Old July 14th 04, 10:21 PM
Arindam Chakraborty

Default What computer thinks about my position?

Hi,
I am a amatuer chess player and I have been using different chess
softwares to imporve my game (mainly fritz8, but also CM9000).
Whenever I am playing chess against Fritz8, it assigns a number (in
terms of pawn units) to my position. I guess other chess softwares
also assign numerical values to a position as well and uses that
number to judge whose position (white or black) is currently better.

I was wondering is there any to find out the breakup of that
number/analysis. By that I mean is there a way to see the numeric
value of the individual component (like open files, pawn formation,
piece activity, etc) that makeup the whole analysis.

My question is not restricted to Fritz8, if there is any code (source
and executable) that runs on Win/Linux/Unix that has this feature I
will be happy to use it.
Old July 19th 04, 03:35 PM
David Richerby

Arindam Chakraborty wrote:
I was wondering is there any to find out the breakup of that
number/analysis. By that I mean is there a way to see the numeric
value of the individual component (like open files, pawn formation,
piece activity, etc) that makeup the whole analysis.

My question is not restricted to Fritz8, if there is any code (source
and executable) that runs on Win/Linux/Unix that has this feature I
will be happy to use it.

I'm not aware of any software that gives such breakdowns but you could
patch something like Crafty to do what you want. I'm not sure it would be
very useful, though: you won't learn very much about the control of open
files by knowing that Crafty assigns x centipawns to having a rook on one.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Simple Transparent Gnome (TM): it's
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ like a smiling garden ornament but
Old July 20th 04, 11:20 PM
Simon Krahnke

* Arindam Chakraborty (2004-07-14) schrieb:

I am a amatuer chess player and I have been using different chess
softwares to imporve my game (mainly fritz8, but also CM9000).
Whenever I am playing chess against Fritz8, it assigns a number (in
terms of pawn units) to my position. I guess other chess softwares
also assign numerical values to a position as well and uses that
number to judge whose position (white or black) is currently better.

The main use is to decide which move is the best. Its the information
that decides which of the searches paths are the best.

I was wondering is there any to find out the breakup of that
number/analysis. By that I mean is there a way to see the numeric
value of the individual component (like open files, pawn formation,
piece activity, etc) that makeup the whole analysis.

Of course that is impossible. The problem is, that all these information
is gathered on the leafs of the search tree, combined into a single
number and passed down the search tree. If you want to have this
information at the root of the search, it has to be passed down all the
way.

mfg, simon .... l