Old June 27th 04, 12:04 PM
byrne

Default Bobby Fischer is the greatest and he is playing today

Fischer's chess teacher Jack Collins says:

How strong was Bobby? I remember the 1966-67 New Year's Eve party at our
home. At the time Bobby was competing in and winning his final U. S.
Championship. Several grandmasters were present, and there was plenty of
eating and drinking. By 2 a. m. Bobby wanted to play some chess, and he had
in mind a certain strong international master. But Bobby had drunk quite a
bit more than his opponent, and he insisted on playing blindfold blitz chess
while the opponent had sight of the board. Still, he won effortlessly.

Regards,
byrne

Użytkownik "George Orwell" napisał w wiadomo¶ci
"bruno de baenst" wrote...
There is no way that any gm and especially not a 60 year old gm(yes,

older
people are slower) could crush computers consistently at 2 min chess. The
only thing that can do this is a computer running on very strong

hardware,
probably using the help of a strong player who can choose if he makes the
move (using computer analysis) or the computer. If this is the case this
would be an easy explanation why the computer doesn't make exactly same
moves as engines that you checked.
Of course fischer is a fantastic player , arguably the best ever, but

even
at his peek he surely did not crush his rivals with this force in blitz.
It's been proven by many that you can write a client that can connect to

icc
servers which uses direct computer analyses so that you can play bullet
games too, so the fast time control is no prove at all that it is a human
either.
There have been thousands of fischer imposters on the net, really
unbelievable that people still fall for it.

You think much as I used to, you should log onto ICC every day and hunt
(using the method I described in another post) until you find him.

Watching
is believing.
Checking my records, you are right about 2 0. I have only a couple games

of
him against a computer at 2 0. While he won both, the opponent was
EggSalad, who is rated under 3000. I have a few fine wins by him against
very highly ranked computers, but this is at 3 0. Openings much the same,
though - a direct provocation to the opponent.
You are totally wrong about Fischer's blitz strength in verified
over-the-board play. He was 300-400 ELO stronger than anyone else at 5 0

or
faster. He destroyed GM Arthur Bisguier with a score of about 30-0 over a
couple of blitz sessions. And at the World Blitz Championships in April

'70
at the Hotel Plaza at Herceg Novi (double round-robin tourney, 5 0) he
scored 19/22. Actually, he was very unlucky not to score more - his draw
against David Bronstein was the result of a fingerfehler (by my analysis)
when he was under no time pressure at all, and exactly the same applied in
another game (I forget which). So I count that as a 91% result from

Bobby -
in a tournament where almost half the participants were or were soon going
to be undisputed World Champion (Tal, Petrosian, Bronstein, Smyslov and
Fischer himself)! And to me Viktor Korchnoi was the legitimate World
Champion (sorry, Bobby) after the fiasco with the hypnotist and the family
blackmail, which makes it 6 out of 12 participants World Champions, plus
three top-ranking Championship caliber players, plus Sammy Reshevsky (one
of the strongest three or four in the world the fifties).
Here is the official result table from Herceg Novi:
1. Fischer 19
2. Tal 14.5
3. Korchnoi 14
4. Petrosian 13.5
5. Bronstein 13
6. Hort 12
7. Matulovic 10.5
8. Smyslov 9.5
9. Reshevsky 8.5
10. Uhlman 8
11. Ivkov 7.5
12. Ostojic 2
That is an incredible, unsurpassed and unbelievable performance.
Only now I have followed Bobby playing today (well, a month back the last
time) can I appreciate just how much better he is than the rest, as the
World Blitz Championship proved. And the time scores at Herceg Novi were
all the more amazing - in most of his games, Bobby used less than half the
allotted time, and his opponents were totally lost by the time their flags
fell.
Or perhaps you believe Fischer was using a hidden computer,lol!
Another mistake you make is to assume that high-speed chess skills
deteriorate (more) with age.Bronstein, Smyslov, Lasker and others are
testimony to the opposite effect - all are/were more formidable as "old
men" at blitz than they were when younger. Bronstein wrote an article

about
this effect somewhere (in the last 3-4 years). I think "experience counts"
more at blitz. The long tiring calculations of 40/2 (or even 30 0) is

where
age takes a heavy toll.
Last, that there have been thousands of imposters does not at all mean

that
Bobby is not playing.
I suggest you check through Bobby's games at Herceg Novi in 1970 with your
Fritz or Shredder. You may come to very interesting conclusions that he

was
cheating,lol..

