Old July 6th 04, 10:08 PM
Ivan

Default Is Michael Adams still from England?

It says on site that GM Michael Adams is from England but how come
they are using a different country's flag:

http://wcclibya2004.com/news/f1/02.jpg

What country is that flag from?
Old July 6th 04, 10:26 PM
Eamon Warnock

"Ivan" wrote in message
om

It says on site that GM Michael Adams is from England but how come
they are using a different country's flag:

Different from what??

http://wcclibya2004.com/news/f1/02.jpg

What country is that flag from?

er...England?

Ae you from USA and do you know the difference between England and
Britain?

(That's called a yes-and-no question.) :-D

Old July 6th 04, 10:27 PM
Eamon Warnock

"Ivan" wrote in message
om

It says on site that GM Michael Adams is from England but how come
they are using a different country's flag:

Different from what??

http://wcclibya2004.com/news/f1/02.jpg

What country is that flag from?

er...England?

Are you from USA and do you know the difference between England and

Old July 6th 04, 10:57 PM
Chess One

"Ivan" wrote in message
om...
It says on site that GM Michael Adams is from England but how come
they are using a different country's flag:

http://wcclibya2004.com/news/f1/02.jpg

What country is that flag from?

Ivan, I first thought it was possibly a Cornish one which would be a
cultural emphasis rather than a political one. However, on looking at the
photograph I see that it is the flag of St. George of England. Cordially,
Phil

Old July 7th 04, 01:17 AM
Chris Cowley

On 6 Jul 2004 14:08:16 -0700, (Ivan) wrote:

It says on site that GM Michael Adams is from England but how come
they are using a different country's flag:

http://wcclibya2004.com/news/f1/02.jpg

What country is that flag from?

England.
--
Chris Cowley

Old July 7th 04, 04:30 AM
Nick

(Ivan) wrote:
It says on site that GM Michael Adams is from England

GM Nigel Short (of England) resides in Greece.

Here's an article, "I'm English, but what does that mean?",
by Anthony Andrew for 'The Guardian' (30 June 2004):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0...250307,00.html

"So much so, in fact, that you could argue that the defining characteristic
of being English is to be in a state of confusion about what it means to be
English. The modern English identity, we might conclude, is an identity crisis.
But mostly you hear the words ('the American people') because America,
for all its gaping divisions and latent hatreds, loves America.
After just a few days (in the United States), I felt suffocated by the
certainty and enforced inclusiveness of 'the American people' (though,
of course, the phrase excluded me). I longed for doubt. Like love,
doubt is a feeling that can only be fully appreciated in its absence.

There may be no clear definition of the English people--after all, you rarely
hear the phrase--but that, I think, is one of our most attractive qualities.
When I returned to London, the streets were full of St George's crosses--which
commemorate, in true English style, a mythical Turk--but I was not fooled.
The sense of irony and burlesque safely won out over jingoism and seriousness.
It was, in short, a relief to be home in England where, as an American once
wrote, my heart lies."

--Andrew Anthony (30 June 2004, 'The Guardian')

but how come they are using a different country's flag:
http://wcclibya2004.com/news/f1/02.jpg

What country is that flag from?

England. England is only one of the nations referred to by the 4NCL.

After England's Harriet Hunt won the World Junior Championship, she
was slightly discomfitted, she said, to find herself standing under
the Union Jack while 'God Save the Queen' was played in her honour. :-)

Could a nightingale sing in Berkeley Square when there's no one about
in the Quad? :-)

--Nick
Old July 7th 04, 05:22 AM
Angelo DePalma

It is kind of weird to see the flag of England instead of the more common
Union Jack.

Cornwall's flag has the same pattern but it's a white cross on a black
background. Guess they're in mourning over the fact that the last Cornish
speaking person died in 1978.

om...

Old July 7th 04, 10:43 AM
Jon Levitt

The flag is English enough but judging by the press coverage in the UK you'd
think Mickey was from somewhere else.

--
Jonathan Levitt

Homepage:
http://www.jlevitt.dircon.co.uk/index.htm

Webmaster:
http://www.chesschamps.com/

om...

Old July 7th 04, 04:43 PM
Roman M. Parparov

In rec.games.chess.analysis Taylor Kingston wrote:
(Ivan) wrote in message . com...

"What country is that flag from?"

The red cross on a white field is the flag of St. George, which was
(I believe) the English national flag from about 1200 until about
1603, when James VI of Scotland succeeded Elizabeth I and became James
I of England, ruling both countries. Under James, the Scottish flag
(the cross of St. Andrew, a white X on a blue field) was combined with
the cross of St. George. The union of England and Scotland as Great
Britain was formalized by the Act of Union of 1707. Still later (about
1801 I believe), the cross of St. Patrick (red X on white) was added
to represent Ireland. This is the Union Jack of today, the flag of
Great Britain, aka The United Kingdom, composed of England, Scotland,
Wales and Northern Ireland.
For whatever reason, Adams appears to be identifying himself as
specifically English rather than British.

Taylor Kingston

In all the sports British have each of the Jack countries presented by
a separate federation (football, rugby etc.) each such country
representative plays under their own country flag. For example, former
snooker champion Mark Williams plays under the Red Dragon flag of Wales,
while seven-time champion Stephen Hendry plays under the Scottish St. Andrew
Cross flag. I understand that the Red Dragon of Wales is not reflected in
the national UK flag.

--
Roman M. Parparov - NASA EOSDIS project node at TAU technical manager.
Email: