Old October 16th 06, 11:50 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Default Sanny's Chess Program - playable at higher levels?

I've seen a lot of messages concerning Sanny's evolving chess engine,
so I thought I'd give it a go.
The only thing I could play without registering was the lowest level,
so off we went.
First impressions - incredably fun! The computer taunted me in bad
english, whilst wacky sound effects announced each move.
Sadly the computer threw away a peice early into the opening (sanny - I
think you may have over emphasised the importance of pawns on the
central squares. Sure, they're good, but not worth losing a peice
over.)
So I decided to log in and try a higer level. I went for the highest
level, to see what it could do.
It can certainly think a lot! It played the first two moves very
quickly, I assume due to an opening library, then took over two hours
to play each move. I left it thinking while I had dinner, then
switched it off.
My machine is not the highest spec, but it really didn't seem like the
program was making any progress at all.

So to my question - is it playable at higher levels? Is the
second-from-bottom level any better, and how long does a move take?
I'd be willing to give it another go, but not if all I have to do is
leave book on move three and it throws a knight.

Phil.

Old October 16th 06, 02:12 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

So I decided to log in and try a higer level. I went for the highest
level, to see what it could do.
It can certainly think a lot! It played the first two moves very
quickly, I assume due to an opening library, then took over two hours
to play each move. I left it thinking while I had dinner, then
switched it off.

That was a mistake You started with Advance Level.

But Advance level also finishes game in time.

http://www.getclub.com/cc/showgame.php?num=10

See how chrisf played 2 games with Advance Level

Beginner Level 10-30 seconds. (Nice Game)
Easy Level 20-40 seconds (Good Players)
Normal Level 1-2 min (Tough Players)

No need to go to higher Levels. Normal level will beat most of the
Players here.

Master Level & Advance Level (Only Taylor Kingston can Beat Them.)

Bye
Sanny

Old October 16th 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Ron wrote:
1.e4 e6 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.e5 Ne4 4.d3 Nc5 5.d4 Ne4 6.Bd3 d5 7.0-0 Nc6 8.Qe2

The obvious threat is 9. Bxe4 dxe4 10.Qxe4, winning a pawn. How about
8...f5. Now either 9.Bxe4 fxe4 or the more likely 9.exf6(ep) Nxf6
preserve material equality.

Black's still in trouble, of course. He's 2-3 tempos behind in
development, and his king is "protected" by a backward pawn on a
semi-open file.

---
likesforests
Become a Chess Expert -- http://likesforests.blogspot.com/

Old October 16th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis
Ron Ron is offline

In article om,
" wrote:

Ron wrote:
1.e4 e6 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.e5 Ne4 4.d3 Nc5 5.d4 Ne4 6.Bd3 d5 7.0-0 Nc6 8.Qe2

The obvious threat is 9. Bxe4 dxe4 10.Qxe4, winning a pawn. How about
8...f5. Now either 9.Bxe4 fxe4 or the more likely 9.exf6(ep) Nxf6
preserve material equality.

Black's still in trouble, of course. He's 2-3 tempos behind in
development, and his king is "protected" by a backward pawn on a
semi-open file.

The game has continued 8. ... f5 9.ef Nxf6 10.Bf4 Be7 11.c3.

And yes, it's been over an hour since my reset after first playing Qe2.
The computer has made three moves in that time. (I had one medium-length
delay on my end during that time.)

At this point, I have to head out. So the adventure will continue later
today.

-Ron
Old October 16th 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Sanny wrote:
So I decided to log in and try a higer level. I went for the highest
level, to see what it could do.
It can certainly think a lot! It played the first two moves very
quickly, I assume due to an opening library, then took over two hours
to play each move. I left it thinking while I had dinner, then
switched it off.

That was a mistake You started with Advance Level.

But Advance level also finishes game in time.

http://www.getclub.com/cc/showgame.php?num=10

See how chrisf played 2 games with Advance Level

Beginner Level 10-30 seconds. (Nice Game)
Easy Level 20-40 seconds (Good Players)
Normal Level 1-2 min (Tough Players)

No need to go to higher Levels. Normal level will beat most of the
Players here.

Master Level & Advance Level (Only Taylor Kingston can Beat Them.)

A lot of players have beaten the Master level and any other level
whenever they bothered to try (like me for the master level just this
weekend while watching the bundesliga + the two movies after that).

The Master level takes a couple of minutes up to 20-30min per move (most
moves around 10min until the end when it goes down to just a few
minutes) on a 3.2Ghz+1GB RAM machine with nothing much running in the
background, so I guess on older machines it would take proportionally
longer.

Looking at how many players have unbeaten records or two-digit to 1
scores, it is evident that just about anyone who tries wins (if he is
willing to invest the necessary time).

--Björn
Old October 16th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

That was a mistake You started with Advance Level.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to make that clear in the online
instructions

But Advance level also finishes game in time.

Thats not my experience. As an experiment, I left it thinking while I
went out. 6 hours later, its still thinking. My username is Mr_Phil -
go ahead and log in as me and see if it runs any better on your
machine.

Beginner Level 10-30 seconds. (Nice Game)
Easy Level 20-40 seconds (Good Players)
Normal Level 1-2 min (Tough Players)

I would try one of those, but I can't even resign my current game.
Perhaps after you've finished playing with my login, you'll reset my
game so I can try a differnet level. Even better, put a resign button
so you can stop playing if things go on too long

No need to go to higher Levels. Normal level will beat most of the
Players here.

Master Level & Advance Level (Only Taylor Kingston can Beat Them.)

Well, I certainly can't. I don't have several months free to play a
game.

Bye
Sanny

Thanks for your replies.

Phil.

Old October 17th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis
Ron Ron is offline

In article
,
Ron wrote:

Ron wrote:
1.e4 e6 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.e5 Ne4 4.d3 Nc5 5.d4 Ne4 6.Bd3 d5 7.0-0 Nc6 8.Qe2

The game has continued 8. ... f5 9.ef Nxf6 10.Bf4 Be7 11.c3.

Continuing on:

11. ... 0-0 12.Qc2 h6 13.Qd2 Nh5? 14.Bxh6 gxh6 15.Qxh6 Nf6 16.Ng5 Bd7
17.Bh7+ Kh8 18.Bf5+ Kg8 19.Bxe6+ Bxe6 20.Nxe6 Rf7 21.Nxd8 Rxd8 22.Nd2
Rh7 23.Qh4.

Of course, I'm going to have to play this out to mate to get credit for
the win, but I've won the queen and three pawns for two pieces, so it
doesn't feel much like the outcome is in doubt.

-Ron