Old May 27th 04, 09:28 AM
Holbox

Default What do you think about ct-art 3.0?

That's the point.

Thx

Old May 27th 04, 11:26 AM
pgeorges

Holbox a écrit :
That's the point.

Thx

CT Art 3.0 is a great software, but a bit hard for me. That's why I also
purchased "Chess Tactics for beginners", suitable for players with an
ELO 1800.

Old May 27th 04, 01:26 PM
Luther Barnum

I love it. I have Total Chess Training and have not regretted it. ct-art 3.0
makes you think about tactics in a whole different way. I am now just taking
people apart in the middlegame that I otherwise would have missed the
winning shot.

"Holbox" wrote in message
That's the point.

Thx

Old May 27th 04, 08:17 PM
adam w.

I have used this software quite heavily and I credit it with helping
me raise my strength by 300 pts to somewhere around 1700 USCF. The
software is based on Maxim Blokh's Art of Chess Combination which was
considered by many to be an exceptionally fine set of tactics
exercises. CT-ART got a big boost from de laMaza's article and book on
Rapid Chess Improvement. Both of which are, IMO, seriously overrated
though both have merit. For $26 CT ART is a good deal (the book is
hard to find but sold for about half that). However, I would not
recommend it for 1400 USCF , Instead I would suggest Bain's Tactics
for Students.

That was the summary - there follows a long winded review:

Strengths:

This is a very fine tactics set. Many of the positions are either
side to move and win which means that the positions have a lot of
tension and one must be accurate in calculating the solution.

The exercises are graded difficulty levels 1-9. ( Level 4 is way
harder than anything I encounter in my games). I have tackled some
level 5 problems but for me this requires hours of work.

The software forces you to find the best solution - it wont let you
be lazy and get away with just seeing the idea.

The software will provide hints in the form of diagram arrows and also
a 5x5 board in which the key tactical motif is presented. Asking for
hints incurs a point penalty

CT ART willl also keep track of which problems you have worked, score
your results on tests and estimate your ELO

There is the option of a "Playing board" where you can move the
pieces around to explore variations and also get help from the built
in Dragon & Crafty Engines

The price is reasonable: $26

Weaknesses:

The user interface sucks! It has the look of something that was
written in DOS and ported to WIN 3.0. In addition to a generally
cumbersome and awkard feel, buttons appear in the wrong place. Menus
are confusing. If you click things in the wrong order it will hang
or fail to repaint itself properly on the screen. It makes Chess base
look good. Pieces move with glacial speed - 40 secs to move a rook
from the a to the h file. Changing the speed in the options tab seems
to have a purely random effect - sometimes they creep at a snails pace
sometimes they flick with lightening speed. This last problem seems
to have gone away since I moved to XP

The Dragon engine is crap! It fails to solve a significant number of
the level 3 problems. Crafty does a lot better (of course) but if
you do choose Crafty then, unlike Dragon, there is no display of the
lines it is calculating , it just moves at the end of its alloted
time. On a few level 3 & 4 problems, Crafty disagreed with CT ART's
solution (so did I). Now I am sure Blokh knows a thing or two about
tactics mebbe more than crafty but a level 3 exercise should not be
the subject of such a dispute.

There is no good way to just give up and see the solution or, more
usefully, the next correct move. The diagram markers didnt help me
much. The 5x5's were more useful but they are not context sensitive -
you get the same hint no matter where you are in the problem. On some
problems I was just stumped and the only way to get the answer was to
randomly move pcs until CTART decides you are out of tries and moves
for you - then you have to do this again for the next move if need be

The problems are kind of uneven - some of this isdue to the fact that
my tactics knowledge is uneven - but some definitely not

There is more but that is enough bitching for now

A final note - if you buy this software , dont order from Convekta.
They take forever. Get if from a US (or local to you) supplier. I
have had very good service from ChessCafe

Adam W

Old May 28th 04, 12:29 PM
David Richerby

adam w. wrote:
I have used this software quite heavily and I credit it with helping
me raise my strength by 300 pts to somewhere around 1700 USCF. The
software is based on Maxim Blokh's Art of Chess Combination which
was considered by many to be an exceptionally fine set of tactics
exercises. [...] For $26 CT ART is a good deal (the book is hard to
find but sold for about half that).

The book appears to be called `Art of Combination' but it's still hard
to find, even with the correct title -- it's out of print and none of
Amazon{.co.uk,.com}, Powells and Abe Books has it.

Now I am sure Blokh knows a thing or two about tactics mebbe more than
crafty but a level 3 exercise should not be the subject of such a
dispute.

Any book of tactics problems is going to have some errors in it. (I've
found a couple in Reinfeld, for instance: one where he grabs a rook
instead of forcing mate in three.) You'd hope that producing CT-Art
would involve going through the book with the sort of fine-toothed comb
that finds these things.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Zen Dish (TM): it's like a fine
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ ceramic dish that puts you in touch

Old May 31st 04, 07:09 PM
adam w.

On 28 May 2004 12:29:14 +0100 (BST), David Richerby
wrote:
Any book of tactics problems is going to have some errors in it. (I've
found a couple in Reinfeld, for instance: one where he grabs a rook
instead of forcing mate in three.) You'd hope that producing CT-Art
would involve going through the book with the sort of fine-toothed comb
that finds these things.

Unlike Reinfeld, Convekta had an electronic database and access to
powerful chess engines. How much work would it have been to run the
problem set by Crafty?

Adam W
Old June 1st 04, 12:08 AM
David Richerby

adam w. wrote:
David Richerby wrote:
Any book of tactics problems is going to have some errors in it. (I've
found a couple in Reinfeld, for instance: one where he grabs a rook
instead of forcing mate in three.) You'd hope that producing CT-Art
would involve going through the book with the sort of fine-toothed comb
that finds these things.

Unlike Reinfeld, Convekta had an electronic database and access to
powerful chess engines. How much work would it have been to run the
problem set by Crafty?

That was the sort of fine-toothed comb I had in mind, yes...

Dave.

--
David Richerby Frozen Solar-Powered Cheese (TM): it's
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ like a lump of cheese but it doesn't