Old July 2nd 04, 05:19 AM
matt -`;'-

Default Please analyse this uncommon opening

Hi, I am not sure of the name of this opening, maybe just Queen's Pawn, but would like to know what you think about it from each
side's perspective, thanks.

[Event "At Work July 1 2004"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "2004.07.01"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Matt"]
[Black "Matt"]
[Result "0-1"]
[ECO "A40"]
[WhiteElo "1400"]
[BlackElo "1400"]
[EventDate "2004.??.??"]
[Annotator "Fritz 7 (3s)"]
[PlyCount "32"]

1. d4 e5 2. dxe5 d6 3. exd6 Bxd6 4. e3 Nc6 5. Bc4 Ne5 6. Bb3 Bg4 7. Qd5 c6 8.
Qd4 Nh6 9. h3 Bh5 10. Na3 O-O 11. f4 Qh4+ 12. g3 Qxg3+ 13. Kf1 Nf3 14. Ne2 Qe1+
15. Kg2 Qxe2+ 16. Kg3 Nf5# 0-1

Old July 2nd 04, 09:07 AM
Arfur Million

"matt -`;'-" wrote in message
[...]

1 d4 e5 2 dxe5

is known as the Englund Gambit, after which black generally plays either
....Nc6,...Nge2,...Ng6 (perhaps with ...Qe7) or continues 2...d6 as in your
game, with a genuine gambit if white takes on d6. As you say it is an
uncommon opening, mainly because it is thought to be quite unsound and few
good players will use it in slow play games.

From my experience however (from the White side) it is extremely trappy to
face in blitz where I come across it reasonably often, and I'm not
excessively successful against it.

In the game you posted White played early moves that help black's
development (Bc4, Qd5) and weakened his kingside for little reason (h3, f4)
and that always helps to justify a gambit!

I don't really know much theory, but I suspect that white should just
develop quietly with e3, Be2, Nf3 etc and counter any black threats as they
arise - then Black would probably not get a full pawn's compensation.

Regards,
Arfur