Old June 26th 04, 06:41 PM
Ray Gordon

Default What could have been: Crushed an expert in 21 moves

Computer says I didn't make a single mistake until I was winning, and that
was a minor one. This was a five-minute game.

Black played a ****ty opening and got his head handed to him, as he should.
If the Center Counter is all he has in his repertoire, I doubt he'll ever
improve past his current rating. Play a sound repertoire, and you don't
have to change it every time you hit a level that people can bust it up.

Had I studied chess for 20 years instead of four, I could play every game
like this one. But alas, this is just a good game.

[Event "ICC tourney 223336 (5 0)"]
[Site "Internet Chess Club"]
[Date "2004.06.25"]
[Round "1"]
[White "Me"]
[Black "Him"]
[Result "1-0"]
[ECO "B01"]
[WhiteElo "1702"]
[BlackElo "2098"]
[ICCResult "Black resigns"]
[Opening "Scandinavian: Marshall variation"]
[NIC "SD.03"]
[Time "13:00:40"]
[TimeControl "300+0"]

1. e4 d5

In keeping with the American tradition of legitimizing crappy openings,
Black "surprises" me. Yawn.

2. exd5 Nf6 3. d4 Nxd5 4. c4

White already has a nice center and Black is on the run. If he defends
perfectly he'll survive the opening.

4...Nb6

More common is 4...Nf6.

5. c5! Nd5 6. Bc4 g6

More common are 5...b6 and 5...c6. Black is in that "I hope he doesn't
refute this ****ty opening" mode.

7. Nf3 Bg7

Black starts attacking the center but will still have problems.

8.O-O O-O 9. Nc3 e6 10. Bg5 Qd7 11. Ne5 Bxe5

Now the wheels start falling off for Black, who just killed off his good
bishop while failing to develop his queenside. He's one or two mistakes
away from losing.

12. dxe5 c6??

Better was 12....Nxc3, but the computer still says -0.57. White now has
little difficulty, however.

13. Ne4! Kh8?

13....Qc7 would have hung on longer.

14. Qf3!

Several moves win here, but this is prettiest. Black is already dead as a
doornail at a point where main line players aren't even out of book yet.
Here's the finish.

14...Na6 15. Nf6 Qc7 16. Nxd5 exd5 17. Qf6+ Kg8 18. Bh6 Qxe5 19. Qxe5 f6 20.
Qe7 Rf7
21. Qe8+ {Black resigns} 1-0

Now if a 2100 player can play that ****ty in the opening, it can't be too
difficult to get to 2300 or even 2500. Just a matter of long-term studying
and technique....at the expense of having a life.

This is a good example of why it's unwise to play garbage openings. One
mistake in them and the "surprise" is replaced by "defeat."

--
"I ain't gonna play Sun City" and the world's best chessplayers should not
play Libya, which banned the Israeli players from competing. Shame on the

Everything you need to know about women. FREE!

http://www.cybersheet.com/library.html
The Seduction Library

http://www.cybersheet.com/hotties.html
Why Hotties Choose Losers

http://www.cybersheet.com/6/ubb.x
The Seduction Library Forum

Old June 26th 04, 07:24 PM
Angelo DePalma

Yeah I hate ****ty openings too, but the center counter isn't as awful as
some of the others. It can lead to rich positions (usually favoring white).
When I'm in the right mood on ICC I'll simply resign sicilians where white
plays an early Nc3 or Bc4, Bb5, or d3. Life is too short to play douchebags
who are too chicken to challenge me with 3. d4!

Angelo

How to seduce midgets:
www.midgetseduction.com

How to have sex with multiple lesbian dwarfts:
www.luvdoselittlelezzies.com

What to do if you're a woman trapped in the body of a man:
www.ohmygodisthisapenis?.com

Old June 26th 04, 08:34 PM
Ray Gordon

Yeah I hate ****ty openings too, but the center counter isn't as awful as
some of the others.

Actually it's borderline sound and seems to have been invigorated a great
deal in the past 15 years. Still not mainstream.

It can lead to rich positions (usually favoring white).
When I'm in the right mood on ICC I'll simply resign sicilians where white
plays an early Nc3 or Bc4, Bb5, or d3. Life is too short to play

douchebags
who are too chicken to challenge me with 3. d4!

Well I don't go that far, and I agree that a champion needs to know how to
bust up the unsound stuff, but he doesn't need to know it until he's 2600
FIDE, and playing all that garbage on the way up just leaves our players
devoid of practice in the main lines. Most of the general principles that
one needs to beat unsound openings can be found in the process of learning
the main lines.

At least now there are computers to provide reality checks. Before that,
people could argue forever about the merits of some horrible systems, and
now we just run them through an engine to get the verdict. The downside is
that my biggest edge 15 years ago -- purchasing every opening book known to
man and digesting all the theory -- has now been gobbled up in $50 software.

This game was bittersweet: I played like an IM/GM from start to finish, saw
everything the position had, and kicked the crap out of a decent if not
strong opponent, in a miniature. I don't play every game like that, but if
I had made chess my life, games like that would be the norm.

I then look at a horse race, a sport I learned to handicap as a toddler,
where I've watched well over 100,000 races in my life, and had all the
advantages of a "prodigy," where I can see things at the "GM level," watch a
race and know instantly what's going on, etc., and realize that's the only
game I'll ever hit the theory hard enough where I can innovate the way the
GMs do at chess. I see the races and know what the chess champs see on the
board. I get a GLIMPSE of it in games like that, but what makes a champion
a champion is a total understanding of all openings, not just a few like
this, deeper than the books go, combined with precise middle and endgame
technique that can only take years of practice to acquire. The rating
points I gain in a game like this one I give back just as easily to some
Fritz-juiced opponent who has had better training tools, is younger, and
simply cares more than me if he wins.

