Old July 18th 04, 04:34 AM
Rich Hansen

Default Analysis/Critique Requested

Hello,

In an effort to improve, I've taken to playing long time control
games. The following is one I recently played; I present the game
first, and my own analysis following (less analysis and more my
thought process during the game). If any stronger players (I am a
novice, as will be immediately apparent I'm afraid :-) would like to
review the game and comment on moves, or even better what I missed or
misinterpretations I had, I would be grateful. Although I can't be
sure (he had no games played), I believe my opponent was of similar
strength. I played the black pieces in this game.

Thanks!
Rich

[Event "ICS rated standard match"]
[Site "freechess.org"]
[Date "2004.07.17"]
[Round "-"]
[White "nonukes"]
[Black "rhansen"]
[Result "0-1"]
[WhiteElo "0"]
[BlackElo "1453"]
[TimeControl "5400+30"]

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nf6 3. Nxe5 d6 4. Nf3 Nxe4 5. Qe2 Qe7 6. d3 Nf6 7. Nc3
Nc6
8. Bg5 Be6 9. Ne4 O-O-O 10. Nxf6 gxf6 11. Be3 Bg7 12. Qd2 Rhe8 13. d4
Bg4
14. d5 Ne5 15. Nxe5 Qxe5 16. Bb5 Qxb2 17. Qa5 Qxa1+ 18. Kd2 Qxh1 19.
Qxa7
Qd1+ 20. Kc3 f5+ 21. Kb4 Re4+ 22. c4 Qb1+ 23. Ka3 Qb2+ 24. Ka4 Bd1+
25. Ka5
Qc3#
{nonukes checkmated} 0-1

1. e4 e5

I always meet e4 with e5, as I don't know other lines as well.

2. Nf3 Nf6

He attacks my pawn, and I attack right back. I love this
play-- white almost always plays Nxe5.

3. Nxe5

And I'm down a pawn, but capture on e4 is imminent.

3. ...d6

Attacking his Knight and opening lines for my Bishop.

4. Nf3 Nxe4

I regain parity.

5. Qe2

Here it becomes new to me. I considered Qe7 and d5. d5
seemed good, and in retrospect I think might have been better. I
chose Qe7 as it retains a measure of control on the open e-file, and I
didn't mind trading queens with a lead in development after an
eventual 1. ...Nf6 2. Qxe7 Bxe7

5. ...Qe7
6. d3 Nf6

I retreat my Knight- I don't want it chased around the center
before I'm developed. Furthermore, I was hoping 7. Qxe7 for the
aforementioned reasons.

Our positions are (nearly) identical.

7. Nc3 Nc6

He develops his other Knight, and I decide to do the same to
fight for the center. I also considered Bf4, pinning his Knight to
his Queen, but decided it was a waste of time since after h3 I had no
intention of trading a bishop for a knight. I was expecting the
position to open up fast. My intention at this point becomes to
control the open e-file.

8. Bg5

He makes the move I had just decided against. Here our
positions (finally) begin to become dissimilar.

I also realized two things. If he does decide to play Bxf6, I
really don't want to play gxf6 as I'm intending to castle Kingside.
Which leads to the second realization: My dark bishop is entombed on
the back rank, as I can't play 1. ...g6 2. ...Bg7, hanging my Knight.
I decide to relase my Queen, and develop a piece at the same time.

8. ...Be6

I felt at this point that my game was better due to my better
placed Bishop.

9. Ne4
And I'm stuck- playing gxf6 now appears unpreventable. I
decide, after a long look, that this will happen so castle Queenside
and get that rook in the game before the attack begins.

9. ...0-0-0
10. Nxf6 gxf6

My pawns are doubled, but I feel like I've gained more. My
pieces are more active, my dark Bishop has been freed (although it
currently has few useful squares), and hopefully I can exercise some
control along the half open g-file if the center becomes locked up.

11. Be3

My a7 pawn is currently defended, but I have a feeling he is
starting an attack on that wing. I considered my next move for a
while. I wanted to play in the center, and begin an attack along the
e-file. I considered d6, exercising more control in the center, but
felt it would simply become a target there. I considered f6, as I
wanted to open the a1-h8 diagonal for my Bishop, but I felt it would
give white's Knight inroads into my position. I decide to strengthen
my hold on the e-file:

11. ...Bg7

Not a great spot, but it does open my back rank so I can
activate my remaining rook. I can open the diagonal if I want, but in
the meantime I'm supporting my weak f6 pawn. At least my Bishop is
doing -something-.

12. Qd2

And I'm more convinced he's going after my a7 pawn and my
King. I still have time, and continue with my plans.

12. ... Rhe8

Suprised he hasn't castled yet. I hope to make the e-file the
focus of play.

13. d4

Unsure of his intentions (they are obvious in retrospect).

13. ...Bg4

Avoiding the pawn fork and opening the e-file.

14. d5

Only now do I see he is clearing my Knight from the defense of
a7. I had realized last move that after his Queen move my Knight had
few flight squares.

14. ...Ne5

Blocking my pin on his Bishop, but he can't play Bxa7 due to
15. ... Nc6+ 16. Be2 Nxa7, although this would weaken my King and
perhaps be valid. Or, alternatively, 15. Bxa7 Nc4+ 16. Qe2 Qxe2 17.
Bxe2 Nxb2, winning a pawn, or 17. ... Nxe3 18. fxe3, gaining the
bishop pair. In any event, he played:

15. Nxe5

I had two choices, fxe5 or Qxe5. Reconnecting my pawns was
tempting, but what good would it do me? It would block my e-file
pressure, and I have no pieces on the queenside to defend the coming
assault. Furthermore, it would hang my a7 pawn. In any event, my
doubled pawns certainly don't feel weak-- they are well defended and
not attacked. I play Qxe5 to maintain pressure on the e-file,
maintain the pin on his dark bishop, and keep after his uncastled
King.

15. ...Qxe5
16. Bb5

His attack strengthens, and I thought long about my next move.
Qxb2 was tempting. 17. Bxe8 Qxa1+ 18. Kd2 Qxh1 wins both rooks for
one, and his position would be bad. I then saw 16. ... Qxb2 17. Qa5
and 18. Qxa7, where my only defense is 18. ...c6 19. Bxc6 Kc7 and
while I'm still alive, I will probably be mated. In any event, I
would get one move after Qxa7 before I have to play this defense to
avoid mate on a8. I see 16. ...Qxb2 17. Qa5 Qxa1+ 18. Qd2 Qxh1 19.
Qxa7 Qd1+ 20. Kc6, where I must continue to force check or play my
aforementioned defense.I can play f5+ or Qa1+. Qa1+ allows him back
into the center, and f5 gave him three flight squares. This was as
far as I analyzed in the game-- I felt I had a strong attack, and
still had my less than spectacular defense in my pocket.

Play went as anticipated:

16. ...Qxb2
17. Qa5 Qxa1+
18. Kd2 Qxh1
19. Qxa7 Qd1+
20. Kc3

And I was wondering if I had made the right decision-- I had
to keep up the attack.

20. ...f5+
21. Kb4

I had noticed that if 21. Kb3, I had 21. ...Qb1+ 22. Ka4 Qxb5
Kxb5, allowing my King to escape and maintaining a material advantage
if need be. I suppose he saw that too.
Only now did I realize that my rook could join the attack with
Re4+. If 22. Ka5 Bc6#. 22. Ka3 could have been serious trouble...
22. ... Rxe3+ 23. fxe3 Qc1+, and I'm unsure of the outcome. In any
event, I played the move:

21. ... Re4+
22. c4

I think Ka3 was superior. In any event, at this point I saw
forced mate:

22. ...Qb1+

23. Ka5 Bc3+ 24. Ka4 Qb4#
23. Ka4 Bd1+ 24. Ka3 Qb3# or
24. Ka5 Bc3#
23. Ka3 Qb2+ 24. Ka4 Bd1+ 25. Ka5 Qc3#

Play continued along the last line:

23. Ka3 Qb2+
24. Ka4 Bd1+
25. Ka5 Qc3#

Prettier perhaps was Bc3# or Qa3#, but who cares about that.

Comments/Criticism of game and/or analysis appreciated!

Old July 18th 04, 05:26 AM
skoonj

I added a few notes (*) below, even though I'm no great player either. For
the record, you may learn a lot if you post your losses (although analyzing
your own games is great).

"Rich Hansen" wrote in message

1. e4 e5

I always meet e4 with e5, as I don't know other lines as well.

2. Nf3 Nf6

He attacks my pawn, and I attack right back. I love this
play-- white almost always plays Nxe5.

3. Nxe5

And I'm down a pawn, but capture on e4 is imminent.

3. ...d6

Attacking his Knight and opening lines for my Bishop.

4. Nf3 Nxe4

I regain parity.

5. Qe2

Here it becomes new to me. I considered Qe7 and d5. d5
seemed good, and in retrospect I think might have been better.

*No. 5...d5? runs into 6.d6! This pops up often in double king pawn
openings.

I chose Qe7 as it retains a measure of control on the open e-file, and I
didn't mind trading queens with a lead in development after an
eventual 1. ...Nf6 2. Qxe7 Bxe7

5. ...Qe7
6. d3 Nf6

I retreat my Knight- I don't want it chased around the center
before I'm developed. Furthermore, I was hoping 7. Qxe7 for the
aforementioned reasons.

Our positions are (nearly) identical.

7. Nc3 Nc6

*These both block in the c-pawns. A c4/d4 pawn center would be nice (c5/d5
for black), or maybe even c3/d4 (d6/d5).

He develops his other Knight, and I decide to do the same to
fight for the center. I also considered Bf4, pinning his Knight to
his Queen, but decided it was a waste of time since after h3 I had no
intention of trading a bishop for a knight. I was expecting the
position to open up fast. My intention at this point becomes to
control the open e-file.

8. Bg5

He makes the move I had just decided against. Here our
positions (finally) begin to become dissimilar.

I also realized two things. If he does decide to play Bxf6, I
really don't want to play gxf6 as I'm intending to castle Kingside.
Which leads to the second realization: My dark bishop is entombed on
the back rank, as I can't play 1. ...g6 2. ...Bg7, hanging my Knight.
I decide to relase my Queen, and develop a piece at the same time.

8. ...Be6

*Your reasoning sounds good to me, although I think simply exchanging Queens
would be fine.

[...]

*If White castles kingside, ..Rg8 might be good at some point. If White
castles queenside, then ...f5 could make this bishop strong.Your pawn
structure can be a disadvanage in the end game, but with his King in the
center, you have chances before then.

12. Qd2

And I'm more convinced he's going after my a7 pawn

*...Kb8 is somewhat standard with Queenside castling.

and my
King. I still have time, and continue with my plans.

12. ... Rhe8

Suprised he hasn't castled yet.

*I agree.

I hope to make the e-file the
focus of play.

13. d4

Unsure of his intentions (they are obvious in retrospect).

13. ...Bg4

Avoiding the pawn fork and opening the e-file.

14. d5

Only now do I see he is clearing my Knight from the defense of
a7. I had realized last move that after his Queen move my Knight had
few flight squares.

14. ...Ne5

Blocking my pin on his Bishop, but he can't play Bxa7 due to
15. ... Nc6+ 16. Be2 Nxa7, although this would weaken my King and
perhaps be valid. Or, alternatively, 15. Bxa7 Nc4+ 16. Qe2 Qxe2 17.
Bxe2 Nxb2, winning a pawn, or 17. ... Nxe3 18. fxe3, gaining the
bishop pair.

** 15 Bxa7? Nxf3++ would be brutal.

[...]

*This basically ends the game, but I can see your concern about Qxa7 etc.
Still, you've got to have faith that the king hunt will pay off when you
have so many pieces firing away. And ...c6 would have defended, I think.

-T

Old July 18th 04, 01:12 PM
Toni Lassila

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 23:34:17 -0400, Rich Hansen
wrote:

Here it becomes new to me. I considered Qe7 and d5. d5
seemed good, and in retrospect I think might have been better. I
chose Qe7 as it retains a measure of control on the open e-file, and I
didn't mind trading queens with a lead in development after an
eventual 1. ...Nf6 2. Qxe7 Bxe7

5...d5? is a blunder. 6. d3 and the knight hangs. Always resolve pins
as quickly as possible.

I also realized two things. If he does decide to play Bxf6, I
really don't want to play gxf6 as I'm intending to castle Kingside.
Which leads to the second realization: My dark bishop is entombed on
the back rank, as I can't play 1. ...g6 2. ...Bg7, hanging my Knight.
I decide to relase my Queen, and develop a piece at the same time.

The easiest is just to chop off the queens: 8...Qxe2 9. Bxe2 Be7. This
won't stop the capture on f6 though, as White can play Nb5! and force
the bishop to d7, after which White captures 11. Bxf6 gxf6. But Black
has the bishop pair and the queens are off so the pawn structure
weakness is not serious.

8. ...Be6

I felt at this point that my game was better due to my better
placed Bishop.

