Old August 3rd 03, 05:09 AM
Douglas L Stewart

Default Ruy Lopez - Exchange Variation

I've been playing 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 forever as White, going back to
my scholastic days. I haven't been very happy with my results lately, so I
figured it's time for something new.

I'm a ~1800 player and I'm just looking for something that will get me a
reasonable middlegame where can try to outplay my opponent.

The obvious alternative seems to be the Ruy Lopez, and to simply how many
lines I need to learn to get started with playing it I figured I'd play the
Exchange Variation at first.

What is the current theoretical thought on the Exchange variation? Any
current GM proponents? After 5. O-O White seems to win as much as in the
closed variation from the win statistics I've seen.

Are there any good books? I couldn't find much on Amazon.

---
Douglas L Stewart

http://www.douglasstewart.com

Old August 3rd 03, 07:31 PM
Douglas L Stewart

I don't want to abandon the plans I have in place for all other responses to
1 e4 besides 1 .. e5 2 Nf3 Nc6. I'm just looking for something new in
double e-pawn games.

The King's gambit seems to require too much memorization, which is the same
reason I'm trying to get away from the Giuoco Piano and the Two Knight's
Defense.

"Kym" wrote in message
1. d4
1. c4
1. Nf3
all come to mind! :-)
Or even 1. e4 e5 2. f4!?

Old August 3rd 03, 11:10 PM
Luis Matos

Douglas L Stewart wrote:

I don't want to abandon the plans I have in place for all other responses to
1 e4 besides 1 .. e5 2 Nf3 Nc6. I'm just looking for something new in
double e-pawn games.

The King's gambit seems to require too much memorization, which is the same
reason I'm trying to get away from the Giuoco Piano and the Two Knight's
Defense.

Try Ruy Lopez.. 3 Bb5.. but don't be afraid of complications. You don't
need to be an expert. Just read the books and enter, without fearing, in
normal closed or open variations. Remember you are White. Black will
have much more problems to attend.

And... please... don't exchange your great Ruy's bishop at 4 Bxc6.

Good luck

Luis

Old August 4th 03, 10:37 PM
Mike Ogush

On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 04:09:53 GMT, "Douglas L Stewart"
wrote:

I've been playing 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 forever as White, going back to
my scholastic days. I haven't been very happy with my results lately, so I
figured it's time for something new.

I'm a ~1800 player and I'm just looking for something that will get me a
reasonable middlegame where can try to outplay my opponent.

The obvious alternative seems to be the Ruy Lopez, and to simply how many
lines I need to learn to get started with playing it I figured I'd play the
Exchange Variation at first.

What is the current theoretical thought on the Exchange variation? Any
current GM proponents? After 5. O-O White seems to win as much as in the
closed variation from the win statistics I've seen.

I don't follow the latest theory on this variation so I don't know
what the current assessment is. My guess is that with all
"reasonable" openings the game should end in a draw with best play.

GMs who have played the echange variation with white multiple times in
the last five years: Fresinet: +0-0=5, Nisipeanu: +3-0=1, Reinderman:
+0-0=5, Rozenthalis: +3-0=4, Zhang Zhong: +3-0=2

Strong GMs who have played it with white in the same time period:
Ivanchuk, Short, Timman [All the games were drawn.]

Are there any good books? I couldn't find much on Amazon.

I only know of several books specifically on the exchange variation:
"The Spanish Exchange" by Andrew Kinsman,
"Winning with the Ruy Lopez Exchange Variation" by Andrew Soltis, &
"Spanish Exchange Variation" by M.Thomas.

You should be able to find reviews of the first book on the web. I
have not seen the second book, but have been warned away from Soltis'
opening books. The last book is mostly analysis of viarations with
little information about typical middlegame plans; it also somewhat
out of date being published in 1980.

You could also check New In Chess Yearbooks, most recently number 66.

For more information on the ideas and plans of this opening I would
check one these overviews of the Ruy Lopez:
"Mastering the Spanish" by King et. al.
"Understanding the Spanish" by Tabot
"Starting Out the Ruy Lopez"

Mike Ogush