Old June 2nd 04, 04:38 AM
Ivan

Default TD Question regarding USCF policy

I read in Chess Life that the USCF wants TDs to send in tournament
reports that have valid ID numbers for all players. It also said that
if we collect new memberships then they should be sent in and then the
numbers should be placed on the report.

Being that the USCF takes so long to process memberships, why do we
have to wait for so long for them to give us a number and then also
delay turning in a tournament report pass the 7 day deadline that they
give us in the first place?
Old June 2nd 04, 05:32 AM
Mike Nolan

(Ivan) writes:

Being that the USCF takes so long to process memberships, why do we
have to wait for so long for them to give us a number and then also
delay turning in a tournament report pass the 7 day deadline that they
give us in the first place?

Within a few weeks TD's will have a way to enter a block of memberships,
have them checked for data issues, correct any errors, then submit
them via the Internet with a credit card for payment, and get back ID
numbers for any new members within a few minutes. (As I noted in my
earlier post, about 2/3 of all individual memberships coming in from
the webstore are now being processed within a few minutes.)

Right now if a tournament report has missing ID's on it, it can take
an extra 2-3 weeks (sometimes much longer) for it to get rated. Ones
that have no missing ID's on them will get rated MUCH faster.

Bill Goichberg thinks it will be faster for the TD's to delay submitting
events until they can put in all the mssing ID's as soon as they're
available through MSA than for the office staff to have to get started
processing an event and then have to set it aside until the missing ID's
are available.

Here's a table showing how long it took the office to process the events
that were rated in May, from the time they were logged in as received
until they were rated. (Obviously, this doesn't show any unrated events.
An event at 1 week took from 7 to 13 days.)

Weeks | Events | Sections
--------+--------+----------
0 | 2 | 5
1 | 24 | 51
2 | 220 | 464
3 | 185 | 331
4 | 100 | 175
5 | 84 | 134
6 | 58 | 150
7 | 67 | 107
8 | 34 | 60
9 | 18 | 32
10 | 10 | 35
11 | 2 | 5

Note that the peak is at two weeks (14-20 days).

And here's how long events still being validated have been in the queue:

Wks | Events | Sections
----+--------+----------
1 | 15 | 23
2 | 56 | 154
3 | 152 | 345
4 | 100 | 181
5 | 9 | 33
6 | 9 | 23
7 | 13 | 28
8 | 3 | 12
9 | 2 | 5
10 | 1 | 4
11 | 1 | 7
12 | 1 | 1
13 | 1 | 2
14 | 3 | 6
15 | 1 | 2

Note that the peak here, for events that haven't been rated yet, is
already at three weeks. The ones that have been in the hopper for more
than two weeks are mostly waiting for ID's.

Here's a table showing just the delay for events waiting for missing ID's and
the total number of ID's still missing as of last Friday.

Wks | events | players
-----+--------+---------
1 | 2 | 2
2 | 22 | 456
3 | 57 | 740
4 | 17 | 50
5 | 2 | 2
6 | 2 | 4
7 | 2 | 10
9 | 1 | 33
11 | 1 | 38
12 | 1 | 9
13 | 1 | 9
14 | 3 | 324

There's a rate scheduled for tomorrow night. If everything runs well,
the crosstable and individual member records in the USCF's Member
Services Area should all be updated by about 1PM Thursday.
--
Mike Nolan
Old June 2nd 04, 07:24 AM
David Bohm

As of the April 2004 rating supplement the policy is to send in the report
without having the id numbers:

"Some of our organizers have been waiting to submit rating reports until
they get the ID numbers back from the USCF. Please do not do this. Send your
rating reports in promptly. Your efforts to insure that the ID numbers are
included in the report are greatly appreciated, especially for the large
scholastic events. However, we prefer to receive the reports as quickly as
possible to be able to rate tournaments promptly. "

Are you saying this policy has now changed?

David Bohm

m...

Old June 2nd 04, 08:18 AM
Mike Nolan

"David Bohm" writes:

Are you saying this policy has now changed?

Yes, here's the announcement on page 63 of the June 2004 Chess Life:

----------------------------

Attention TDs and Affiliates

Computer problems and staff reductions have resulted in
unusually large backlogs in processing memberships and
rating reports.

To speed up the processing of rating reports, USCF now asks
that wherever possible these reports have IDs for every player.

If you collect a new membership, do not submit your rating report
until your disk and paper reports include that player's ID number.

To assist TD's in doing this, we have made several enhancements to
our web server which will speed up online membership processing
and give TDs a quick way to obtain USCF IDs for new memberships.

We also recommend that TDs use the Member Services Area:
http://msa.uschess.org
to check for member IDs, as the data there is more up to date
than that at our old ratings site.

The search capabilities of MSA have been enhanced to assist TDs
in finding existing member IDs.

We expect much faster processing of rating reports later this year,
after our software has been rewritten. Please bear with us!

For more details, please check the USCF website,
http://www.uschess.org/rtgchange.php.

----------------------------

The page referred to above will be updated as we get further along
in the testing of the TD/Affiliate Support Area. We hope to open up
the beta testing of this new area on the website by June 12th.

TD's who have not yet gone to the Members Only area to register
their e-mail addresses are strongly encouraged to do so, as the USCF
will need to be able to contact TD's via e-mail in order for TD's
to take full advantage of the TD/Affiliate Support Area's capabilities.

Affiliates are also encouraged to register their e-mail addresses.
--
Mike Nolan
Old June 2nd 04, 09:31 AM
David Bohm

If I understand this correctly then if a TD runs a tournament and takes 200
new memberships then the TD has to enter all of these memberships online to
get IDs, enter all of those IDs then submit the ratings report?

David Bohm

Old June 2nd 04, 10:10 AM
Mike Nolan

"David Bohm" writes:

If I understand this correctly then if a TD runs a tournament and takes 200
new memberships then the TD has to enter all of these memberships online to
get IDs, enter all of those IDs then submit the ratings report?

That's the phase 1 procedure we hope to have in place shortly.

You will be able to have multiple batches that you can build up over
time and submit for checking as often as you want, so you can enter
them as you process advance registrations and can have batches for more
than one upcoming tournament.

If you have web access from the tournament site, you could key in
the memberships from onsite registrations during the tournament,
submit the batch, get back the new ID's and let new members know their
USCF ID's before the last round is over. (Turnaround for checking a
small batch is less than a minute, doing the credit card processing and
updating the membership file should only take a few minutes.)

If you're running an event that takes in 200 new members (at most a
couple dozen do every year), you should have several assistants to help
you run things anyway.

As someone with arthritis that makes it difficult to fill out big stacks
of membership forms, I'm looking forward to being able to just type them
into a computer. I suspect the office is looking forward to not having
to read my terrible handwriting.

In phase 2 there will also be a new tournament reporting format that
will combine membership and pairing information. Our hope is that the
authors of the major pairing programs will modify their software
to gather membership information during registration and build a file
that when uploaded through the interface in the TD/Affiliate Support
Area will have all the information needed to process the memberships
and then the rating reports.

Why a new reporting format? If you've ever looked at the TA files,
they don't even contain the member's NAME, so the information on
the ratings diskette for players who don't have ID's yet has NOTHING
that can help either you or the the office add in those missing ID's
later on.
--
Mike Nolan
Old June 2nd 04, 02:18 PM
michael atkins

On 2 Jun 2004 09:10:40 GMT, (Mike Nolan) wrote:

"David Bohm" writes:

If I understand this correctly then if a TD runs a tournament and takes 200
new memberships then the TD has to enter all of these memberships online to
get IDs, enter all of those IDs then submit the ratings report?

That's the phase 1 procedure we hope to have in place shortly.

So, we are in effect doing the work of people no longer working at
USCF?? We sit and do all the manual entry work that used to be done in
the office and are really off-site USCF employees.

