Old August 12th 03, 02:05 AM
Fernando

Default cochrane gambit

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Nxe5 d6 4.Nxf6 Kxf6

Historical comment:
I hadn't seen that the King could take the Knight.

Possible continuations:
d4, Bc4+ and Nc3

Most preferable:
5.d4

Anyone daring to admit they are against? (or for)

Best regards,
Fernando

Old August 12th 03, 02:27 AM
Mhoulsby

RTT:

Mr. Uwe Bekemann has a database of Cochrane Gambit games available for download
from:

http://www.geocities.com/bekemann

On the left, click "download", then when the new screen loads, again on the
left click "Gratis-Online-Buch" which leads you to the Cochrane Gambit
database.

Thanks, Uwe :-)
Old August 12th 03, 02:48 AM
Danny Hardesty

"Fernando" wrote in message
1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Nxe5 d6 4.Nxf6 Kxf6

Historical comment:
I hadn't seen that the King could take the Knight.

Possible continuations:
d4, Bc4+ and Nc3

Most preferable:
5.d4

Anyone daring to admit they are against? (or for)

Best regards,
Fernando

Bronstein in his book 200 Open Games comments positively on the Cochrane
Gambit. However, it is almost non-existent at the top levels. Strong
players will be booked on the black side of the Cochrane so think about the
caliber of your opponent before you venture the white side of it.

Danny Hardesty

Old August 12th 03, 09:26 AM
mafergut

"Danny Hardesty" escribió en el mensaje

Bronstein in his book 200 Open Games comments positively on the Cochrane
Gambit. However, it is almost non-existent at the top levels. Strong
players will be booked on the black side of the Cochrane so think about

the
caliber of your opponent before you venture the white side of it.

Certainly it is almost non-existent in GM play, but I can remember Linares
1999, when Veselin Topalov used the Cochrane Gambit against Vladimir Kramnik
and got a draw!!! Well, a draw with white seems not much but Kramnik is a
tough guy to play supposedly unsound openings against him, I bet.

By the way, in ChessWorld.net we have some thematic tournaments devoted to
the Cochrane Gambit. I invite you all to enter and see the games by
yourselves. I'm a fan of this line so I was thinking of starting another
cochrane tourney one of those days. When I do it I'll invite you all in this
ng and we can make some good analysis on this opening. Perhaps we discover
it's not unsound at all. You can find me in the site by the handle of
"mafergut".

Regards,
mafergut

Old August 12th 03, 09:58 AM
mafergut

Here you can find the Cochrane Gambit game I mentioned before, and it's
profusely annotated.
Topalov, after 4... Kxf7 went on with 5. Nc3

Topalov,V (2700) - Kramnik,V (2751) [C42]
XVI Ciudad de Linares 99 Linares ESP (8), 02.03.1999
Result: 1/2-1/2

http://www.chessbaseusa.com/T-NOTES/topa.htm

Regards,
mafergut

Old August 12th 03, 10:51 AM
Fernando

"mafergut" schreef in bericht

[...]

Sounds like a great idea. I've created an account under the nick "Affan".

Before tomorrow I'll post some (self) analysed main lines extracted from a
400 games database.
Here is a rough example where you can put your teeth on.

Best regards,
Fernando

[Event "?"]
[Site "Themapartie"]
[Date "1995.??.??"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Crawford, G."]
[Black "Litterell, B."]
[Result "1-0"]
[ECO "C42"]
[PlyCount "31"]

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nf6
3. Nxe5 d6 4. Nxf7 Kxf7

5. d4 Be7 6. Bc4+ Be6
7. Bxe6+ Kxe6 8. Qf3 Rf8
9. Qb3+ d5 10. Qxb7 Nbd7
11. e5 Nxe5 12. dxe5 Ne4
13. Nd2 Nxd2 14. Bxd2 Rf5
15. f4 Kf7 16. g4
1-0

Old August 12th 03, 11:17 AM
mafergut

I have created a little tournament (5 players all play all).
Information for all people who wants to enter the tournament:

* It's 8 games each player (double round robin, 5 players)
* 40 moves in 10 days
* Petroff's Cochrane Gambit, game starting position is after Nxf7!?
* Site to play: http://www.chessworld.net/
* Register at the site and then message me (mafergut) to be invited to the
tournament
* Serious players only, please. We want to make a good work on the opening.

Fernando (Affan) you are already invited

Regards,
mafergut

Old August 13th 03, 02:39 AM
Oscarancasey

Stephan Bird wrote in message m...
In article ,
says...
When I invited you to the tournament you must have received a message (both
to your site's inbox and to your email account) and you only have to click
on the "accept invitation" link and that's all.
You can access your inbox in My stuff - my messages
Hope this helps and be patient if the enrollment process takes a little
long. We need another 3 players to start the tournament. Till then you can
start preparing the lines you intend to play.
mafergut

Thank you.
btw, Quite a journey to find the created tourney, if you're new.

From the topbar select opponents/join tournament,
scroll down and select second last option to find it.

Best regards,
Fernando

I'll give it a go too, if I may (ID = StephanB)

Tried looking at the "thematics", but couldn't find the tourney there..

Stephan

I think I started Mafergut's interest in this opening when we
discussed a game I was playing on Chessworld.net. My experience is so
little in opening theory that after taking the knight I moved NC6-
definitely a mistake i now know. I won't be joining the tournament
because of the number of games I am playing but will look with
interest at its progress. its the second time I have been surprised by
a knight capture. The first was in a Sicilian when white's knight on
d4 took mine on c6 on move 5. Surprise is a useful factor even in
correspondence style chess, but perhaps it should be less so in that
styleof chess. I certainly wish I had read this thread after my
opponent sacrificed his knight in the Cochrane. Perhaps I would be
defending it better now.

Malcolm
Old August 13th 03, 01:57 PM
Fernando

"xyz" schreef in bericht
Is there a GOOD PGN database on the cochrane on the net?
Thanx!
[email protected]

Via the German chess site you will be forwarded to this site.
http://home.t-online.de/home/Bekemann/sprache.htm

A collected database from several places has been placed on my homepage.
http://home.tiscali.nl/sfictie/schaak/
The quality of those games varies greatly and does not include the first
pgn-files.

Best regards,
Fernando