Old July 29th 03, 03:47 AM
Ivan

Default creating a study plan

How do you create a study plan for chess improvement ?
Old July 29th 03, 05:58 AM
Jan Matthies

Hi Ivan,

one very important part will be to play at least one long game per week !
Analyse them and see and learn from your mistakes.

I'm sure the other guys here will jump in on the topic.

Yours,
Jan Matthies
Chess Visualisation Training
http://www.janmatthies.info/chess/cvt/cvt.htm

"Ivan" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
om...
How do you create a study plan for chess improvement ?

Old July 29th 03, 07:03 PM
Thierry Angers

Hi Ivan,

There is very interesting books out there, I read 2 of them and liked them
very much: "Chess Master... at any age" by Wetzell and "Rapid chess
improvement" by Michael de la Maza. For this second book, if you read the
critics and reviews of this book, they just throw it down the shelf. Maybe
it is because he himself throws a lot of general principles down. (Like "GM
instruction is sub-optimal at the class level") He also downs the best
selling book "How to reassess your chess" by J. Silman (which IMHO I think
is awesome, I gained 400 rating points after reading it). If you are
passionned enough to to what he calls "the 7 circles", I am sure you will
improve.

Regards,

Thierry Angers

[email protected]

Old July 31st 03, 02:22 AM
Mike Ogush

On 28 Jul 2003 19:47:22 -0700, (Ivan) wrote:

How do you create a study plan for chess improvement ?

What I would do is play a number (at least 5 no more than 20) of games
at classical time controls (ot at least at least as slow as Game/60)
against opposition that is equal or slightly stronger that me. After
each game (or during it if it was OK with my opponent) I would write
down what I was thinking: the variations I calculated, the plans I
made, the evaluations to positions I made, the blunders I didn't see,
etc.

Then I would go to a strong player (master strength or possibly only
an expert if my strength was less than an A-player (USCFrating 1800))
and ask them to help me determine what my biggest weaknesses are and
to suggest ways (exercises) to strengthen those areas of chess I am
weakest at. I would also ask them for a time frame when I should
expect the exercises to show some effect. These exercises would be my
immediate plan. [You should generally expect to have to pay for such
assistance, since this could be quite a bit of work for the strong
player.]

As I practiced the exercises, I would continue to play games at
classical time controls and write down my thoughts about the games.
After a few weeks or months (depending on what I was working on) I
would once again take my latest games to the striong player for their
evaluation.

Mike Ogush

Mike Ogush
Old August 1st 03, 02:51 AM
Jim Roe

Here is a simple study plan I am using:

go to Seagaard Chess Reviews and look for the review on Total Chess
Training.
Right now I am studying the French Defence using the Encycopeadia of Opening
blunders.
For many many blunders in this opening the program plays the game up to the
blunder. You are then asked to refute the bad move. Then you can take a test

This program and Chess Assistant 7.1 are my training and learning bibles.
Both are a must for the average player.

"Ivan" wrote in message
om...
How do you create a study plan for chess improvement ?