You will be able to have multiple batches that you can build up over
time and submit for checking as often as you want, so you can enter
them as you process advance registrations and can have batches for more
than one upcoming tournament.

If you have web access from the tournament site, you could key in
the memberships from onsite registrations during the tournament,
submit the batch, get back the new ID's and let new members know their
USCF ID's before the last round is over. (Turnaround for checking a
small batch is less than a minute, doing the credit card processing and
updating the membership file should only take a few minutes.)

Are you really going to have that many staff working on Saturday
mornings when tournaments typically begin?? Or will it be an automated
process? If automated, what will prevent some joker from just
uploading tons of new members just for the fun of it?

If it involves using a credit card to establish and pay for the
memberships - THAT is a problem. I don't have credit cards aside from
VISA/ATM check cards. The money to pay for the memberships on saturday
will not be in the account until I submit the entry and membership
checks on Monday morning - it would be impossible to do this before
then. Some other system needs to be devised that doesn't require TDs
to have tons of money open in the crdet or checking accounts just to
pay for memberships online to make life for the USCF easy.

If you're running an event that takes in 200 new members (at most a
couple dozen do every year), you should have several assistants to help
you run things anyway.

And someone is going to usually have a couple thousand bucks on a
credit card that they can just use for memberships??

As someone with arthritis that makes it difficult to fill out big stacks
of membership forms, I'm looking forward to being able to just type them
into a computer. I suspect the office is looking forward to not having
to read my terrible handwriting.

I'm sure the office is looking forward to less work.

In phase 2 there will also be a new tournament reporting format that
will combine membership and pairing information. Our hope is that the
authors of the major pairing programs will modify their software
to gather membership information during registration and build a file
that when uploaded through the interface in the TD/Affiliate Support
Area will have all the information needed to process the memberships
and then the rating reports.

This sounds wonderful as long as it doesn't require immediate online
payment

Perhaps another ide for the developers, swiss sys in mind, is to use
the membership information typed into the membership form text file
and use this for the online submission. half of what you need is
already in Swiss sys, just needs to be amended and modified for USCF
use.

Why a new reporting format? If you've ever looked at the TA files,
they don't even contain the member's NAME, so the information on
the ratings diskette for players who don't have ID's yet has NOTHING
that can help either you or the the office add in those missing ID's
later on.

Swiss Sys, about 3-4 years ago, once substituted a 8 year old girl's
ID in the place of an FM who went 5-0 and won a Grand Prix tournament.
it did this and several other ID switches sometime after the close of
registration and making 1st round pairings. The girl, rated 800, was
listed as the winner of the Grand Prix tournament, getting tons of
rating points, all because the swiss sys report, like the TA report,
uses only ID numbers. It got fixed, and the bug was never replicated
but using names in the TA could be useful when people running rating
reports do not find it suspicious that someone rated 800 could go 5-0
in a FIDE Rated Grand Prix tournament

Bottom line, while this sounds good, the USCF farming out its work to
unpaid (coerced) volunteers for manual entry of membership information
and then requiring the use of credit cards to do this (prior to the
tournaments money being deposited into the bank) is not good.
Personally, if required to use a credit card I am just going to submit
the reports like usual and let the USCF do the work.

Obviously, this is ****ing me off

Michael Atkins
national tournament director

Old June 2nd 04, 06:02 PM
Mike Nolan

Note: Before you read this, please note that for the most part I am
AGREEING WITH YOU!

(michael atkins) writes:

So, we are in effect doing the work of people no longer working at
USCF??

I think the alternative is to raise dues so we can afford to hire
them back. Are you in favor of that? Is ANYONE in favor of that?

We sit and do all the manual entry work that used to be done in
the office and are really off-site USCF employees.

Think of it like this: You're selling memberships and want faster
processing of them. You can either wait two weeks for the office to
get around to doing them, and then maybe wait another two weeks to have
your event rated or you can type the memberships in yourself and get
them processed MUCH faster and have your event rated within a week.
Your choice.

