Old October 21st 06, 12:50 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Default A Vladimirov chess problem

I have been studying the Vladimirov theme since I was stuck by its
beauty.
I have spent some hours (and more hours) and I could finally prepare
the following compostion:

r2b4/8/1QNP4/p1R2P1p/3PB1R1/3PkPP1/nBP3P1/4K3

Try: 1. d5? But 1. ... Bf6! (unique refutation)
Try: 1. Bd5? But 1. ... hxg4! (unique refutation)
Key1. Re5! (unique)
1. ... hxg4 2. Bd5# (unique mate)
1. ... Bf6 2. d5# (unique mate)

The key pieces are the same as those in diagram 7 in the following
review article: http://www.matplus.org.yu/VLADI.HTM
although the dressing is different and some avoidance mechanisms are
somehow unrelated.

Could you please be so kind as to comment on what aspects can be
perhaps considered an improvement and on what aspects it is surely
worse?
Thank you very much in advance.

My booklet "Chess Pellets" containing my first ever ten compostions is
ready and I will be pleased to send it by email upon request.

Josť Potrosal

Old October 21st 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis
Bob Bob is offline

wrote:

I have been studying the Vladimirov theme since I was stuck by its
beauty.
I have spent some hours (and more hours) and I could finally prepare
the following compostion:

r2b4/8/1QNP4/p1R2P1p/3PB1R1/3PkPP1/nBP3P1/4K3

had to modify your FEN slightly to paste into my computer playing
program.

r2b4/8/1QNP4/p1R2P1p/3PB1R1/3PkPP1/nBP3P1/4K3 w -- 0 1
White to mate in two.

Try: 1. d5? But 1. ... Bf6! (unique refutation)
Try: 1. Bd5? But 1. ... hxg4! (unique refutation)

Try: 1: Ne5? But 1. ... Nc3 (Unique? after 2. Nc4+ Kxd4)

Key1. Re5! (unique)
1. ... hxg4 2. Bd5# (unique mate)
1. ... Bf6 2. d5# (unique mate)

The key pieces are the same as those in diagram 7 in the following
review article:
http://www.matplus.org.yu/VLADI.HTM
although the dressing is different and some avoidance mechanisms are
somehow unrelated.

Could you please be so kind as to comment on what aspects can be
perhaps considered an improvement and on what aspects it is surely
worse?
Thank you very much in advance.

Problem composition is not in my skill set. So I have a great
appreciation for those that can do it!
Afraid I can offer little in constructive help, but I think your
composition is excellent.

My booklet "Chess Pellets" containing my first ever ten compostions is
ready and I will be pleased to send it by email upon request.

Josť Potrosal

Looking forward to it. Keep up the good work.

Bob

Old October 21st 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Thanks for your kind answer Bob.

Try: 1: Ne5? But 1. ... Nc3 (Unique? after 2. Nc4+ Kxd4)

I am not sure what you mean. There is only one refutation to Ne5, 1.
.... Nc3. You are right.

I mail you my booklet. Feedback is apreciated.
JP

Old October 21st 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

You definitely fulfilled the theme. Just to make sure, I ran the
problem through WinChloe, which is an excellent program that recognizes
many themes, and it also recognized your Vladimirov.

What is the point of Black pawn a5? I couldn't tell immediately, but I
didn't look close either.

Good work again. Keep it up, and you will continue to improve. Again,
you have progressed in a few weeks to a level it took me a year to get
to. Someday, I may be asking you for advice on composition!

Old October 21st 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Thank you very much again. We both know that I wouldn't be doing this
hadn't it been for your incredible ability to encourage me.

For a while I was afraid I had fallen in frustation, the Vladimirov has
been tough. But now I know I can, ideas and new patterns keep coming to
my mind (the problem now is that I also dream them!). What's next? I am
lost in this jungle....

What is the point of Black pawn a5? I couldn't tell immediately, but I
didn't look close either.

Very observative. At the last moment I had also forgotten why it was
there and I almost posted the position without it. I think this is a
drawback of the position, since it is only there for theme purity.

Without the black pawn at a5 try d5 (thematic) and then there are two
refutations 1. ... Bf6(thematic) and Ra4 (spoils the theme).

Are you sure you don't want my booklet? Your name is there...

Old October 21st 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

wrote:

Are you sure you don't want my booklet? Your name is there...

I certainly do! I sent you my real email address because I am sure I
will enjoy it.