Old June 23rd 04, 06:53 AM
Isidor Gunsberg

Default Draw Odds

In the first 2 rounds of the FIDE World Championship in Libya, there
have been a total of 8 Sudden Death Blitz games, played under the
conditions described below.

Conventional wisdom has it that it is preferable to have Black,
with 5 minutes AND the "Draw Odds", rather than have White, with the
extra time (6 minutes), and, of course, the initiative that comes with
having the first move. Usually, the player who wins the drawing of
lots opts to play with the Black pieces.

However, in this event, white has won 7 of the 8 decisive Sudden
Death games. If Black has a big advantage given the conditions, it is
not readily apparent--at least from scrutinization of the actual
results. Perhaps the results are an anomaly, but it also might
indicate that those playing White are able to adapt to become better
at exploiting their time edge.

Moreover, in 4 of the 7 games in which White was victorious, it was
the player of the Black pieces that had the higher rating of the two
players.

Interestingly, Ni Hua played Sudden Death games in each round. He
scored an upset win in the 1st round when he had the White pieces, and
lost in the 2nd when he had the Black pieces.

In 3 of the matches that went the full 7 games in the 2nd round,
the Sudden Death game was the only decisive game, following a series
of 6 consecutive draws.

Round 1 Match 53
Vladimirov, Evgeny (KAZ) 2621 1 0 0(B) 3 *
Ni, Hua (CHN) 2587 0 1 1(W) 4

Round 1 Match 55
Jobava, Baadur (GEO) 2616 1 0 1 0 0(B) 3 *
Felgaer, Ruben (ARG) 2592 0 1 0 1 1(W) 4

Round 1 Match 57
Sargissian, Gabriel (ARM) 2614 1 0 1 0 0(W) 3 *
Tiviakov, Sergei (NED) 2593 0 1 0 1 1(B) 4

Round 2 Match 07
Dominguez, Lenier (CUB) 2612 1(W) 4
Malakhov, Vladimir (RUS) 2695 0(B) 3 *

Round 2 Match 12
Ye, Jiangchuan (CHN) 2681 1 0 0 1 1(W) 4 *
Ni, Hua (CHN) 2587 0 1 1 0 0(B) 3

Round 2 Match 18
Radjabov, Teimour (AZE) 2670 1(W) 4 *
Nielsen, Peter Heine (DEN) 2628 0(B) 3

Round 2 Match 25
Lputian, Smbat G (ARM) 2634 0(B) 3
Mamedyarov, Shakhriyar (AZE) 2657 1(W) 4 *

Round 2 Match 30
Hamdouchi, Hichem (MAR) 2544 1 0 1(W) 4
Kudrin, Sergey (USA) 2557 0 1 0(B) 3 *

3.2 World Chess Championship tournament.

3.2.7. Tie breaks

3.2.7.3. If, the score is still level, the players shall play one
decisive/sudden death game. The player, who wins the drawing of lots,
may choose the color. White shall receive 6 minutes, Black shall
receive 5 minutes, without any addition. The winner qualifies for the
next round. In case of a draw the player with the black pieces
qualifies for the next round.
Old June 23rd 04, 01:38 PM
Harold Buck

Could you please post this a few more times? I don't think I quite got
it yet.

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night,
and party every day.
Then it was every other day. . . ."
-Homer J. Simpson
Old June 23rd 04, 07:28 PM
Goran Tomic

"Harold Buck" wrote in message
Could you please post this a few more times? I don't think I quite got
it yet.

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night,
and party every day.
Then it was every other day. . . ."
-Homer J. Simpson

It seems that he doesn't know to use computer. How does he play by internet
on ICC or FICS or Chess 21.com?