Old June 27th 04, 11:15 PM
The Horny Goat

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 07:50:29 +0200 (CEST), George Orwell
wrote:

You are mistaken, I think, about the venue. The Herceg Novi (a Yugoslavian
resort if my memory serves me correctly) tourney took place in 1970, not in
the sixties, and I think it was what you mean. Bobby scored about 90% at 5
0 in a round-robin tournament where half the contenders were ex- or
soon-to-be World Champions, and all but one of the remainder were
top-caliber super-GMs and serious World Championship contenders.

Yup - +21-0=1 with the draw being none other than Mikhail Tal.
Old June 28th 04, 11:35 PM
Guy Macon

Since no one strong wants to take on Bobby at fischerandom, despite his
repeated challenges to all comers (in three separate radio interviews with
Radio Bomba), Bobby has taken the battle to them. Playing as he does,
shuffling K and Q on the backrank (and I have games where more pieces are
shuffled too - one in which at the end of the opening, all White's pieces
are back on the first rank but not in their original positions, and only
minimal enabling pawn moves), Bobby is compelling his opponent to play
fischerandom whether he wants to or not.

If Bobby Fischer showed up on any online chess server using his real
name in such a way that we knew it wasn't another fake, strong players
would fall over themselves to play him. No deception needed.

Old June 28th 04, 11:38 PM
Nick

The Horny Goat wrote in message
. ..
George Orwell wrote:
You are mistaken, I think, about the venue. The Herceg Novi (a Yugoslavian
resort if my memory serves me correctly) tourney took place in 1970, not in
the sixties, and I think it was what you mean. Bobby scored about 90% at
5 0 in a round-robin tournament where half the contenders were ex- or
soon-to-be World Champions, and all but one of the remainder were
top-caliber super-GMs and serious World Championship contenders.

That seems to be a rather embellished statement about the strength of
Bobby Fischer's eleven opponents at the 1970 Herceg Novi blitz tournament.
The three former world champions there were Tal, Petrosian, and Smyslov.
Korchnoi, Bronstein, and Reshevsky could have been accurately described as
'serious World Championship contenders' at some time, but not necessarily
still in 1970 (for Bronstein and Reshevsky).

Here were the final standings:
1) Fischer 2) Tal 3) Korchnoi 4-5) Petrosian, Bronstein 6) Hort
7) Matulovic 8) Smyslov 9-10) Reshevsky, Uhlmann 11) Ivkov 12) Ostojic

Yup - +21-0=1 with the draw being none other than Mikhail Tal.

No, Bobby Fischer actually scored +17 =4 -1 for 19/22 at Herceg Novi.
Bobby Fischer did score +21 =1 -0 at a 1971 Manhattan Chess Club
blitz tournament.

--Nick

Old June 29th 04, 02:51 AM
The Green Bastard from Parts Unknown

Max Mustermann wrote:
"The Green ******* from Parts Unknown"
wrote...

I don't argue with small children who find "The Green ******* from Parts
Unknown" an amusing-sounding handle. I am sorry that grown-ups'
discussions make you feel inadequate.
I guess your overpowering feelings of inferiority are shared by the
hundreds of GMs, IMs, FMs, NMs and others who Bobby has humbled in the
last five years, so you are in good company.

The "Green *******" handle has a serious referent in the country in
which I reside. But of course, you probably never considered that.

I don't argue with small children, even Canadian *******s, who find "The
Green ******* from Parts Unknown" an amusing-sounding handle. I am sorry
that grown-ups' discussions make you feel inadequate.
I guess your overpowering feelings of inferiority are shared by the
hundreds of GMs, IMs, FMs, NMs and others who Bobby has humbled in the
last five years, so you are in good company.
You plonked me in [email protected], so why are you
responding, kid? Go and bother your parents, or watch some more South Park.

Actually, I plonked "PlentyMoreChess" but no that I see you are the same
fool

PlONK