Old July 13th 04, 07:59 PM
Stefan Renzewitz

Default Adams proves why garbage openings ruin title chances

"Ray Gordon" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
he plays, as white:

1. e4 c5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. Bb5

We'll hear about how the system is "playable," but the fact is, 3. d4 is
"theory" for a reason: it's the OBVIOUSLY BEST MOVE. He just handed
equality to Black at MOVE THREE.

In top level games, the player who deviates from the best theory first
usually loses. This game is yet another example.

Adams was trying to cheat theory with a simple move that leads to

relatively
simple (but weak) lines for white. He lost, as he deserved to.

According to GM Rogozenko (author of the bible "Anti-Sicilians" for Black)
this is the only serious Anti-Sicilian with which White can play for an
advantage (unlike the much more populuar Alapin for example).

Stefan

Old July 14th 04, 04:43 AM
Mogath3

I'm going through a crisis here in NW NJ, where a bunch of whippersnappers
are beating me by playing girlie-girl openings like the stonewall (drywall),
KIA (king's insomnia attack), Pirc (pronounced "putz" in some slavic
language), and the Colle (collie, as in even Morris the Cat wouldn't play
it). I believe these openings:

If these openings are such girlie openings, how come you keep losing to them?
The Colle ties in to the Stonewall, Tromp, London, Torre. If these openings are
so bad, why do you wish to find books to see how to deal with them? Maybe a
little less time whining about how "girlie" they are and a little more time
looking them over and studying games and positions arising from them will yield
you a few more wins.

Regards,
Jeff

Old July 14th 04, 06:30 AM
KJ2350

One would have expected our "openings GM" (aka Ray Gordon), who by his own
admission averages 75 hours a week studying nothing but opening theory, would
have noticed by now that the mere HINT of facing a Sveshnikov Sicilian has many
of the world's elite turning to 3. Bb5 systems. But since most of his pathetic
observations are more correctly interpreted as the lonesome cries of a tortured
soul craving ANY kind of human interaction, perhaps not.

KJ
Old July 14th 04, 09:25 AM
Roman M. Parparov

One must add that 3.Bb5 is unplayable against the 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6
move order which still may transpose later into many 2....Nc6 lines.

I've beaten 2300, 2400 and 2500 players using Chameleon Sicilian
move order, sometimes transposing into Open lines, sometimes - not.
I play Chameleon for the last fifteen years, I feel it well, I know
my plans in the middlegame against any move order, I am flexible
to switch subvariations when needed and thus I know that Chameleon
Sicilian is the BEST thing against 1.e4 c5. FOR ME.

Remember there is no "optimal way" for advantage. Remember what Dr. Lasker
taught us, that the best move is most often the one that is most unpleasant
for your opponent.

--
Roman M. Parparov - NASA EOSDIS project node at TAU technical manager.
Email: http://www.nasa.proj.ac.il/
Old July 14th 04, 11:18 AM
Andreas Walkenhorst

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 08:14:19 GMT, "Ray Gordon"
wrote:

[snip]
3. d4 will make one a stronger player, as 3. Bb5 is an avoidance strategy
and nothing more. White is foregoing the objectively strongest move in
favor of one that is easier to "book up" on, even if the resulting position
is likely to be worse.

Could you please explain why 3.d4 is "objectively" the strongest move?
I guess you must have an ELO of 4000, to make such a statement.
Bb5 is a well respected alternative to 3.d4, and to call ist an
"avoidance strategy" just gives an idea about your qualification in
chess

Look at Patrick Wolff's repertoire if you want an example of a modern
American GM who plays sharp, theoretical lines.

.... Which led him - in contrast to Micky Adams - to an ELO of about
2550, which really proves your statement as correct LOL

Andreas

Old July 14th 04, 01:25 PM
Toni Lassila

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:18:35 +0100, Andreas Walkenhorst
wrote:
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 08:14:19 GMT, "Ray Gordon"
wrote stupid things:

[idiocy snipped]

Could you please explain why 3.d4 is "objectively" the strongest move?
I guess you must have an ELO of 4000, to make such a statement.

Ray has an ELO rating of 4000 in one-minute 20-first-moves chess,
about 1700 in normal rapid chess and about 1 in intelligent
conversation, which means the best move against him is to use your
killfile aggressively.

--
King's Gambit - http://kingsgambit.blogspot.com
Chess problems, tactics, analysis and more.
Old July 14th 04, 01:53 PM
Doctor SBD

No proof, not even a correct one, is needed for Rayboy in his delusions.

After all, he almost beat a GM once. Shouldn't that mean we all have to bow to
his obviously superior (read:lack of) knowledge? I mean Ray plays 3. d4 and so
did Fischer, so I think FIDE is thinking about correcting its mistake and
awarding Ray the GM title at its next Congress, possibly even the world title.

SBD
Old July 14th 04, 04:35 PM
Joshua B. Lilly

The Rossolimo does NOT give Black equality on move three. There is no
OBVIOUSLY BEST MOVE here. There are several good moves to choose from. He
didn`t lose the game for selecting the Rossolimo. Give me a break.

"Ray Gordon" wrote in message
he plays, as white:

1. e4 c5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. Bb5

We'll hear about how the system is "playable," but the fact is, 3. d4 is
"theory" for a reason: it's the OBVIOUSLY BEST MOVE. He just handed
equality to Black at MOVE THREE.

In top level games, the player who deviates from the best theory first
usually loses. This game is yet another example.

Adams was trying to cheat theory with a simple move that leads to

relatively
simple (but weak) lines for white. He lost, as he deserved to.

--
"I ain't gonna play Sun City" and the world's best chessplayers should not
play Libya, which banned the Israeli players from competing. Shame on the

Everything you need to know about women. FREE!

http://www.cybersheet.com/library.html
The Seduction Library

http://www.cybersheet.com/hotties.html
Why Hotties Choose Losers

http://www.cybersheet.com/6/ubb.x
The Seduction Library Forum

My IRC chat channel: freenode.net #seduction

Old July 14th 04, 05:49 PM
Oliver Maas

Hi!

he plays, as white:

1. e4 c5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. Bb5

We'll hear about how the system is "playable," but the fact is, 3. d4 is
"theory" for a reason: it's the OBVIOUSLY BEST MOVE. He just handed
equality to Black at MOVE THREE.

Point1: why should 3.d4 be the obviously best move? Despite the fact that it
is the most played move,
i see no "obvious" reason for your conclusion. But "the most played move" is
not always "the obviously best move".
I could as well state that the "Scotch is obviously better than the
RuyLopez" (but would there be any reason for this? i doubt it)...

Point2: look careful at the game, Adams had a clear advantage after the
opening.

In top level games, the player who deviates from the best theory first
usually loses. This game is yet another example.

Again: Adams had a clear advantage after the opening.

Adams was trying to cheat theory with a simple move that leads to

relatively
simple (but weak) lines for white. He lost, as he deserved to.

Have you really looked at the game?

"I ain't gonna play Sun City" and the world's best chessplayers should not
play Libya, which banned the Israeli players from competing. Shame on the
Americans who went!

Well, i agree with the point that Libya was a bad choice for such a
competition.

Everything you need to know about women. FREE!

http://www.cybersheet.com/library.html
The Seduction Library

http://www.cybersheet.com/hotties.html
Why Hotties Choose Losers

http://www.cybersheet.com/6/ubb.x
The Seduction Library Forum

My IRC chat channel: freenode.net #seduction

Um, well, :-) i dont comment on that...

friendly regards

Oliver

Old July 15th 04, 01:57 AM
Nick

"Roman M. Parparov" wrote in
message ...
One must add that 3.Bb5 is unplayable against the 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6
move order which still may transpose later into many 2....Nc6 lines.

I have played as Black some amusing blitz games that began with
1 e4 c5 2 Nf3 e6 3 Bb5? a6 4 Ba4?? b5 5 Bb3 c4 and Black is winning.

After he lost the game, one opponent (who could hardly understand what had
gone wrong for him) complained to me that his chess coach had assured him
that playing 3 Bb5 was a completely sound way to avoid the 'theoretical lines'
of the Sicilian Defence. :-)

--Nick