Old October 17th 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

Default No Substitute For Hardwork

Hi All,

I just started a new blog which is all about chess. I'm trying to grow my
reader base so I would like to invite you to read my latest post. Its about
talent vs. hard work. Please feel free to leave comments, good or bad. I'm
just try to share my thoughts and become a better writer. Hope you keep
coming back.

http://growwithchess.com/2006/10/no-...-hardwork.html

Thank you,
John

Old October 17th 06, 06:09 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

John Evans wrote:
Hi All,

I just started a new blog which is all about chess. I'm trying to grow my
reader base so I would like to invite you to read my latest post. Its about
talent vs. hard work. Please feel free to leave comments, good or bad. I'm
just try to share my thoughts and become a better writer. Hope you keep
coming back.

http://growwithchess.com/2006/10/no-...-hardwork.html

Thank you,
John

Very good article. I really liked the link to the scientific american
article.
The only thing that I would add is that you have to study properly for
10 000
hours.

Old October 18th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

Thats true! Spending 10000 hours on scholars mate wont help much. Thank you
for visiting my site please check back soon for more stuff. If you have
anything you want me to cover just ask.

Thank you again!

John

"Inconnux" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old October 19th 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

John Evans wrote:

The only thing that I would add is that you have to study properly for
10 000 hours.

And you'll still get beaten by the person who had more natural talent and
also studied for 10,000 hours

One idea I found intriguing was the concept that it may matter in what
order one is exposed to ideas, as to how the chess mind is formed.
Old October 20th 06, 09:11 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

I just started a new blog which is all about chess. I'm trying to grow my
reader base so I would like to invite you to read my latest post. Its
about
talent vs. hard work. Please feel free to leave comments, good or bad.
I'm
just try to share my thoughts and become a better writer. Hope you keep
coming back.

http://growwithchess.com/2006/10/no-...-hardwork.html

Thank you,
John

Very good article. I really liked the link to the scientific american
article.
The only thing that I would add is that you have to study properly for
10 000
hours.

That would be five years of full time study (40 hours a week).

More like 30,000 hours is required, preferably consecutively (i.e., 40 hours
a week for 15 years).

--
Money is not "game."
Looks are not "game."

A seduction guru who teaches you that looks, money or status is game is not
teaching you "game," but how to be an AFC. He uses his students' money to
get women and laughs that "AFCs pay my rent."

Old October 20th 06, 10:05 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

Ray Gordon, creator of the "pivot" wrote:
[...]

As if Gordo's in a position to speak intelligently on the matter...

Old October 20th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

Ray Gordon, creator of the "pivot" wrote:
That would be five years of full time study (40 hours a week).

More like 30,000 hours is required, preferably consecutively (i.e., 40 hours
a week for 15 years).

only if people follow your training methods... perhaps
this tells you something about your methods?

Old October 22nd 06, 05:01 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

That would be five years of full time study (40 hours a week).

More like 30,000 hours is required, preferably consecutively (i.e., 40
hours
a week for 15 years).

only if people follow your training methods... perhaps
this tells you something about your methods?

That Fischer (23 years from learning the game to winning the world title)
and Kasparov (17 years) were using the same method?

Oh wait, they were...since they are the ones I modeled my method after.
What you call "my" method is one that's been used by several world
champions.