Old June 7th 04, 03:25 PM
Tigran

Default Method in chess thinking

Last week I played I tourney where I ranked 8th. My friend ranked the
1th. Both have been played a lot of years in the same club. About 4
years ago we were the same elo and playing strenght and now he is 150
elo stronger than me (2150 fide) and he continue raising. Talking
about that he say me he has improved thanks that he is playing more
methodical chess, looking more opponent threats than his own attacking
chances. I questioned him how did he used to play in that way
inconciously. He couldn't answer me.
I have been trying to get used to play in that way without success.
95% time I use I see myself looking only for attacking chances, while
the other 5% is when I consciously look my opponent threats. My
problems is I can't always been opposing my natural tend to not look
my opponent replies, but I think it could be very good for my strenght
and for fun when playing.
What do you think I could do to force myself to look into opponents
threats? I thing any good or proffesional player must dominate this
issue.
Thx in advance.
Old June 7th 04, 05:12 PM
Mark S. Hathaway

Tigran wrote:
[...]

Habits simply take time to form. Keep focusing on both sides
of the coin: your opponent's threats and your plans and in time
you will begin to do both without so much effort.
Old June 7th 04, 05:50 PM
2100USCF

When your opponent makes a move, you should ask yourself, "What does he
threaten?". This will help you to be constantly aware that your opponent
might just be planning something. You should have been studying the position
while it was his move, looking for plans for both him and yourself.

If you concentrate too much on 'seeing' your opponent's threats, you stand a
chance of 'becoming afraid of shadows', and will be defending too much of
the time instead of playing what the position demands.

A good exercise for learning how valuable it is to think ahead about your
opponent's moves can be practiced by using a computer and 'watching' the
computers choices as it pours over the variations. When it is your move, you
will find that you will be playing much better. The next step, of course
would be to check out variations like that without the aid of the computer.

Hope this helps.

PS, I'm speaking in particular about the Fidelity chess computer which
'flashed' a light to show the moves it was considering. I haven't used this
technique with the chess software programs, but I think you should be able
to adapt to it.

om...

Old June 8th 04, 02:43 PM
Gordon

Some good suggestions have already been posted. I'd like to add...

Try playing some training games where you focus on one aspect of your play
(e.g. looking for threats), even if other parts of your play (e.g. time
management) suffer slightly. Then try to go back to playing your usual game
while hopefully incorporating some new habits. Repeat the process if
necessary.

To help with focusing, you could print-out a check list of things to do
before each move. Tick these off each time, if necessary. The aim is to be
really deliberate and conscious about doing something. And then trying to
get it to become more automatic and subconscious.

The downside is that training in this manner may become tedious. If you
can't find an opponent that's willing to play such training games, you can
also use GM games where you try to guess the next move for a given side
("solitaire"). Again, get into the habit of looking for threats etc.

Gordon

om...

Old June 8th 04, 04:07 PM
John A Swartz

You might consider picking up Dan Heisman's new book, "Looking For
Trouble" - it is a series of exercises where you are given a position
and told the previous move - your tasks are to:

1) identify the existing threat
2) come up with a move that nullifies the threat

John

Old June 8th 04, 07:13 PM
Antonio Torrecillas

En/na Tigran ha escrit:
[...]

You know that each method of improvement can work or not with a concrete
player, ...

One thing you can try to check if works is to play training games with
some friend (who likes attacking is preferable) with selected openings
where you must play for defence.
For example, some gambits where white sacrifices one or more pawns in
order to obtain development advantage.

AT

Old June 15th 04, 01:27 PM
Chris Tilling

Check out Dan Heisman's articles on Chesscafe.

I think that is really what you are looking for.

Certainly in internet blitz, when I forced myself to play what Dan calls
"real" chess, that is to think in a principle variation, my results rocketed
up. He deals with the whole question of looking for the opponents threats
and how to use a thinking method successfully

His Real/Hope chess article is at
www.chesscafe.com/text/real.txt

His article on thought process is at

http://www.chesscafe.com/text/heisman14.pdf

[...]