Old June 2nd 04, 05:50 PM
Ray Gordon

Default ICC Opening Novelties: 1. e3

The "mouse slip" opening.

Also 1...e6 against 1. e3 when I mean to play 1...e5.

I actually have to STUDY this line now!

--
Everything you need to know about women. FREE!

http://www.cybersheet.com/library.html
The Seduction Library

http://www.cybersheet.com/hotties.html
Why Hotties Choose Losers

http://www.cybersheet.com/6/ubb.x
The Seduction Library Forum

Old June 2nd 04, 09:32 PM
David Richerby

[ Crosspost trimmed. ]

Ray Gordon wrote:
The "mouse slip" opening.

Also 1...e6 against 1. e3 when I mean to play 1...e5.

My mouse slip opening was a Scandinavian when I intended a Sicilian as
black, though I still managed to win. My brain slip opening was playing
1.g3 because I thought I was playing suicide. That game I lost, as you
might expect when you think you're playing suicide chess for a couple of
moves.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Poisonous Edible Monk (TM): it's like
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ a man of God but you can eat it and
Old June 8th 04, 03:39 PM
Ray Gordon

"I think Kasparov played 1. e3 against Deep Thought hoping to take DT
out of book quickly. I don't know if it worked. Basically White plays
the black side of a French with an extra tempo." (phr)
==============
1. e3 can become a number of things other than a reversed French. In my
experience most of the time black plays 1..d5 and the game quicky becomes

Q-side affair.

Haas

The move 1. e3 is perfectly OK and loses nothing. For example, White
can play 1. e3 e5 2. d4 exd4 3. exd4 d5 and now we have an Execange
Variation of the French Defense with the same position as after 1. e4
e6 2. d4 d5 3. exd5 exd5.

And that's the BEST White can do.

White loses the free error he gets with the first move, the initiative, and
guarantees Black at least equality heading out of the opening.

Old June 9th 04, 07:04 AM
Roman M. Parparov

In rec.games.chess.analysis Ray Gordon wrote:
"I think Kasparov played 1. e3 against Deep Thought hoping to take DT
out of book quickly. I don't know if it worked. Basically White plays
the black side of a French with an extra tempo." (phr)
==============
1. e3 can become a number of things other than a reversed French. In my
experience most of the time black plays 1..d5 and the game quicky becomes

Q-side affair.

Haas

The move 1. e3 is perfectly OK and loses nothing. For example, White
can play 1. e3 e5 2. d4 exd4 3. exd4 d5 and now we have an Execange
Variation of the French Defense with the same position as after 1. e4
e6 2. d4 d5 3. exd5 exd5.

And that's the BEST White can do.

White loses the free error he gets with the first move, the initiative, and
guarantees Black at least equality heading out of the opening.

Exchange French is not a bad opening at all, with the new ideas of c2-c4.
Otherwise, white cannot be blocked from playing a Colle or a Bird or
even QG with e2-e3 setup. So 1.e3 like 1.c3 (Zaragoza Opening) is decent
enough. Unlike 1.d3.

But, in a very recent game of mine white opened with 1.e3, to which
I replied 1....Nf6. Then White tried to get a Bird setup. The game continued:
2.b3 b6! 3.Bb2 Bb7 4.f4?! g6 5.Nf3 Bg7 6.Be2 0-0 7.0-0 d6 and Black is
at least equal. After careless 8.d3 Black took over the initiative with
8....e5! (9.dxe5 Ng4 =/+)

The game itself was quite interesting and I'll post it later.

--
Roman M. Parparov - NASA EOSDIS project node at TAU technical manager.
Email: http://www.nasa.proj.ac.il/