Old July 16th 04, 03:11 PM
Adventurous One

Default BOBBY FISCHER DETAINED IN JAPAN; MAY BE HANDED OVER TO THE UNITED STATES

Japan Detains Ex-Chess Champ Bobby Fischer

2 hours, 17 minutes ago Add Top Stories - AP to My Yahoo!

By NATALIE OBIKO PEARSON, Associated Press Writer

TOKYO - Former world chess champion Bobby Fischer, wanted since 1992
for playing a tournament in Yugoslavia despite U.N. sanctions, has
been detained in Japan, clearing the way for his extradition to the
United States.

AP Photo

Fischer was stopped at Tokyo's Narita International Airport on Tuesday
as he tried to go to the Philippines, an airport official said on
condition of anonymity.

Miyoko Watai, a Japan Chess Association official who described herself
as a longtime friend of Fischer's, said the eccentric chess prodigy
discovered when he was detained that the United States had revoked his
passport.

Watai, who said she had spoken with Fischer since his detention, added
that he was told he would be extradited but that he would appeal.

The U.S. Embassy in Tokyo said it knew Fischer had been detained but
refused further comment, citing privacy concerns.

Fischer became a Cold War hero in 1972 when he defeated Boris Spassky
of the Soviet Union to become the first American world chess champion.
But the chess prodigy, long know for his eccentric ways, stunned the
chess world by refusing to play again, and had slipped mysteriously in
and out of public view in the years since.

He forfeited the title in 1975, and resurfaced for a dramatic rematch
against Spassky in Yugoslavia in 1992, beating him 10-5 to win $3.35
million.

U.S. authorities accused him of violating U.N. sanctions imposed
against Yugoslavia for provoking warfare in neighboring
Bosnia-Herzegovina.

Fischer, indicted by a grand jury in 1992, managed to elude
authorities and left a tantalizing trail that included radio
broadcasts from the Philippines and sightings in Japan.

The Athens-based World Chess Federation had no comment about Fischer's
arrest.

"The international federation has had no connection with Mr. Fischer
since 1975, so officially we are not in a position to say something
about this," said Giorgos Mastrokoukos, the federation's public
relations director.

In radio interviews, Fischer praised the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks,
saying America should be "wiped out," and described Jews as "thieving,
lying *******s." His mother was Jewish.

Fischer, now 61 years old, became grandmaster at age 15.

He announced that he had abandoned chess in 1996 and launched a new
version, "Fischerandom," a computerized shuffler that randomly
distributes chess pieces on the back row of the chess board at the
start of each game.

Fischer claimed it would bring the fun back into the game and rid it
of cheats.
Old July 16th 04, 09:57 PM
Claus-Jürgen Heigl

Adventurous One wrote:

TOKYO - Former world chess champion Bobby Fischer, wanted since 1992
for playing a tournament in Yugoslavia despite U.N. sanctions, has
been detained in Japan, clearing the way for his extradition to the
United States.

Does anybody know what UN regulation specifically prohibited Fischer
from participating in a private chess match in Yugoslavia? This wasn't
exactly a FIDE match or something. As far as I know, Spassky, the
other participant, never was indicted in any sense.

I watched Fischer burning an american flag in front of the TV cameras
during the opening press conference which is a crime under american
law, but then again this didn't happen on american soil (and not under
american jurisdiction?).

It makes me wonder when the US government is regarding the UN as
"irrelevant" and when not.

Claus-Juergen
Old July 17th 04, 02:33 AM
Bugsy

"Claus-Jürgen Heigl" wrote in message
Adventurous One wrote:

[...]

Not UN law USA law

http://home.att.ne.jp/moon/fischer/list/p_4/4_0.htm

Old July 17th 04, 07:45 AM
Adventurous One

They might try to get Fischer on tax evasion charges and violating
U.S. sanctions against Yugoslavia. State Dept. will say (most likely)
that as U.S, citizen, Fischer has to obey U.S. laws in regard to
sanctions. But you raise a good point: If it is a PRIVATE match, then
where does US law come in? That said, I think State Dept. will try to
get him on tax evasion. Fischer did not
pay taxes for over 20 years.

Old July 18th 04, 02:08 AM
Claus-Jürgen Heigl