Old May 25th 04, 01:25 PM
henri Arsenault

Default why is sicilian with 2.Bf4 so popular?

Playing blitz games on ICC, I have noticed a sudden and recent tendency
for White players to reply 2.Bf4 to 1...c5, an opening that goes under
"Unusual" in the Fritz database, and for which there is only a single
note in myh vrsion of Encyclopedia of Chess Openings (it is an old
edition). I now face this response about 80% of the time when I play the
sicilian on ICC.

Does anyone know why this variation is suddenly so popular? Some
Grandmaster must have won a specacular win with it, or a column or a
book about it must have recently appeared.

Any ideas?

Henri
Old May 25th 04, 02:01 PM
Antonio Torrecillas

En/na henri Arsenault ha escrit:

Playing blitz games on ICC, I have noticed a sudden and recent tendency
for White players to reply 2.Bf4 to 1...c5, an opening that goes under
"Unusual" in the Fritz database, and for which there is only a single
note in myh vrsion of Encyclopedia of Chess Openings (it is an old
edition). I now face this response about 80% of the time when I play the
sicilian on ICC.

Does anyone know why this variation is suddenly so popular? Some
Grandmaster must have won a specacular win with it, or a column or a
book about it must have recently appeared.

Any ideas?

Henri

I have never seen Bf4 in the second move of a Sicilian.

If you mean Bc4, it's the move Anderssen played in the past many times.

But I do not know any modern game to converet this line in very popular
(no matter some imaginative master play it like Mr Buecker)

An explanation is that you wrote about playing blitz with 1000-1400
players, and maybe they have not studied opening yet. Or maybe they
expected 1.e4 e5 2.Bc4 and have not pay attention to your second move.

One idea is to ask them after the games.

AT

Old May 25th 04, 02:19 PM
Luis Matos

If it is Sicilian, it should be 1 e4 c5, but now 2 Bf4 does not exist.
You have not moved your d pawn; you can't play 2 Bf4

I see three possibilies

1) it is 2 Bc4; in that case, just 2 --- e6 could be a natural reply

2) it is 1 d4 c5 2 Bf4; just 2 --- cxd4

3) it is --- Bf4 after moving d pawn.

best regards
Luis

Old May 25th 04, 04:45 PM
Toni Lassila

On Tue, 25 May 2004 09:19:17 -0400, Luis Matos
wrote:

If it is Sicilian, it should be 1 e4 c5, but now 2 Bf4 does not exist.
You have not moved your d pawn; you can't play 2 Bf4

Ah, it's the novel "teleporting bishop attack"!

--
King's Gambit - http://kingsgambit.blogspot.com
Chess problems, tactics, analysis and more.

Old May 26th 04, 12:40 PM
henri Arsenault

In article ,
Luis Matos wrote:

If it is Sicilian, it should be 1 e4 c5, but now 2 Bf4 does not exist.
You have not moved your d pawn; you can't play 2 Bf4

I see three possibilies

1) it is 2 Bc4; in that case, just 2 --- e6 could be a natural reply

Sorry yes it is Bc4, and my reply is usually e6, which is the most
frequenjt move in the few games in the Fritz database.

Henri
Old May 26th 04, 04:43 PM
sid

I always viewed 2.Bc4 as a dubious placement of White's KB since after
2...e6 it bites on granite. However, there were a lot of games as Black
where I found myself struggling. I think the reason for this was that I
always wanted to "refute" the Bishop's placement by kicking it with an early
....d5, which is a thematic move in so many Sicilians. I later realized that
....d5 often does more to justify White's Bc4 than it does to punish it since
after pawn exchanges White's misplaced Bishop is not so misplaced anymore.
Now I aim to gain space on the Qside with ...a6 and ...b5, but I hold back
....d5 as long as possible, and White usually struggles to get his KB back
into the game. I think Black has at least equality, perhaps a slight edge
based on better piece placement.

