Old October 17th 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Default Newbie needs help to beat big brother

I generally play with white against my five-year older cousin. Trouble
is, the game goes like this:

1. p-k4 n-kb3
2. n-kb3 p-q3
3. n-qb3 b-kn5
4. p-kr3 b-kr4
5. b-qb4 p-k4
6. O-O n-qb3(or)qn-q2

Thereafter, his knights take over and he is VERY efficient at executing
forks and pins with them. They dominate the middle game alongwith the
bishop(s) and bring me down to the vicinty of my knees. How can I put
an end to this and other similar combinations without losing too many
of my pieces early on?

I would be grateful for some advice. I have lost seven times in a row
now. I am improving, he says, but I sense it is a long time before I
can completely outfox him throughout the game without slipping.

Old October 17th 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

I understand that the people out here are tremendous. I am a wimp,
basically, compared to that. But I hate losing TO BLACK AGAIN AND
AGAIN. Am I offending people???? Or offering laughing stock?

Old October 17th 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

wrote:
I generally play with white against my five-year older cousin. Trouble
is, the game goes like this:

1. p-k4 n-kb3
2. n-kb3 p-q3
3. n-qb3 b-kn5
4. p-kr3 b-kr4
5. b-qb4 p-k4
6. O-O n-qb3(or)qn-q2

I began writing a long message critiquing your opening strategy, but
honestly, that's not what you need most at this point.

1.P-K4 N-KB3
2.N-KB3

Stop here. You hung a pawn. He didn't notice!

Focus on (a) your though process--each turn, consider every check and
capture so you can avoid blunders, (b) study basic tactics: forks,
pins, and skewes.

A couple good tools for this are Winning Chess Tactics book by
Seirawan, and the Chessmaster 10th Edition software by Ubisoft.

By the way, don't feel too bad--Bobby Fischer made the same mistake in
1964, later went on to become World Champion!

Thereafter, his knights take over and he is VERY efficient at executing
forks and pins with them.

I knight can't pin. I'm suspecting that was his bishop.

They dominate the middle game alongwith the
bishop(s) and bring me down to the vicinty of my knees.

Yup. Those wily bishops!

How can I put an end to this and other similar combinations without
losing too many of my pieces early on?

There's no silver bullet, but this phase passes rather quickly.

I would be grateful for some advice. I have lost seven times in a row
now. I am improving, he says, but I sense it is a long time before I
can completely outfox him throughout the game without slipping.

He's not so good since he missed your hanging pawn. I suspsect you'll
be winning games within two weeks if you study what I mentioned above
and play some practice games.

By the way, try to use algebraic notation. Eg, 1.e4 Nf6. It's the
standard now in chess, and more people will be able to read your posts.

---
likesforests
Become a Chess Expert --
http://likesforests.blogspot.com/

Old October 17th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis
Ron Ron is offline

In article . com,
wrote:

I generally play with white against my five-year older cousin. Trouble
is, the game goes like this:

1. p-k4 n-kb3
2. n-kb3 p-q3
3. n-qb3 b-kn5
4. p-kr3 b-kr4
5. b-qb4 p-k4
6. O-O n-qb3(or)qn-q2

Thereafter, his knights take over and he is VERY efficient at executing
forks and pins with them. They dominate the middle game alongwith the
bishop(s) and bring me down to the vicinty of my knees. How can I put
an end to this and other similar combinations without losing too many
of my pieces early on?

Well, why do you always play the same way?

Why not 2.p-q3 and 3.B-KN5, following up with N-QB3 and N-Q5?

In other words, if a tactic is giving you trouble, why don't you try to
use it for yourself?

You have to think in chess. If you know he's going to bring on his queen
knight on his sixth move, why castle into if on your sixth? Why not play
6.P-n4, planning to castle queenside?

You have to think in chess. Of course, neither of you is thinking very
much here - why not 2.P-k5! - ? Or, since you play so blindly, why not 2
.. ... Nxp?

You have to be smarter than this. You don't play chess by rote. Pinning
the enemy king knight before he's castled is generally considered a
mistake because you can break the pin, gaining space and time, with p-r3
and p-n4. (This is dangerous once you've castled there because various
sacrificial ideas show up. But those are irrelevant in the current
position.)

-Ron
Old October 18th 06, 03:11 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

I used to lose to my older brother all of the time

Until about 9 or 10 years ago I started reading books.

I started with Chess for Dummies and moved on the Yasser Seriwan's
Winning chess series

It got to the point that he told me I ruined the game with my stupid
books... very funny

What I didn't know then is that many of these books (winning chess
included) have pgn games from the books online so you don't even need
to setup the board.

however.... all of the begginer and intermedate info you need is inside
Chessmaster 10th Edition... get that, run the tutorials and play the
drills.... you will improve fast...

Also try playing slow games... The best kind are coorespondence since
you can take a month to make sure you didn't make a bonehead move

I play on www.redhotpawn.com and I love it... all skill levels there...
for live online chess try www.freechess.org , just register and
download the Babas interface

On Oct 17, 5:42 pm, Ron wrote:
In article . com,

Old October 18th 06, 11:40 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Default Practise Chess at GetClub.com

I generally play with white against my five-year older cousin. Trouble
is, the game goes like this:

1. p-k4 n-kb3
2. n-kb3 p-q3
3. n-qb3 b-kn5
4. p-kr3 b-kr4
5. b-qb4 p-k4
6. O-O n-qb3(or)qn-q2

Practise a few Games at GetClub Chess Beginner Level.

Practise Chess at: http://www.GetClub.com/Chess.html

If you are able to beat it's beginner level then you will be able to
beat your brother.

Bye
Sanny

Old October 24th 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

I generally play with white against my five-year older cousin. Trouble
is, the game goes like this:

1. p-k4

1. e4 is stronger.

--
Money is not "game."
Looks are not "game."

A seduction guru who teaches you that looks, money or status is game is not
teaching you "game," but how to be an AFC. He uses his students' money to
get women and laughs that "AFCs pay my rent."

Old October 24th 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

En/na Ray Gordon, creator of the "pivot" ha escrit:
I generally play with white against my five-year older cousin. Trouble
is, the game goes like this:

1. p-k4

1. e4 is stronger.

I don't agree

1.e4 and 1.P-K4 are aprox equal (as 1.P4K)

AT

Old October 27th 06, 01:16 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Ray Gordon, creator of the \"pivot\" wrote:
I generally play with white against my five-year older cousin. Trouble
is, the game goes like this:

1. p-k4

1. e4 is stronger.

You shouldn't be so dismissive of the old-fashioned moves! :-)

Dave.

--
David Richerby Disgusting Cat (TM): it's like
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ a cuddly pet but it'll turn your