Old June 15th 04, 07:59 AM
KJL

Default Pirc 4. Be3 question

In 2000, there was a game Benjamin-Gufeld in the 150 attack, that
began:
1. e4 d6 2. d4 Nf6 3. Nc3 g6 4. Nf3 Bg7 5. Be3 0-0 6. Qd2 Ng4 7. Bg5
f6! 8. Bh4 Bh6 9. Qd1 Bg7. The rest of the game can be found in the
database at www.newinchess.com. Gufeld won the game...eventually the
structure converted into something similar to a KID, and Gufeld got a
nice kingside attack. Firstly, I was wondering if this experiment has
been repeated since this game, and if this variation of the 150-attack
is holding up. Secondly, I was wondering if a similar idea is possible
in the 4. Be3 Pirc:
1. e4 d6 2. d4 Nf6 3. Nc3 g6 4. Be3 c6 5. Qd2 b5 6. Bd3 Nbd7 7. Nf3,
and now books such as "Pirc Alert" and "Starting Out: the pirc/modern"
say the move is 7. ...e5, when the "book" line goes 8. dxe5 dxe5 9. h3
Bb7! 10. a4 a6 11. 0-0 Bg7 12. Ne2! Qe7! +=. In "Starting Out",
Gallagher says that "7. ...Ng4 8. Bg5 is still not a worthwhile idea
for black". After seeing the Gufeld game, I can't help but wonder if
7. ...Ng4 8. Bg5 f6 9. Bh4 Bh6 10. Qd1 Bg7 11. h3 Nh6 is playable.
I've looked at the positions after 12. d5 with Fritz (they seem ok),
and I've played two Blitz games on ICC, where white played 10. 0-0 (I
got winning positions in both...but I won't put too much faith in
Blitz games). I was just wondering if any Pirc players had any
thoughts on this.

Thanks.
Old June 20th 04, 03:35 AM
Ray Gordon

In 2000, there was a game Benjamin-Gufeld in the 150 attack, that
began:
1. e4 d6 2. d4 Nf6 3. Nc3 g6 4. Nf3 Bg7 5. Be3

4. f3 is generally better with Be3. This system is solid but lacks the
teeth of the alternative.

0-0 6. Qd2 Ng4 7. Bg5
f6!

This is generally overambitious, as the knight has to lose a tempo when
retreating (it makes two additional moves while the Bishop only has to make
one).

8. Bh4 Bh6

No need to play the Pirc if this is what you want as Black. Just try 1...f6
and speed up the execution.

9. Qd1 Bg7. The rest of the game can be found in the
database at www.newinchess.com. Gufeld won the game...eventually the
structure converted into something similar to a KID, and Gufeld got a
nice kingside attack. Firstly, I was wondering if this experiment has
been repeated since this game, and if this variation of the 150-attack
is holding up. Secondly, I was wondering if a similar idea is possible
in the 4. Be3 Pirc:
1. e4 d6 2. d4 Nf6 3. Nc3 g6 4. Be3 c6 5. Qd2 b5 6. Bd3

6. f3 is stronger here. Kasparov has a brilliancy in this line from several
years back involving a queenside rook sacrifice.

Old June 22nd 04, 04:39 AM
KJL

No need to play the Pirc if this is what you want as Black. Just try 1...f6
and speed up the execution.

If Gufeld was still alive, I would be sure to pass on the advice to
him, as I am sure you are a stronger player than he was.