Old June 23rd 04, 03:07 PM

Default Gata Kamsky really is Back!!

Gata Kamsky really is Back!!

Any doubts that Gata Kamsky has returned were erased last night when
he showed up again to play in the weekly New York Masters tournament.
After a ten-year absence from USCF Chess, Kamsky has now played two
weeks in a row. It seems obvious that Kamsky is preparing for next
week's World Open in Philadelphia, with a $180,000 guaranteed prize
fund.

Kamsky was still off form last night, scoring only 3-1. However, his
average opponent was 2402, giving him a performance rating of 2602
making him still one of the top players in America, although no longer
number one.

Kamsky lost to Grandmaster Daniel Fridman of Latvia (FIDE 2594) who
has just arrived here, probably for the World Open. I saw the game.
Kamsky got a bad position out of the opening. I felt that Fridman
could have won several ways slightly quicker than he actually did.

Kamsky then defeated FM Asa Hoffmann. I wrote down the game myself
while it was being played as I knew that neither player would want it
published and, as it was not played on first board, John Fernandez
would not be able to broadcast it on ICC. It is a nice slow crush,
although not a great game.

Speaking of Krush, she had a great tournament last night. She was able
to play because she had a bye in the US Woman's Championship taking
place at the same time and she tied for first beating Grandmaster
Stripunsky.

http://www.newyorkmasters.com/xtables/xtable107.html

Prior to last week, Kamsky had not played in a USCF rated event since
1994. Kamsky later rose to become the number three rated player in the
world and defeated Grandmaster Anand in a match. Kamsky then played a
match with Karpov for the World Chess Championship in 1996, losing a
close match. Kamsky never played again until last week, except that he
played a three game match against Khalifman for the FIDE World
Championship in 1999. Kamsky won the first game against Khalifman but
then lost the next two. Khalifman became the World Chess Champion.

Here is the Kamsky-Hoffmann game:

Sam Sloan

[Event "New York Masters"]
[Site "Marshall Chess Club, New York"]
[Date "2004.06.22"]
[Round "04"]
[White "Kamsky, Gata"]
[Black "Hoffmann, Asa"]
[Result "1-0"]
[ECO "A41"]
[WhiteElo "2789"]
[BlackElo "2307"]

1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 d6 3.Nc3 Bg4 4.e4 c6 5.h3 Bh5 6.Be2 e6 7.O-O d5
8.Ne5 Bxe2 9.Qxe2 Be7 10.exd5 Nxd5 11.Qg4 Nxc3 12.bxc3 O-O 13.Rb1
Qc8 14.c4 Nd7 15.Bf4 Rd8 16.Rfd1 Bf6 17.Rd3 Nf8 18.h4 Ng6 19.Nxg6
hxg6 20.Bg5 b6 21.Bxf6 gxf6 22.Qf4 Kg7 23.Rf3 f5 24.Re1 Qb8
25.Re5 Rh8 26.g3 Qf8 27.d5 Re8 28.Qd4 Kg8 29.dxe6 Rxe6 30.Rxe6
fxe6 31.Qd7 Qf7 32.Qxc6 Kg7 33.c5 bxc5 34.Qxc5 Rd8 35.Rd3 Rxd3
36.cxd3 Qb7 37.a4 Kh6 38.Qe3+ Kh7 39.Qxe6 Qb1+ 40.Kh2 Qxd3
41.Qe7+ Kg8 42.Qxa7 1-0

Old June 23rd 04, 08:54 PM
PierreB

(Sam Sloan) wrote in message ...
[...]

Just to point out that Kamsky played in the Donner Memorial
tournament in Amsterdam a month after is 1996 match with Karpov.