Old June 9th 04, 09:59 AM
Jatinder

Default Analysis Software

Hi,
I am looking for a chess software which can analyse my games in batch
mode and annonate it,providing the lines and help me improve my
chess.I have CM5500 but it does analyse one game at a time.Plz Help.
Plz provide me the URL of freeware software.
Thanks.
Old June 9th 04, 11:11 AM
David Richerby

[ Cross-posting to rgc.computer ]

Jatinder wrote:
I am looking for a chess software which can analyse my games in batch
mode and annonate it,providing the lines and help me improve my
chess.I have CM5500 but it does analyse one game at a time.Plz Help.
Plz provide me the URL of freeware software.

Crafty can do analysis this but I've never used this feature so I don't
know if it's easy to make it do batch analysis. The main Crafty FTP site
(http://ftp.cis.uab.edu/pub/hyatt) seems to be down at the moment but
Google will give you plenty of alternative sites.

You asked for freeware but I will mention that Fritz does very good
analysis and can do batches by selecting multiple games in the database
window and then setting the analysis running.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Microsoft Atlas (TM): it's like a
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ map of the world that's really hard
Old June 9th 04, 12:29 PM
S.Matthieu

http://groups.google.fr/groups?q=dow...le.com&rnum=16

Old June 9th 04, 01:33 PM
Henri Arsenault

For analysis, there is nothing that beats Fritz. You can do it
interactively or in a number of ways for automatic analysis when you are
away.

Henri

Old June 9th 04, 05:42 PM
Robert Hyatt

Jatinder wrote:
I am looking for a chess software which can analyse my games in batch
mode and annonate it,providing the lines and help me improve my
chess.I have CM5500 but it does analyse one game at a time.Plz Help.
Plz provide me the URL of freeware software.

Crafty can do analysis this but I've never used this feature so I don't
know if it's easy to make it do batch analysis. The main Crafty FTP site
(http://ftp.cis.uab.edu/pub/hyatt) seems to be down at the moment but
Google will give you plenty of alternative sites.

It is pretty easy.

Concatenate a bunch of games into a single PGN file.

Be sure that the "Black" and "White" tags are consistently named, ie that
each game has [Black "Hyatt"] or [White "Hyatt"] where Hyatt is consistent
in terms of spelling, spaces, capitalization, etc.

Then enter this command from the Crafty command prompt:

annotate games.pgn Hyatt 1-999 .1 120

That will create a file games.pgn.can, where every game is annotated. The
side that is annotated will always be the side Hyatt played. It annotates
every move (1-999) with a scoring margin of .1 (this means that if the move
played is more than .1 worse than what Crafty thinks is the best move,
Crafty will give the score and PV for the move played and for the best move
as well. 120 is 120 seconds per move search time. You can add an extra
paramenter N that says "display the N best moves and scores and PVs" if you
want but that adds to the time required to do the complete annotation.

You asked for freeware but I will mention that Fritz does very good
analysis and can do batches by selecting multiple games in the database
window and then setting the analysis running.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Microsoft Atlas (TM): it's like a
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ map of the world that's really hard
to use!

--
Robert M. Hyatt, Ph.D. Computer and Information Sciences
University of Alabama at Birmingham

Old June 10th 04, 05:51 AM
fs

There is also an "annotateh" command, which makes an HTML file with bitmap
diagrams for each annotation.

om...

Old June 10th 04, 04:25 PM
Robert Hyatt

In rec.games.chess.computer fs wrote:
There is also an "annotateh" command, which makes an HTML file with bitmap
diagrams for each annotation.

and even an annotatet that outputs a LaTeX file.

Old June 10th 04, 09:35 PM
[email protected]

On 9 Jun 2004 01:59:29 -0700, (Jatinder)
wrote:

Hi,
I am looking for a chess software which can analyse my games in batch
mode and annonate it,providing the lines and help me improve my
chess.I have CM5500 but it does analyse one game at a time.Plz Help.
Plz provide me the URL of freeware software.
Thanks.

I use the following command on Windows to have Crafty analyze all
existing .pgn files in the directory, which results in an individual
..can file for each game analyzed:

for %%a in (*.pgn) do echo annotate %%a player 1 .5 30 | crafty.exe

Simply replace "player" with the name of the player whose games you
want annotated and it will annotate all of his games whether he is
playing black or white.

Stick this command in a text file and name the file test.bat. Then
save the text file in the same directory with the .pgn files. You can
then run the test.bat file on the windows command line. Make sure the
command line is set to the same directory when you run it.

I play on Yahoo, email my self the results, paste the results into
WinBoard and then save the file to get a proper .pgn file because
Yahoo files are not in proper .pgn format for some reason.

Then, I set off the command above, go to bed, and Crafty analyzes all
my games while I sleep. Then, when I get up, I have a great analysis
of each game that I played the night before.

Can't beat it.

I'm sure the same kind of thing could be done on UNIX.

Enjoy.

Greg Teets
Cincinnati Ohio USA