Old October 15th 06, 08:14 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Default Nomorechess is going to be beaten now!!!

Ha Ha Ha,

There was again a bit of improvement done. Now The GetClub Game now
will give advantage to 2 Bishops than knights. So Nomorechess will face
difficulty winning the games.

Well if he plays with Beginner & Easy levels then he may survive but
if he plays with Normal Level I am sure he has to loose Matches.

Winning 1-2 games is a different story but winning continiously is very
difficult. That only TK, Nomorechess and Bob can do.

Bye
Sanny

Old October 17th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Sanny wrote:
Ha Ha Ha,

There was again a bit of improvement done. Now The GetClub Game now
will give advantage to 2 Bishops than knights. So Nomorechess will face
difficulty winning the games.

Well if he plays with Beginner & Easy levels then he may survive but
if he plays with Normal Level I am sure he has to loose Matches.

Winning 1-2 games is a different story but winning continiously is very
difficult. That only TK, Nomorechess and Bob can do.

I believe it was on Saturday that I went in and ate lunch
at McDonalds, with my notebook computer and their
wireless service. Because I was inside the building, the
connection is faster/better, and I was able to play half a
game against the Normal level. But now I may well be
stuck until next week, since on that level it takes a long
time for the program to make its move, and outside the
building the connection is worse, no real progress is
made. I still do not understand why the program *loses
ground*, even if the internet connection is less than
perfect. Does this happen with all Java applets?

-- help bot

Old October 17th 06, 09:04 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Default Internet Connection not so important.

building the connection is worse, no real progress is
made. I still do not understand why the program *loses
ground*, even if the internet connection is less than
perfect. Does this happen with all Java applets?

Just have a broadband connection, And that is sufficient. I do not
think connection is a big issue. Your Computer need to be fast and you
should not work on 2 programs at a time.

Bye
Sanny

Old October 17th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer

Sanny wrote:
building the connection is worse, no real progress is
made. I still do not understand why the program *loses
ground*, even if the internet connection is less than
perfect. Does this happen with all Java applets?

Just have a broadband connection, And that is sufficient. I do not
think connection is a big issue. Your Computer need to be fast and you
should not work on 2 programs at a time.

Bye
Sanny

Is not that the point of multi-tasking operating systems - you can have
multiple programs running at the same time? At this moment I have a
browser, chess database, chess engine, word processor all running on the
same machine.

BTW Sanny, it would be better if you communicated information to
specific users in email, rather than a newsgroup? Rubbish such as:

"I feel you played with Beginner Level and you were Check Mated in by
Mate in 2 or 3."

"Since your game was not recorded it means you played with Beginner
Level without login."

could all go in private email, not a newsgroup.

I must say, considering what you have is a poor program, you seem to
have a knack of generating a lot of posts.

---

It is always of the form:

http://witm.sourceforge.net/ (Web based Mathematica front end)

Old October 17th 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer

Dave (from the UK) wrote:
Sanny wrote:
Your Computer need to be fast and you should not work on 2 programs
at a time.

Is not that the point of multi-tasking operating systems - you can
have multiple programs running at the same time?

Of course; however, if any of those other programs is using a lot of
CPU, you shouldn't expect the chess applet to run quickly.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Revolting Broken Car (TM): it's
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ like a high-performance luxury car
Old October 17th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer

David Richerby wrote:
Dave (from the UK) wrote:

Of course; however, if any of those other programs is using a lot of
CPU, you shouldn't expect the chess applet to run quickly.

Dave.

There was no mention of two CPU intensive applications, but simply "2
programs at a time."

Most modern PCs spend a lot of their time pretty much idle anyway. Chess
programs are quite untypical in the amount of CPU time they use. So
there should be no technical reason why one should not do some word
processing or browse the web whilst his chess program is running.

I think if Sanny's "team of programmers" were as good at programming as
Sanny is in generating newsgroup posts, the chess world would be a
better place.

--
Dave (from the UK)

Old October 18th 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer
Ron Ron is offline

In article ,
"Dave (from the UK)"
wrote:

Is not that the point of multi-tasking operating systems - you can have
multiple programs running at the same time? At this moment I have a
browser, chess database, chess engine, word processor all running on the
same machine.

Exactly.

Even more to the point, if the program is going to spend half an hour
per move (and yet I only need a few seconds to come up with my reply)
you can't possibly expect me to not do anything else on my computer in
that time.

Another suggestion: Sanny, when the computer resigns, you should have a
screen which makes it clear that's what happened. It was weird to come
back to my computer and have the first screen up again with no result.
Since I had a forced mate, I wasn't surprised ... but even still, that's
clunky programming.

-Ron
Old October 19th 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Default Nomorechess cannot be beaten at GetClub.com

Sanny wrote:

building the connection is worse, no real progress is
made. I still do not understand why the program *loses
ground*, even if the internet connection is less than
perfect. Does this happen with all Java applets?

Just have a broadband connection, And that is sufficient. I do not
think connection is a big issue. Your Computer need to be fast and you
should not work on 2 programs at a time.

Easier said than done. Where I live, there is (as far as
I know) only one available phone company, and this
recommendation of yours to have broadband has already
been tried, to no avail. It may not be too long before I can
get a WiMax connection, but until then I am stuck with
wireless internet access.

The problem I have noted several times now, of the program
losing ground and re-analysing a given ply which was already
completed earlier, appears to be the cause of many of your
complaints here regarding speed of play. It's not just me.

On the other hand, I observe that in most cases, my
current position looks as though it might well have come up
in a game between two random human players, and this is a
good sign. One poster recently complained that the program
failed to play with a plan -- which is absurd. Programs ought
not to have such plans, as they need to emphasise a key
advantage they have over humans: the ability to take a fresh
look at the position after each and every move. This ensures
that any tactical slips by the human opponent can be caught
and punished, and it also helps to compensate for the
horizon effect which plagues chess computers. Far from
taking a "planning" approach (if that can even be done), a
chess computer need only "float like a butterfly, sting like a
bee".

-- help bot

Old October 19th 06, 07:22 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

"help bot" wrote in message
ups.com...

Sanny wrote:

[...]

The game program engine first needs to understand "check", and what moves
are illegal when the King is in check. After one of my previous games was
analyzed to have an illegal move, and then the King was captured, I tried
this quick test game (computer is playing black):

1. f3 e5
2. Kf2 Nc6
3. Ke3 Bc5

4. f4
(illegal move since the White King is in check, but the program allowed it)

... Bxe3 (Bishop takes King and the board resets because it counts as a
win)

I'm not sure if this issue exists in player vs. player, but it's
reproducible when a player plays the computer at the beginner level.
Clearly, the King is being treated as just another piece, and by extension,
the program treats capturing the King as winning the game.