Old July 11th 04, 01:55 AM
Isidor Gunsberg

Default Table Top Chess Computers: Recommendations?

I'm searching for a Table Top Chess Computer, and would appreciate any
recommendations or suggestions.

I am keen to get a Table Top computer that features a playing
surface that is of a substantial size. Most of the computers that I
see on the market have squares that are just 1 inch on the sides. This
entails that the pieces are rather small. Usually, despite the fact
that the pieces are small, the chess pieces are large, relative to the
size of the chessboard squares, which gives the playing surface a
crowded appearance.

Therefore, I'm looking for computers that feature squares that are
at least 1.5 inches. I am aware that Excalibur Electronics makes such
a computer [The Grandmaster, with board dimensions of about 21" x 21",
but the cost is about $200. Is there any Table Top computer, with a
reasonably sized playing area, that costs less than $100

Also, I'm looking for a Table Top computer that is suited for kids.
It would be nice if it could "talk", and having an LCD display that
showed the current game position on an LCD board would be a nice
touch. In this regard, the size of the board and pieces do not matter
so much, as long as they are about "average". However, I am only
really looking for a computer that won't be more expensive than $100.

If somebody can recommend a vendor, that would be appreciated, too.

Thanks!

Old July 11th 04, 04:14 AM
PeteCasso

Look at the following wooden chess boards of tournament size that can be
connected to a computer loaded with a chess playing program.

http://www.dgtprojects.com/eboard.htm

The company also sells digital clocks that connect to those chess boards and
a piece of software for broadcasting the game to the Internet. The currently
ongoing FIDE world championship in Libya is using those chess boards.

I don't know of any prices, though.