Old June 10th 04, 08:01 PM
drummerman

Default What Does This Mean?

Aagaard is a zany, interesting chess instructor who usually is
extremely informative. However, in his recent text, Excelling at
Combinational Play, he makes the following statement related to
cornering heavy pieces: "...it illustrates well how easily a heavy
piece can get into trouble in the middlegame where there are too many
pieces around with lower rank that would love to switch T-shirts."
What the hell does that mean? Any ideas?
Old June 10th 04, 08:40 PM
bruno de baenst

That in the middlegame the queen (rook) (that is in the middle of the board)
will be in danger of having to run all the time or getting locked in cause
she always has to run away when a minor piece attacks her.
lower rank = less value
switch t-shirts = exchange

"drummerman" schreef in bericht
m...
Aagaard is a zany, interesting chess instructor who usually is
extremely informative. However, in his recent text, Excelling at
Combinational Play, he makes the following statement related to
cornering heavy pieces: "...it illustrates well how easily a heavy
piece can get into trouble in the middlegame where there are too many
pieces around with lower rank that would love to switch T-shirts."
What the hell does that mean? Any ideas?

---

Old June 10th 04, 08:45 PM
Antonio Torrecillas

En/na drummerman ha escrit:
Aagaard is a zany, interesting chess instructor who usually is
extremely informative. However, in his recent text, Excelling at
Combinational Play, he makes the following statement related to
cornering heavy pieces: "...it illustrates well how easily a heavy
piece can get into trouble in the middlegame where there are too many
pieces around with lower rank that would love to switch T-shirts."
What the hell does that mean? Any ideas?

That reminds me some positions where one players has three pieces for a
queen. In that positions if the queen has not "wide horitzons" there is
a risk to be exchanged for one or two pieces.

AT

Old June 21st 04, 07:16 PM
Lazaro Munoz

The only thing I can come up is when a soccer (football to those outside
the US) game is over it is customary of the players switch T-shirts as a
sign of friendship. All though I can think of a chess analogy. I just got
the book and only started reading it so I have not come across the line.
What page is it on?

--laz