Old June 2nd 04, 05:26 AM
Mogath3

Default French Defense-Rubenstein variation

I am finding it a bit difficult to find resources regarding this line. Any help
with ideas behind it, games and resources would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
very much.

Regards,
Jeff

Old June 2nd 04, 07:14 PM
Mike Ogush

On 02 Jun 2004 04:26:11 GMT, oJuNk (Mogath3) wrote:

I am finding it a bit difficult to find resources regarding this line. Any help
with ideas behind it, games and resources would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
very much.

Regards,
Jeff

Check out "Mastering the French With the Read and Play Mehtod" by Neil
McDonald and Andrew Harley. This book approaches the study of the
French Defense by organizing into chapters based on different pawn
structures and then explaining the various middle game plans, likely
piece placements and strategic opjectives for Black and White based on
the differnt pawn structures. See
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...estreviews.htm
for a review of this book. Amazon.com shows the book as out of print
so your best bet for finding it is either used book stores or eBay.

Another book that I've only glanced through is "Starting Out: The
French" by Byron Jacobs. I have gone through other books in the
"Starting Out: ..." series in more detail and they usually do a good
job of explaining the basic plans for each variation that they cover.

"The Complete French" by Lev Psakhis is sure to cover the variation.
But from what I remember, the book is not nearly as good at explaining
the ideas of the varations as of the two books above; instead it has a
multitude of variations with analysis.

"The Main Line French: 3 Nc3" by Steffen Pedersen covers 3...dxe4 - at
least according to the editorial review on amazon.com. However, I
have not seen the book myself so I don't know how well it covers the
Rubinstein. You may want to check on of the regular reviews of Chess
Books (e.g. John Watson at TWIC, Jeremy Silman, ...)

New In Chess Yearbooks contain releatively revent GM analysis on
various opening. There are two articles on the Rubinstein Frech:
Vol 64 article by Van der Wiel
http://www.newinchess.com/Shop/Produ...?ProductID=198
Vol 62 article by Olthof
http://www.newinchess.com/Shop/Produ...?ProductID=200

John Watson's "Play the French 3rd edition" now covers the line 1.e4
e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Bg5 dxe4 5.Nxe4 which could be reached from the
Rubinstein move order. Watson has been very thorough in his analyses
in previous editions of this book, so I am confident he would be at
the same level in the 3rd edition.

Last, there is a CD by Kalinin from Convekta that covers the line (See
the review by Robert Pawlak at
http://www.chessassistance.com/News/...e_Kalinin.html

Mike Ogush