9. Ne4
And I'm stuck- playing gxf6 now appears unpreventable. I
decide, after a long look, that this will happen so castle Queenside
and get that rook in the game before the attack begins.

You have to be a little careful here since Black is still very cramped
and the bishop on f8 won't get to the queenside that quickly should
White try something.

Blocking my pin on his Bishop, but he can't play Bxa7 due to
15. ... Nc6+ 16. Be2 Nxa7, although this would weaken my King and
perhaps be valid.

In fact, 15. Bxa7?? Nxf3+ 16. Kd1 Qe1+ 17. Qxe1 Rxe1 is mate!

Or, alternatively, 15. Bxa7 Nc4+ 16. Qe2 Qxe2 17.
Bxe2 Nxb2, winning a pawn, or 17. ... Nxe3 18. fxe3, gaining the
bishop pair. In any event, he played:

15. Nxe5

I had two choices, fxe5 or Qxe5.

15...fxe5? 16. Qa5! and White is winning.

15. ...Qxe5
16. Bb5

Speculative attack which turns out to be unsound. From this point on
you played well and went on to a deserved win.

--
King's Gambit - http://kingsgambit.blogspot.com
Chess problems, tactics, analysis and more.
Old July 18th 04, 05:55 PM
Herb Wolfe

Rich Hansen wrote:
: Hello,

Hello.

: 1. e4 e5
: 2. Nf3 Nf6
: 3. Nxe5 d6
: 4. Nf3 Nxe4
: 5. Qe2

: Here it becomes new to me. I considered Qe7 and d5. d5
: seemed good, and in retrospect I think might have been better. I
: chose Qe7 as it retains a measure of control on the open e-file, and I
: didn't mind trading queens with a lead in development after an
: eventual 1. ...Nf6 2. Qxe7 Bxe7

Still in a main line Petroff Defense. 5. ... Qe7 is the right response.

: 5. ...Qe7
: 6. d3 Nf6

: I retreat my Knight- I don't want it chased around the center
: before I'm developed. Furthermore, I was hoping 7. Qxe7 for the
: aforementioned reasons.

White isn't likely to give black a lead in development like that, as small
as it is.

: 7. Nc3 Nc6

7. Bg5 is "book" followed by a trade of Queens and the game is even.

: He develops his other Knight, and I decide to do the same to
: fight for the center. I also considered Bf4, pinning his Knight to
: his Queen, but decided it was a waste of time since after h3 I had no
: intention of trading a bishop for a knight. I was expecting the
: position to open up fast. My intention at this point becomes to
: control the open e-file.

I'm sure you mean 7. ... Bg4. Honestly if he kicks, I wouldn't trade either,
but it's hardly a waste of time if he weakens his kingside with g4, after Bh5.

I'd prefer Qxe2, followed by d5, gaining a bit of space in the center, and
freeing your KB.

: 8. Bg5

: I also realized two things. If he does decide to play Bxf6, I
: really don't want to play gxf6 as I'm intending to castle Kingside.
: Which leads to the second realization: My dark bishop is entombed on
: the back rank, as I can't play 1. ...g6 2. ...Bg7, hanging my Knight.
: I decide to relase my Queen, and develop a piece at the same time.

: 8. ...Be6

I still like the queen trade. This bishop belongs on f5, where it holds back
the d-pawn by threatening c2 after a queen trade.

: I felt at this point that my game was better due to my better
: placed Bishop.

White's game is better. He retains his opening advantage, while black's
game just looks cramped.

: 9. Ne4
: And I'm stuck- playing gxf6 now appears unpreventable. I
: decide, after a long look, that this will happen so castle Queenside
: and get that rook in the game before the attack begins.

The attack has already begun. White wants to chop off the Nf6 so he can
push d4 and d5.

: 9. ...0-0-0
: 10. Nxf6 gxf6

: My pawns are doubled, but I feel like I've gained more. My
: pieces are more active, my dark Bishop has been freed (although it
: currently has few useful squares), and hopefully I can exercise some
: control along the half open g-file if the center becomes locked up.

How are your pieces more active? Your KB has gotten worse, not better. It's
inactive and bad. The queen is on it's best square right now. There's
nothing on the g-file to attack. g2 is protected by the bishop.

