Old June 8th 04, 04:10 PM
erich

Default Alburt&Chernin Opening series

Dear Chessfriends!
Does anyone know, if GM Alburt plans do continue the coverage of the
opening which he started with "Pirc ALert!" ? The book was most
helpful and i am waiting for the other volumes to be published.
Besides, what would you think should he cover as a defence to
1.d4/c4/Nf3 or advocate to start the game with?

Have a nice day!

Erich
Old June 8th 04, 11:42 PM
Randy Bauer

"erich" wrote in message
om...
Dear Chessfriends!
Does anyone know, if GM Alburt plans do continue the coverage of the
opening which he started with "Pirc ALert!" ? The book was most
helpful and i am waiting for the other volumes to be published.
Besides, what would you think should he cover as a defence to
1.d4/c4/Nf3 or advocate to start the game with?

Have a nice day!

Erich

Certainly 1...g6 or 1...d6 come to mind as a response. There was a
repertoire book by Yrjola and Tella (An Explosive Chess Opening Repertoire
for Black) that recommended 1...d6 against just about anything. This gives
you your Pirc set up against kingside stuff, and they recommend 1.d4 d6 2.c4
e5 against the straight queenside stuff. This is a reasonable repertoire,
although I think the title was a stretch.

Lots of Pirc players play either the King's Indian or Modern against 1.d4.
A lot of the dark square counterplay and central strikes are similar. Over
the years, I've come to understand that I don't play the King's Indian
nearly as well as I play the Pirc, so I've wandered off to less similar
defenses that better suit my temperament.

Randy Bauer

Old June 9th 04, 02:37 PM
erich

Dear Randy!

Thank you for your hint! As a matter of fact i own the book from
Yrjola. It is good, especially the mentioned "endgame variation"
coverage. I was just wondering if Alburt is going to write a sequel to
his "Pirc Alert!" As far as i can remember the book was announced to
be the first of a three volume series. "Pirc Alert" is a really good
book and I would be glad to have more chessbooks like this in my
collection.

Have a nice day!
Old June 9th 04, 11:31 PM
Randy Bauer

"erich" wrote in message
om...
Dear Randy!

Thank you for your hint! As a matter of fact i own the book from
Yrjola. It is good, especially the mentioned "endgame variation"
coverage. I was just wondering if Alburt is going to write a sequel to
his "Pirc Alert!" As far as i can remember the book was announced to
be the first of a three volume series. "Pirc Alert" is a really good
book and I would be glad to have more chessbooks like this in my
collection.

Have a nice day!

The book has its good and not as good aspects. All the discussion of plans,
piece placement, etc. is excellent. I think the repertoire itself is
lacking in several areas. Another good recent book is Starting Out: the
Pirc/Modern by Gallagher. He casts a critical eye on some conventional Pirc
opening theory plus doing his usual good job at explanation.

Randy Bauer

Old June 11th 04, 08:31 AM
KJL

I am putting together a repertoire based on 'Staring Out: The Pirc'
and 'Pirc Alert'. My rating is about 1880 USCF. I was wondering if
anyone could point out major holes, or problems with my selections. I
agree with Randy Bauer, that the ideas section of Pirc Alert was
great--I really couldn't have asked for a better introduction. At
first I thought that the repertoire was great also, but, I didn't
really know much about the Pirc when I bought the book, so I really
wasn't much of a judge, either. Over time I have come to the
conclusion that the recommended lines are in many cases the most
solid, and sometimes most boring, systems.
Anyway, here is the systems that I am going with. Most did not come
from Pirc Alert...

vs. Austrian attack: 5. ...c5 lines. It seems like there is a ton of
memorization here, no matter if I choose 5. ...c5 or 5. 0-0. In
Yrjola's book ("Explosive repertoire with 1. ...d6!"), they made a
case for 5. ...c5 because they thought there was overall less to know
here than with 5. ...0-0. Since I really don't see much of the
Austrian, I'm for whatever system takes less time to learn.

vs. Classical: 6. ...c6 variations. I prefer to play c6 in as many
different systems as possible, to make transpositions easier to deal
with.

vs. Modern classical: Using the system with c6,d5,Ne4.

vs. 150-attack: Pirc Alert and Starting Out list a system that
involves playing a6, b5, Nc6. The problem is that I don't think it
mixes well with other Pirc systems. For instance, I always wonder if
white can just switch out of the 150 attack and into a classical after
a6 and b5. In 'Starting Out', a system is provided in Game 31, which
goes: 1. e4 d6 2. d4 Nf6 3. Nc3 g6 4. Nf3 Bg7 5. Be3 c6 6. Qd2 Qa5!?.
This seems like the best bet, since black hasn't done anything to put
him too far off from a c6 classical, or the c6-d5-Ne4 Modern
classical.