Old May 26th 04, 07:11 PM
TruthXayer

Luis Matos wrote:

If it is Sicilian, it should be 1 e4 c5, but now 2 Bf4 does not exist.
You have not moved your d pawn; you can't play 2 Bf4

I see three possibilies

1) it is 2 Bc4; in that case, just 2 --- e6 could be a natural reply

Sorry yes it is Bc4, and my reply is usually e6, which is the most
frequenjt move in the few games in the Fritz database.

Henri

Actually Fine says Bc4 is a questionable move since the bishop can be
harassed there later. This is in plan with blacks queenside onslaught
of b5. But the Bc4 bishop can be still dangerous and used for attack
with whites onslaught on kingside. I prefer the quiet Be2, which seems
to be seen a lot too. Actually i recently saw a de firmian game where
the bishop went from e2-f3(After f4) and castled on kingside with an
amazing attack following at same time having a safe king on h1.

Just entering the sicilian maze and already getting lost, Can someone
who has mastered the sicilian give hints on how to go about this
opening? Take it variation by variation or just get a rough idea for
each main line? Almost seems like you have to go into all variations
in detail for each line to master it since each variation has subtly
different ideas....

later,
Old May 26th 04, 07:41 PM
henri Arsenault

In article ,
"sid" wrote:

I always viewed 2.Bc4 as a dubious placement of White's KB since after
2...e6 it bites on granite. However, there were a lot of games as Black
where I found myself struggling. I think the reason for this was that I
always wanted to "refute" the Bishop's placement by kicking it with an early
...d5, which is a thematic move in so many Sicilians. I later realized that
...d5 often does more to justify White's Bc4 than it does to punish it since
after pawn exchanges White's misplaced Bishop is not so misplaced anymore.
Now I aim to gain space on the Qside with ...a6 and ...b5, but I hold back
...d5 as long as possible, and White usually struggles to get his KB back
into the game. I think Black has at least equality, perhaps a slight edge
based on better piece placement.

Yes I agree, best is ...e3 and then to develop naturally, avoiding a
premature d5 (and especially not e4 if one castles kingside, because
then the Bishop is pinning the black f-pawn against the King. If I play
b5 later with a view to pressuring White's queenside, I gain a tempo
against the c4 bishop. Actually I usually go for a hedgehog position,
and my Queen on c7 threatening the unproteced Bishop on c4 if the pawn
between them is exchanged usually motivates White to move the bishop
away with loss of tempo.

I agree that it is not such a good move, but I was wondering why so many
players play it against the Sicilian. I suspect that there must be a new
book or a chess column on the subject.

Henri
Old May 26th 04, 08:17 PM
Mike Ogush

I think that 2.Bc4 is played by those who want to get Black out of
book (or at least familiar positions) as rapidly as possible. They
may want to take you out your favorite variation assuming that you
don't normally play early ...e6 or early ...a6 - in both of thos
variations Bc4 has little impact.

On Wed, 26 May 2004 10:43:09 -0500, "sid" wrote:

I always viewed 2.Bc4 as a dubious placement of White's KB since after
2...e6 it bites on granite. However, there were a lot of games as Black
where I found myself struggling. I think the reason for this was that I
always wanted to "refute" the Bishop's placement by kicking it with an early
...d5, which is a thematic move in so many Sicilians. I later realized that
...d5 often does more to justify White's Bc4 than it does to punish it since
after pawn exchanges White's misplaced Bishop is not so misplaced anymore.
Now I aim to gain space on the Qside with ...a6 and ...b5, but I hold back
...d5 as long as possible, and White usually struggles to get his KB back
into the game. I think Black has at least equality, perhaps a slight edge
based on better piece placement.

There is nothing wrong with playing ...d5 early although I would play
....a6 first to prevent Bb5+. There is a saying or rule-of-thumb
regarding the Sicilian that goes "if Black can play ...d5 without
suffering any consequences he will achive at least equality." I think
that it applies here. It is only when Black tries to play "normally"
as if White had played 2.Nf3, 3.d4, and 4.Nxd4 that he can run into
trouble after an early Bc4.