or two to get an idea of how
to play an opening. But concentrate on ideas, because few opponents of
your strength are likely to follow the book for more than four or five
moves.

Tactical opportunities are unlikely to occur in games where you have a
lost game.

Note at your level, both players are likely to have a winning position
more than once in the game and to flub it. So it is useful to go over
your games with Fritz or a similar engine interactively and to
understand where you made serious mistakes and how you cold have
exploited those of the opponent.

Henri