: 11. Be3

: My a7 pawn is currently defended, but I have a feeling he is
: starting an attack on that wing. I considered my next move for a
: while. I wanted to play in the center, and begin an attack along the
: e-file. I considered d6, exercising more control in the center, but
: felt it would simply become a target there. I considered f6, as I
: wanted to open the a1-h8 diagonal for my Bishop, but I felt it would
: give white's Knight inroads into my position. I decide to strengthen
: my hold on the e-file:

: 11. ...Bg7

: Not a great spot, but it does open my back rank so I can
: activate my remaining rook. I can open the diagonal if I want, but in
: the meantime I'm supporting my weak f6 pawn. At least my Bishop is
: doing -something-.

11. ... d5 would be better, threatening both d4 and opening a diagonal for
the KB.

: 12. Qd2

: And I'm more convinced he's going after my a7 pawn and my
: King. I still have time, and continue with my plans.

More like a waiting move. White could still castle either side, depending
on black's next move or two. He also allows for the possibility of playing
Bh6 to trade bishops and force the KR to stay on h8 to protect the h-pawn.

: 12. ... Rhe8

: Suprised he hasn't castled yet. I hope to make the e-file the
: focus of play.

: 13. d4

: Unsure of his intentions (they are obvious in retrospect).

The fork on d5 is pretty obvious right away. It also frees the KB, and
doesn't rule out the Bh6 idea.

: 13. ...Bg4

: 14. d5

: Only now do I see he is clearing my Knight from the defense of
: a7. I had realized last move that after his Queen move my Knight had
: few flight squares.

And gaining space as well.

: 14. ...Ne5

: Blocking my pin on his Bishop, but he can't play Bxa7 due to
: 15. ... Nc6+ 16. Be2 Nxa7, although this would weaken my King and
: perhaps be valid. Or, alternatively, 15. Bxa7 Nc4+ 16. Qe2 Qxe2 17.
: Bxe2 Nxb2, winning a pawn, or 17. ... Nxe3 18. fxe3, gaining the
: bishop pair. In any event, he played:

As another poster pointed out, Bxa7 leads to mate after Nxf3+.

: 15. Nxe5

Here I like Nd4 better, looking towards b5. When you're attacking, you
don't want to exchange pieces unless it leads to an advantage.

: I had two choices, fxe5 or Qxe5. Reconnecting my pawns was
: tempting, but what good would it do me? It would block my e-file
: pressure, and I have no pieces on the queenside to defend the coming
: assault. Furthermore, it would hang my a7 pawn. In any event, my
: doubled pawns certainly don't feel weak-- they are well defended and
: not attacked. I play Qxe5 to maintain pressure on the e-file,
: maintain the pin on his dark bishop, and keep after his uncastled
: King.

Good reasoning here.

: 15. ...Qxe5
: 16. Bb5

I think white has to take time to play c3 here. I don't see anything
better.

[...]

I think he saw 21. Kb3 Qd5+, losing the bishop or mating.

: Only now did I realize that my rook could join the attack with
: Re4+. If 22. Ka5 Bc6#. 22. Ka3 could have been serious trouble...
: 22. ... Rxe3+ 23. fxe3 Qc1+, and I'm unsure of the outcome. In any
: event, I played the move:

: 21. ... Re4+

21. ... Qb1+ is ok, too.
22. Kc4 Be2++; 22. Ka3 Qb2+ 23. Ka4 Re4+, with mate to follow; 22. Ka4 Qxa2+
23. Kb4 Re4+ 24. c4 Qb2+, etc.

: 22. c4

: I think Ka3 was superior. In any event, at this point I saw
: forced mate:

: 22. ...Qb1+

: 23. Ka5 Bc3+ 24. Ka4 Qb4#
: 23. Ka4 Bd1+ 24. Ka3 Qb3# or
: 24. Ka5 Bc3#
: 23. Ka3 Qb2+ 24. Ka4 Bd1+ 25. Ka5 Qc3#

: Play continued along the last line:

: 23. Ka3 Qb2+
: 24. Ka4 Bd1+
: 25. Ka5 Qc3#

: Prettier perhaps was Bc3# or Qa3#, but who cares about that.

: Comments/Criticism of game and/or analysis appreciated!

Not too bad of a game. Once he let you off the hook with Bb5?? you finished
him off nicely.

Old July 18th 04, 10:05 PM
Antonio Torrecillas

En/na Rich Hansen ha escrit:
Hello,

In an effort to improve, I've taken to playing long time control
games. The following is one I recently played; I present the game
first, and my own analysis following (less analysis and more my
thought process during the game). (...)