It is, however, nice to know that on my best game I can compete with any
player in the world, at least through the opening. Even Nakamura didn't get
an edge on me until move 22 (at bullet, but we both take that very serious
and play the openings from memory anyway); in 1989, I took Kamsky out of
book twice in the World Open Blitz, and I've had winning positions against
players over 2500 more times than I care to count in my life.

As for the decade or more it would take to bring my endgame and middlegame
up to that strength, well, I just have better things to do at this stage of
my life. Sorry America.

Old June 27th 04, 01:01 PM
Oliver Maas

Default 1.e4 d5

Hi,

two points:
a) congratulations for winning that game
b) the 1.e4 d5 opening (Scandinavian) is not an unsound opening. The German
GM Wahls has written an interesting book about this line. My personal
opinion is that 1.e4 d5 isnt worse than for example 1.e4 c6 (Caro-Kann) or
1.e4 Sf6 (Alekhine). I found over 200 games in a database with 1.e4 d5 with
strong (over 2500 ELO) players on the black side. However, i agree that most
of these players have also other openings in their repertoire.

regards

Oliver

Old June 27th 04, 03:42 PM
Angelo DePalma

So I beat a "2300+" on ICC at 3-0 the other day. Maybe his computer was
turned off when he played me. What was interesting was the names he called
me after losing. He then censored me, the prick! He must have read my book,
"ICC Sortsmanship -- Be a Prick and Win!!" subtitled, "There's No Way that
1300 Player is Gonna Beat You Legitimately, Doctor Internet GrandMaster"

Vis-a-vis the "unusual openings," when I do deign to play against them and
win I tell my opponent, "That's what happens when you play like a girl," or
"God punished you for playing like a pussy." If I lose, I simply shorten it
to, "You play like a girl." These comments lead to interesting exchanges,
sometimes lasting for my entire session.

Coffeehouse chatter is sorely missing from modern chess.

adp

Old June 28th 04, 07:30 AM
Ray Gordon

So I beat a "2300+" on ICC at 3-0 the other day. Maybe his computer was
turned off when he played me. What was interesting was the names he called
me after losing. He then censored me, the prick! He must have read my

book,
"ICC Sortsmanship -- Be a Prick and Win!!" subtitled, "There's No Way that
1300 Player is Gonna Beat You Legitimately, Doctor Internet GrandMaster"

Vis-a-vis the "unusual openings," when I do deign to play against them and
win I tell my opponent, "That's what happens when you play like a girl,"

or
"God punished you for playing like a pussy." If I lose, I simply shorten

it
to, "You play like a girl." These comments lead to interesting exchanges,
sometimes lasting for my entire session.

Coffeehouse chatter is sorely missing from modern chess.

The most I'll do is thank them for the rating points.

Old July 7th 04, 01:59 AM
Scorsi

Ray, congratulations on a nicely played game on your part. I would
have to disagree on the first mistake that Black made. It was
definitely 9...e6?? this is a common error in fianchetto defense
openings it was the weakness on the d8-h5 diagonal (and related dark
square weakness) that allowed the resulting attack. When I played
throught the game 9...e6 was ruled out immeadiately. I prefered
9....c6 which is a takes a little longer to develop but much safer.

On a side note, I think that you should not take too seriously one off
games. I would bet that in a multi game match your 2100 rated opponent
would get the better of you. Thats why he's rated 2100 and your rated
1700, your strength is measured over many games. Similarly your
opponent might have just been having some internet fun and was not
playing at full strength. A serious match where each side prepares and
there is something more than ego on the line is the real test of
strength. I think you might be surprised in a situation like this.

Good luck

Scorsi
Old July 7th 04, 12:34 PM
Ray Gordon

Ray, congratulations on a nicely played game on your part.

Objectively, it's a pretty game. No mistakes by white. But as a part-time
player, it's just a taste of what I could have had if I'd stayed in the game
all those years. I think many players have games like this and don't
realize that the reason they don't play them all that way is that they
didn't make the commitment to the game.

For every game I play like that, there's an offsetting one that keeps my
rating where it is.

I would
have to disagree on the first mistake that Black made. It was
definitely 9...e6?? this is a common error in fianchetto defense
openings it was the weakness on the d8-h5 diagonal (and related dark
square weakness) that allowed the resulting attack.

I thought 1...d5 was the key error. Actually, Black just played very
limiting moves that required him to find the best move from an increasingly
limited number of choices.

Even without 9...e6, Black had no picnic ahead of him.

When I played
throught the game 9...e6 was ruled out immeadiately. I prefered
9....c6 which is a takes a little longer to develop but much safer.

On a side note, I think that you should not take too seriously one off
games. I would bet that in a multi game match your 2100 rated opponent
would get the better of you. Thats why he's rated 2100 and your rated
1700, your strength is measured over many games. Similarly your
opponent might have just been having some internet fun and was not
playing at full strength. A serious match where each side prepares and
there is something more than ego on the line is the real test of
strength. I think you might be surprised in a situation like this.

I was rated 2000 OTB 15 years ago.

What made me 2000 then makes me 1700 today; theory has moved that fast.
Computers, theory, CD-roms, ICC, have all combined to make it harder than
ever to be a champion or even a master.

I played games like that routinely 15 years ago, and if I'd done nothing els
e with my life, who knows. I'm smart enough not to let the occasional
brilliancy like that change my course back to a game I walked away from back
then.