Personally, I see typing the information into a computer as less work
than filling out a stack of membership forms, and as a TD I would see
that as a benefit to the players in my tournament.

If it truly is a new player, you've got to get the member information
and write it down somewhere anyway.

I think both Swis-Sys and WinTD already have the ability to key that
information into the computer during registration, so all they should
need to do is include that information in the upload file. (We may
have to have some way of updating your computer for dues changes when
they occur, possibly as part of the ratings supplement file.)

Since many of the forms I've seen (and probably more than a few I've
filled out) had incomplete or missing data, I see this as producing more
accurate records, too.

Are you really going to have that many staff working on Saturday
mornings when tournaments typically begin?? Or will it be an automated
process? If automated, what will prevent some joker from just
uploading tons of new members just for the fun of it?

Assuming the memberships pass validation, the processing of them will be
completely automated, just like the processing of individual memberships
entered on the website is now automated. (About 2/3 of the ones being
entered on the website get processed right away, the rest have to be
referred to the USCF staff to resolve data or credit card issues.)

Could someone abuse the system? Yeah, but we've seen that with the manual
system we've had in place for years, too. We can put in some safeguards
against that possibility, such as assigning a 'maximum new member' count
to each TD and/or Affiliate ID. If you're running the National Elementary,
we just raise the limit.

I think the reason Bill wanted to require the credit card payment up front
was because that is likely to prevent someone from maliciously entering
dozens of new memberships. It's kind of an expensive way to abuse the
system.

However, I think there are other (and better) ways to keep people from
abusing it.

If it involves using a credit card to establish and pay for the
memberships - THAT is a problem. I don't have credit cards aside from
VISA/ATM check cards. The money to pay for the memberships on saturday
will not be in the account until I submit the entry and membership
checks on Monday morning - it would be impossible to do this before
then. Some other system needs to be devised that doesn't require TDs
to have tons of money open in the crdet or checking accounts just to
pay for memberships online to make life for the USCF easy.

I've made the same point to Bill Goichberg several times.

My original proposal for this phase included having the new ID's assigned
right away but not activated until the payment is processed. That way you
could drop the check in the mail on Monday. (Actually, probably a stack
of checks, since you probably get checks from players made out to USCF
as well as credit card payments for some of those memberships.)

Bill didn't want to go quite that far. We could put that step back in
fairly easily.

I think you make a powerful argument for its inclusion, and if a number of
other TD's make the same point, perhaps we can convince Bill of
its desirability and necessity.

And someone is going to usually have a couple thousand bucks on a
credit card that they can just use for memberships??

I guess Bill does. :-)

This sounds wonderful as long as it doesn't require immediate online
payment

See above, I think that's a possibility. However, not requiring immediate
payment raises the issue of TD's abusing the system.

Are you trustworthy? Are other TD's? (I think most are.)

I also think the issue can largely be dealt with using some safeguards
and a bit of peer pressure.

What if the member's record on MSA included something like:

This membership has been created but not yet activated, because the
payment has not yet been received by the USCF office. The TD who
created this membership on May 15th was Joe Smith, ID 22222222,
and the affiliate was the Last Chance Chess Club, ID A33333333.

(Obviously we'd give the TD a week or two to get the money sent in before
putting up such an odious message.)

Perhaps another idea for the developers, swiss sys in mind, is to use
the membership information typed into the membership form text file
and use this for the online submission. half of what you need is
already in Swiss sys, just needs to be amended and modified for USCF
use.

I think it probably has more than half of the information needed.

Swiss Sys, about 3-4 years ago, once substituted a 8 year old girl's
ID in the place of an FM who went 5-0 and won a Grand Prix tournament.

Was this really Swis-Sys's fault or was it bad data entry or a bad
local player database?

Even if this was a true 'computer error', I think we'd catch it in the
crosstable validation stage of the new programming, because it looks
for anomalies such as results well above or below the player's rating,
players whose state, age or membership type doesn't fit in with the
rest of the players in the section, inactive players, etc.