I think it's a good way to improve.

[...]

5...d5 is a mistake, 6.d3 wins a piece

But I don't agree Toni advice "Always resolve pins as quickly as
possible." it seems to me that you sometimes you have better things than
to resolve pins.

12. Qd2

And I'm more convinced he's going after my a7 pawn and my
King. I still have time, and continue with my plans.

It's a good idea to try to find the opponent possibilities.
Curiously, at lowel levels players have fear of more things and at
higher levels players have less fears but more justified.

Experience tells to me that an attack need more pieces in the main area
than the number of pieces opponent have and in most part of cases an
attack with no better development and king uncastled lead to defeat.

14. ...Ne5

Blocking my pin on his Bishop, but he can't play Bxa7 due to
15. ... Nc6+ 16. Be2 Nxa7, although this would weaken my King and
perhaps be valid. Or, alternatively, 15. Bxa7 Nc4+ 16. Qe2 Qxe2 17.
Bxe2 Nxb2, winning a pawn, or 17. ... Nxe3 18. fxe3, gaining the
bishop pair. In any event, he played:

15.Bxa7 is a bad move but not for the reasons you wrote.
That shows to you a need of more tactical skills.

16. Bb5

His attack strengthens, and I thought long about my next move.
Qxb2 was tempting. 17. Bxe8 Qxa1+ 18. Kd2 Qxh1 wins both rooks for
one, and his position would be bad. I then saw 16. ... Qxb2 17. Qa5
and 18. Qxa7, where my only defense is 18. ...c6 19. Bxc6 Kc7 and
while I'm still alive, I will probably be mated. In any event, I
would get one move after Qxa7 before I have to play this defense to
avoid mate on a8. I see 16. ...Qxb2 17. Qa5 Qxa1+ 18. Qd2 Qxh1 19.
Qxa7 Qd1+ 20. Kc6, where I must continue to force check or play my
aforementioned defense.I can play f5+ or Qa1+. Qa1+ allows him back
into the center, and f5 gave him three flight squares. This was as
far as I analyzed in the game-- I felt I had a strong attack, and
still had my less than spectacular defense in my pocket.

Here is the critical moment in the game.
- 16.Bb5 is a blunder and leads to defeat (you seemed to anticipate this
and that is a good sign). But you should recognize you won that game a
cause of that bad move, if white would have played other bishop moves
(Bd3 or Bc4) the fight would have continued.

My advice is to continue doing this (to play and to analyze), to combine
this with reading some books and with training your tactical skills and
you will observe that doing that "your opponents play worse".

AT

Old July 18th 04, 10:17 PM
Antonio Torrecillas

En/na Rich Hansen ha escrit:

[Event "ICS rated standard match"]
[Site "freechess.org"]
[Date "2004.07.17"]
[Round "-"]
[White "nonukes"]
[Black "rhansen"]
[Result "0-1"]
[WhiteElo "0"]
[BlackElo "1453"]
[TimeControl "5400+30"]

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nf6 3. Nxe5 d6 4. Nf3 Nxe4 5. Qe2 Qe7 6. d3 Nf6 7. Nc3
Nc6 8. Bg5 Be6 9. Ne4 O-O-O 10. Nxf6 gxf6 11. Be3 Bg7 12. Qd2 Rhe8
13. d4 Bg4 14. d5 Ne5 15. Nxe5 Qxe5 16. Bb5 Qxb2 17. Qa5 Qxa1+
18. Kd2 Qxh1 19.Qxa7 Qd1+ 20. Kc3 f5+ 21. Kb4 Re4+ 22. c4 Qb1+
23. Ka3 Qb2+ 24. Ka4 Bd1+ 25. Ka5 Qc3# {nonukes checkmated} 0-1

I forgot one comment: intuition is as important as acurate analysis, you
have to check if "your feels and the lines you saw during the game" were
correct or not.

Working hard in many games you will improve both aspects.

20. Kc3
And I was wondering if I had made the right decision-- I had
to keep up the attack.
(...)

Old July 19th 04, 03:13 PM
David Richerby

Antonio Torrecillas wrote:
But I don't agree Toni advice "Always resolve pins as quickly as
possible." it seems to me that you sometimes you have better things
than to resolve pins.

I propose the following rule: ``Always read a rule that starts with
`always' as if it said `usually'.'' Yes, it applies to itself.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Simple.com (TM): it's like an
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ E-commerce portal but it has no