Old May 29th 04, 09:34 AM

Default Best endgame book?

Hi All

I have Reuben Fine's Basic Chess Endings which while good, is old
notation (at least copy Ive got). Alos have Soltis's GM secrets:
endings.

What is considered the best endgame book? I want it to be
comprehensive and in modern notation.

Old May 29th 04, 12:20 PM
Gunny Bunny

wrote in message
Hi All

I have Reuben Fine's Basic Chess Endings which while good, is old
notation (at least copy Ive got). Alos have Soltis's GM secrets:
endings.

What is considered the best endgame book? I want it to be
comprehensive and in modern notation.

Reuben Fine's book is now available in modern annotation.

Another is "Batsford Chess Endings" by Speelman.

Old May 29th 04, 12:36 PM
Gunny Bunny

wrote in message
Hi All

I have Reuben Fine's Basic Chess Endings which while good, is old
notation (at least copy Ive got). Alos have Soltis's GM secrets:
endings.

What is considered the best endgame book? I want it to be
comprehensive and in modern notation.

Here is a list compiled by GM Spragget:

http://www.kevinspraggett.com/endgame.htm

Old May 29th 04, 03:52 PM
Bob Fairbank

It depends on your rating. If you are a Class B or less try "Essential
Chess Endings Explained Move By Move" by Jeremy Silman. It's contains
practical, usable, and down to earth info. Most of the others are
much too esoteric for mere mortals such as myself.

Old May 30th 04, 04:21 AM
Chess Player

I have Reuben Fine's Basic Chess Endings which while good, is old
notation (at least copy Ive got). Alos have Soltis's GM secrets:
endings.

What is considered the best endgame book? I want it to be
comprehensive and in modern notation.

Reuben Fine's book is now available in modern annotation.

Also, it's been revised by Pal Benko! Definitely worth checking out the
modern edition.

Old May 31st 04, 05:22 AM
Chris Roberts

Chess Endings: Essential Knowledge by Averbakh is good and has a second
edition in algebraic notation.

Old May 31st 04, 08:55 AM
[email protected]

much appreciated all, thankyou!
Old June 2nd 04, 12:10 AM
Jim Grieve

On Sat, 29 May 2004 10:52:45 -0400, Bob Fairbank wrote
(in message ):

I've been having a difficult time finding where to buy this book. Does anyone
have a source where I can order it?

Jim

It depends on your rating. If you are a Class B or less try "Essential
Chess Endings Explained Move By Move" by Jeremy Silman. It's contains
practical, usable, and down to earth info. Most of the others are
much too esoteric for mere mortals such as myself.

Posted with Hogwasher. Mac first, Mac only:
http://www.asar.com/cgi-bin/product....hogwasher.html

Old June 2nd 04, 06:17 PM
Mike Ogush

Jim,

Try the Chess House at http://www.chesshouse.com/shopexd.asp?id=2495
or Sig's Chess site
http://www.sigschess.com/Merchant2/m...od e=EEEMBMVI
Occasionally the book comes up on eBay as well.

Mike Ogush

================================================= =============

Old June 6th 04, 09:46 AM
Manuel Wehrmann

schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Hi All

I have Reuben Fine's Basic Chess Endings which while good, is old
notation (at least copy Ive got). Alos have Soltis's GM secrets:
endings.

What is considered the best endgame book? I want it to be
comprehensive and in modern notation.

By far(!) the best endgame books in 2004 are

1) Müller & Lamprecht: Fundamental Chess Endings
(Gambit Publ., London)
[ www.gambitbooks.com ]

2) Mark Dvoretsky: The Endgame Manual
[ www.chesscafe.com ]

Why they are best buy?

- Written by endgame experts.
- Everything was checked by PC + table bases.
- Many(!) exercises, for each level from beginner to GM.
- Both books are cheap (good ratio pages versus price).

I bought both books (german edition):
they complement each other,
no regrets.

Manuel Wehrmann