I've been testing this algorithm since early April using reports
of incorrect ID's that have been sent to the USCF. It currently finds
most of the test cases I've given it plus some others that could be
ID errors.

But it can't find them ALL. That's why we plan to give the TD back
a validation report (probably by e-mail) showing the names, ID's and
other data on the players in each section, along with any flags that
were raised. (Another suggestion that has been made is to e-mail the
PLAYERS involved and let them know when the event has been rated.)

It's possible that some of the potential errors it find are actually OK.
The TD is in a far better position to make that decision than a computer or
even the USCF ratings department staff.

That's why the TD will have the option to change the ID or approve it
if questions were raised about it on the exceptions list from a
validation pass.

If you get a report back on your tournament (within minutes!) that shows
Sam Smith (someone you've never heard of) playing in your tournament
and a local player you know well is missing from that report, aren't
you far more likely to notice that problem than someone at the USCF office?

Using names in the TA could be useful when people running rating
reports do not find it suspicious that someone rated 800 could go 5-0
in a FIDE Rated Grand Prix tournament

Yeah, we've all had that happen. Based on the e-mail I get, I estimate
that somewhere around 1 in 20 tournaments being rated today has at
least one wrong ID or result in it.

Personally, if required to use a credit card I am just going to submit
the reports like usual and let the USCF do the work.

That's certainly your choice, though I think we'll need to offer a mix
of payment options.

If you stick with the 'traditional' method, don't you think the players
who play in your events will notice that TD's running other events in
the area get their memberships processed faster and their tournaments
rated faster?
--
Mike Nolan
Old June 2nd 04, 07:35 PM
Kenneth Sloan

(michael atkins) writes:

So, we are in effect doing the work of people no longer working at
USCF??

I think the alternative is to raise dues so we can afford to hire
them back. Are you in favor of that? Is ANYONE in favor of that?

No - the alternative is to raise RATING FEES so that we can afford to
hire them back.

We sit and do all the manual entry work that used to be done in
the office and are really off-site USCF employees.

Think of it like this: You're selling memberships and want faster
processing of them. You can either wait two weeks for the office to
get around to doing them, and then maybe wait another two weeks to have
your event rated or you can type the memberships in yourself and get
them processed MUCH faster and have your event rated within a week.
Your choice.

Or, you can not sell memberships.

Or, you can run unrated events.

I don't want "faster processing" - I want the same speed that I've
gotten in the past.

Personally, I see typing the information into a computer as less work
than filling out a stack of membership forms, and as a TD I would see
that as a benefit to the players in my tournament.

I never have internet access at any tournament site where I hold
events. If it becomes necessary to have internet access, this will
limit the number of sites that I can use.

I don't "fill out" membership forms - the players do that. Right now,
all I need to do is take their money, and give them a copy of the form
as a receipt.

USCF is fond of advertising that "TD's are not agents of USCF".
Well...that's precisely correct.

If it truly is a new player, you've got to get the member information
and write it down somewhere anyway.

The new member writes it on the form.

I think both Swis-Sys and WinTD already have the ability to key that
information into the computer during registration, so all they should
need to do is include that information in the upload file.

It's nice of you to volunteer these developers to do USCF's work.

(We may
have to have some way of updating your computer for dues changes when
they occur, possibly as part of the ratings supplement file.)

You want to update *my* computer? Fat chance.

Assuming the memberships pass validation, the processing of them will be
completely automated, just like the processing of individual memberships
entered on the website is now automated. (About 2/3 of the ones being
entered on the website get processed right away, the rest have to be
referred to the USCF staff to resolve data or credit card issues.)

If it's that easy, I'll simply require all players in my events to have
a completely processed membership before they show up. Tell me...when
member signs up online - what sort of hard copy receipt do they get (so
that I can verify their membership)?

I think the reason Bill wanted to require the credit card payment up front
was because that is likely to prevent someone from maliciously entering
dozens of new memberships. It's kind of an expensive way to abuse the
system.

My players generally pay for everything by check. They don't trust me
with their credit cards.

