Old October 5th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis

Default Could Newspaper on-line chess columns use interactive technology?

(Caveat lector:
I have not posted in this group before; usual cautions and complaints
about greenhorns apply.)

As a subscriber to the "New York Times," I find the chess reporting a
disappointment -- not anything the reporter does or fails to do, but
rather the lack of interactive capability on-line.

In particular, instead of having to set up a chess set (perhaps on a
bumpy ride) and hope I don't make an error copying the reported moves,
how about the ability to click ahead (or back) move by move, with the
board diagram updating with each click?
The display of the reporter's analysis also could be tailored for
each move. Play alternatives in the analyis might also have a
click-update capability.

Do any newspapers have interactive chess columns on-line? Has the
idea been discussed? Is the software available, if they were willing
to spend the money?

--Hugo S. Cunningham
http://www.cyberussr.com/
Old October 5th 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis

On 2006-10-05, Hugo S Cunningham wrote:
(Caveat lector:
I have not posted in this group before; usual cautions and complaints
about greenhorns apply.)

As a subscriber to the "New York Times," I find the chess reporting a
disappointment -- not anything the reporter does or fails to do, but
rather the lack of interactive capability on-line.

I much prefer to cut and paste FEN or PGN into xboard (or other
real chess program).

--
Chris F.A. Johnson http://cfaj.freeshell.org
Author: