Old June 21st 04, 07:53 PM
Luther Barnum

Default Scotch Game Opinions

I have been several openings for the past few years and have gotten good
results from the likes of Evans, Ruy, Kings Gambit and Scotch Gambit. My
problem seems to be that I can't seem to be consistant as I would like.

I have decided to go with the Scotch but wanted to see what opinions the
Scotch players have on their results. I wanted to minimize the openings that
black can respond. I'm very familiar with most of the variations and was
thinking of buying th book by Peter Wells.

Luther Barnum

Old June 22nd 04, 04:38 AM
skoonj

"Luther Barnum" wrote in message
om...
I have been several openings for the past few years and have gotten good
results from the likes of Evans, Ruy, Kings Gambit and Scotch Gambit. My
problem seems to be that I can't seem to be consistant as I would like.

I have decided to go with the Scotch but wanted to see what opinions the
Scotch players have on their results. I wanted to minimize the openings

that
black can respond. I'm very familiar with most of the variations and was
thinking of buying th book by Peter Wells.

Luther Barnum

I don't have Wells' book, but it's several years old, isn't it? Someone else
has a new book on the Scotch Four Knights I think. But depending on your
strength, you don't need the latest lines.

I'm not sure how much it minimizes your opponents' options. You'll probably
end up playing something else more often than the Scotch thanks to 1...c5,
etc.

Still, the Scotch seems to be a logical progression after your gambit
openings.

-T

Old June 22nd 04, 05:04 AM
Luther Barnum

I don't have a problem with replies other than e5. Those are unavoidable. I
just wanted to avoid the two knights and every ruy version under the sun.

Old June 23rd 04, 02:39 AM
Jason Farnsworth

I'm not the strongest player, so don't take my word for it...but if your
looking for something that is consistent, easy to play, and limits an
opponents responces, I like the King's Indian Attack (1. Nf3)
I have very good results with it, and I rarely ever get in a position that I
don't feel comfortable fighting from. But it's just my opinion.
If you are insistent on starting 1 e4 though....well there I like the
Vienna.

Old June 23rd 04, 03:48 AM
skoonj

"Luther Barnum" wrote in message
. com...
I don't have a problem with replies other than e5. Those are unavoidable.

just wanted to avoid the two knights and every ruy version under the sun.

Then go for it. You'll basically have to learn how to play against 4...Nf6
and ..Bc5 and maybe ....Qh4, but ther's no opening that won't allow your
opponent some choices. Unless you choose the Four Knights' Scotch, you'll
get some wacky positions.

-T

Old June 23rd 04, 04:31 AM
Luis Matos

Jason Farnsworth wrote:

I'm not the strongest player, so don't take my word for it...but if your
looking for something that is consistent, easy to play, and limits an
opponents responces, I like the King's Indian Attack (1. Nf3)

A matter of style, perhaps.

I don't think that "to limit opponent opponents response" is an advantage.

I would think that it is your opponent who has the advantage. He will
have to study less variations than against, for instance, 1 e4 or 1 d4

Of course, I am not the strongest player also.. Don't take, please, my
word for it :-)

Best regards, dear Jason and friends
Luis

Old June 23rd 04, 06:00 AM
Jason Farnsworth

I understand your opinion but in all of the tournaments I've played in,
noone knew who I was so they had no reason to expect Nf3 and therefore
probably didn't study for it. But I do agree that limiting the opponent
replies is not an advantage in of itself. Instead I mean that I know
basically the positions and feel of the game that will arise from the King's
Indian Attack. Since I'm comfortable with those positions I tend to play
fairly well in them and that's the advantage that I see.
So basically, I guess your right in the end...it is a style thing.
Just my opinion.

Thanks for the inputs.
Jason