Old July 13th 04, 11:03 AM
Rik

Default Rauzer Attack

Also called the Yugoslav Attack. Anyone familiar with this type of game in
which white tries to open up the h-file, with a lot of tactical
possibilities, as far as i understand.

1) e4 c5 2)Nf3 d6 3)d4 cxd4 4)Nxd4 Nf6 5) Nc3 g6
6) Be3 Bg7 7) f3 Nc6 8)Qd2 0-0 9) Bc4 Bd7.

Is it a popular type of opening and how are the results for white compared
to black. I can't seem to find much info on this one. Or is the Najdorf or
Scheveningen variaton more popular?

Thnx
Rik

Old July 13th 04, 07:30 PM
Mike Ogush

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 12:03:18 +0200, "Rik" wrote:

Also called the Yugoslav Attack. Anyone familiar with this type of game in
which white tries to open up the h-file, with a lot of tactical
possibilities, as far as i understand.

1) e4 c5 2)Nf3 d6 3)d4 cxd4 4)Nxd4 Nf6 5) Nc3 g6
6) Be3 Bg7 7) f3 Nc6 8)Qd2 0-0 9) Bc4 Bd7.

Is it a popular type of opening and how are the results for white compared
to black. I can't seem to find much info on this one. Or is the Najdorf or
Scheveningen variaton more popular?

Thnx
Rik

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 g6 begins the Dragon
variation of the Sicilian Defense (ECO codes B70-79). White has
several options for how to proceed among them is: 6.Be3 Bg7 7.f3 which
is the Yugoslav Attack (ECO codes B75-B79). When the game continues
7....Nc6 8.Qd2 O-O 9.O-O-O we reach the Rauser variation (ECO code
B76) 9.Bc4 leads to different variations of the Yugoslav attack (ECO
codes B77-B79. [Aside: In "Beating the Sicilian 3rd edition", Nunn &
Gallagher recommend the 9.O-O-O line against the Dtagon.]

If instead Black plays 5...a6 we reach the Najdorf variation (ECO
lines B90-B99) and if Black plays 5...e6 we reach the Scheveninigen
(ECO code B80-B89). Although because ...e6 is often played in the
Najdorf and ...a6 is often played in the Scheveningen a game could
move from obe variation to the other by transposing moves.

To determine popularity and performance of the different variations I
searched a large database (Chessbases Big Base 2001 with 1,687,182
games) for games in each of the variations and calculated the
performance across those games.
Results:
B70-79 Sicilian Dragon: 26,383 games
1-0 result: 10,415 games
1/2-1/2 result: 12,675 games
O-1 result: 13,954 games
White performance: 52%

B75-79 Sicilian Dragon, Yugoslav Attack: 12,323 games
1-0 result: 5,488 games
1/2-1/2 result: 3,211 games
O-1 result: 3,617 games
White performance: 58%

B76 Sicilian Dragon, Yugoslav Attack, Rauser Variation: 4.595 games
1-0 result: 2,067 games
1/2-1/2 result: 1,305 games
O-1 result: 1,220 games
White performance: 59%

B77-B79 Sicilian Dragon, Yugoslav Attack, Variations with 9.Bc4: 6,559
games
1-0 result: 2,878 games
1/2-1/2 result: 1,621 games
O-1 result: 2.056 games
White performance: 56%

B80-89 Sicilian Scheveningen: 42,536 games
1-0 result: 15,885 games
1/2-1/2 result: 12,675 games
O-1 result: 13,954 games
White performance: 52%

B90-99 Sicilian Najdorf: 24,932 games
1-0 result: 9,141 games
1/2-1/2 result: 7,411 games
O-1 result: 8,366 games
White performance: 52%

Having played the dragon myself for a few years and dabbled a lttle
bit with the Najdorf, my opinion is that the range of plans the Black
has to come up with is much fewer for the dragon variation than for
the other two. However, all of these variations have considerable
body of theory and practice behind them, which could be daunting for a
player trying to get statrted with a variaion of the sicilian.

Old July 13th 04, 09:29 PM
Rik

[...]

Thanks alot for your clear answer Mike.

Rik

Old July 14th 04, 09:28 AM
Roman M. Parparov

Rik wrote:

Is it a popular type of opening and how are the results for white compared
to black. I can't seem to find much info on this one. Or is the Najdorf or
Scheveningen variaton more popular?

I'd add that the classical Scheveningen move order (d6,Nf6,e6 or e6,Nf6,d6)
is under a severe crisis for no successful antidote against Keres Attack has
been found until now.

Thnx
Rik

--
Roman M. Parparov - NASA EOSDIS project node at TAU technical manager.
Email: http://www.nasa.proj.ac.il/