vs 4. Be3: Here I've been practicing the system where black delays Bg7
and plays c6-b5-Nbd7-e5, etc. Is it just me, or are these very, very
difficult positions to handle?

vs. systems with g3/Nge2: Hopefully I can make the system with
c6,Na6,Nb4, and breaking with d5 or c5, work for me. I think I saw a
game on chesspublishing.com where the notes indicated that this system
wasn't doing too well recently.

vs. 4. Bg5: Here is where I really don't like the suggestion of Pirc
Alert. It recommends: 1. e4 d6 2. d4 Nf6 3. Nc3 g6 4. Bg5 Bg7, when
white chooses between 5. Qd2, 5. f4, 5. e5. The endgame system after
5. e5 dxe5 6. dxe5 Ng4 7. Qxd8 Kxd8 is fine. I don't necessarly trust
the line 5. f4 h6 6. Bh4 c5 7. e5 Nh5 8. dxc5 Nxf4. Chernin says black
has attacking chances, but there is very little analysis to back this
up, and every time I look at the position, I see far advanced white
pawns, a loose black kingside, and a pair of bishops for white. The
position after 5. Qd2 h6 6. Bf4 g5 7. Bg3 Nh5 8. 0-0-0 Nc6 9. Nge2 Bd7
10. f3 Nxg3 11. hxg3 e6, just seems boring. The line listed in
'Starting Out', game 43, seems much more fun: 1. e4 d6 2. d4 Nf6 3.
Nc3 g6 4. Bg5 Bg7 5. Qd2 c6 6. f4 0-0 7. Bd3 b5 8. Nf3 Bg4. This is
what I will probably be going with here. If any Pirc experts want to
weigh in, I was wondering what people generally choose against 5. f4.

vs 4. Bc4: Here I'll go with 'Starting Out' suggestions, namely: 4.
Bc4 Bg7 5. Qe2 Nc6! 6. e5 Ng4. I've had some good wins with this on
ICC, even against higher rated opponents. I've played one slow game
with it, which I somehow managed to lose. Three different people,
ranging from an IM, down to a snotty 12 year old, said to me after the
game, "You lost THAT position?!". For general interest, here are the
opening moves, which I was, and still am, proud of: 1. e4 d6 2. d4 Nf6
3. Nc3 g6 4. Bc4 Bg7 5. Qe2 Nc6! 6. e5 Ng4 7. h3? Nxd4 8. Qe4 Nxf2! 9.
Kxf2 Bxe5. I figured that if white can get by in a Petroff line with 2
central pawns for a Knight, I should be nearly winning with 3 central
pawns and a white King that can't castle. My middlegame plan was to
play 0-0, f5, e5, d5, c6, Qe7, Rae8 as quickly as possible, with the
hopes of rolling over white's minor pieces with my central pawns.
Anyway...
Against 4. Bc4 Bg7 5. Nf3, I'll probably follow the plan outlined in
Starting out, game 44, ie: 5. ...Nc6!? 6. h3 0-0 7. Qe2 Nd7 8. Be3 Nb6
9. Bb3 Na5 10. 0-0 c6 11. Rfe1 d5.

vs. 3. Bd3: Both books recommend 3. ...e5 4. c3 d5!, which seems to be
the way to go.

vs. 3. f3 I'll probably bite the bullet and learn the KID Saemish, or
allow a transposition into the 4. Be3 lines.

Thanks for any comments, ideas, advice, etc.

Old June 12th 04, 07:04 PM
MC

My rating is about 1880 USCF.

Why do you say that your rating is "about" 1880 USCF? If you have a USCF
rating, what is it? If you're unrated, what criteria do you use to estimate
your USCF rating?

Old June 13th 04, 06:54 AM
KJL

I say it is "about 1880", because, it is about 1880. According to the
data on the uschess website, my rating is 1888. If you need me to
clarify the word "about", it can be read to mean "near", "close to",
or approximately". Hopefully this clears things up for you.
Old June 22nd 04, 07:14 PM
Lazaro Munoz

Based on what I heard in a Fred Wilson Books interview on chess.fm Lev has
said
that he does not have a plan for a followup in the series.

--laz
BTW, If you notice, the authors are the originators of the blue pages,
that you
see in the Dovertsky's Endgame Manual. Luckily chess authors are not as
anal as
corporations of late when it comes to patenting everything in sight. I am
just
waiting for somebody to try to put a patent on breathing.