I usually pay USCF for everything by check. I don't trust *them* with
my credit cards.

Now what? (if you say PenPal, you haven't been paying attention).

I guess Bill does. :-)

I'm glad to see that you are working hard to make Bill's tournaments go
more smoothly. How about paying attention to the rest of the
Orgainizers out there? Or, is the intent to drive out of business
everyone who doesn't do business like Bill?

--
Kenneth Sloan

Computer and Information Sciences (205) 934-2213
University of Alabama at Birmingham FAX (205) 934-5473
Birmingham, AL 35294-1170
http://www.cis.uab.edu/sloan/
Old June 2nd 04, 08:24 PM
Mike Nolan

Kenneth Sloan writes:

No - the alternative is to raise RATING FEES so that we can afford to
hire them back.

Raising ratings fees to support membership processing seems inconsistent,
especially since people were complaining that we were subsidizing ratings
from memberships. Now you want to reverse that, to subsidize
memberships from ratings??

I never have internet access at any tournament site where I hold
events. If it becomes necessary to have internet access, this will
limit the number of sites that I can use.

So key the memberships into your computer (which I assume you have onsite)
and do the checking when you get home. Or do it the night before for
pre-registered players. (You do get pre-registered players down in
'Bama, don't you?)

USCF is fond of advertising that "TD's are not agents of USCF".
Well...that's precisely correct.

Actually, if they're selling memberships and getting a commission for
it, they are LEGALLY sales agents, whether we say they are or not.

I think both Swis-Sys and WinTD already have the ability to key that
information into the computer during registration, so all they should
need to do is include that information in the upload file.

It's nice of you to volunteer these developers to do USCF's work.

I checked with both Tom and Thad months ago. They have both indicated
this is something they should be able to incorporate into their programs.

(We may
have to have some way of updating your computer for dues changes when
they occur, possibly as part of the ratings supplement file.)

You want to update *my* computer? Fat chance.

Oh, we don't update YOUR computer with update memberships and ratings from
the ratings supplement files now?

If it's that easy, I'll simply require all players in my events to have
a completely processed membership before they show up. Tell me...when
member signs up online - what sort of hard copy receipt do they get (so
that I can verify their membership)?

Assuming they give us a valid e-mail address, they get the following:

1. An e-mail receipt sent by the credit card processing company showing
the member's name and the membership type plus the amount charged.
This is sent when the charge is approved. (Because we don't assign
a new member an ID until after the charge is approved (because about
10% of charges are denied), that message doesn't have the new member
ID on it, but it does have the member ID for renewals.)

2. An e-mail from the USCF giving them their ID, expiration date and PIN.
This is sent via a batch job run every few hours.

Personally, I would accept a printout of either of the above as proof
of membership.

Their membership card is sent out in the mail, that probably takes about
two weeks to arrive. Howeve, the update membership information, including
ID's for new members, is on MSA within a few hours.

I think they can also print out a copy of the order from the website,
but I probably wouldn't accept that as proof of membership, since it
doesn't indicate whether the credit card was actually charged or whether
membership was not processed for other reasons. (We should be able to
change that when we rewrite the webstore.)

I usually pay USCF for everything by check. I don't trust *them* with
my credit cards.

Now what? (if you say PenPal, you haven't been paying attention).

I'm glad to see that you are working hard to make Bill's tournaments go
more smoothly. How about paying attention to the rest of the
Orgainizers out there? Or, is the intent to drive out of business
everyone who doesn't do business like Bill?

I'm not the USCF Executive Director, Bill didn't want me to implement that
part of the project, at least not right away, because of concerns that
TD's would get the ID numbers but not pay the fees.

(Personally I don't see that as being much different that Traci issuing
dozens of 'non-member' ID's ahead of each ratings run and then trying to
collect money from the TD's or affiliates who ran those events.)

Your beef on this is with Bill, not with me or even with the USCF staff,
who supported my original proposal.

We now have another vote in favor of my original proposal, or so it appears.
--
Mike Nolan