Old October 24th 06, 05:46 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Default R + B&R pawn vs R

The ending should be theoretically drawn AFAIK.
I had this ending last night (litteraly) in a team match. At the result
4?-4? with only my game still going:

8/7R/5k2/3r4/7P/5PK1/8/8 w - -

As I am moving I have all my chess books in boxes, so am looking for
online material to cover this ending for our junior players Wednesday.
Anyone with good online resources (or other comments) on this ending?

Martin S

Old October 24th 06, 07:06 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Go to:

http://www.k4it.de/index.php?topic=egtb&lang=en

and input your FEN. It will show it as a draw, and you can follow all
possible moves by both sides to show how it is drawn.

Old October 24th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

In article .com,
says...

Go to:

http://www.k4it.de/index.php?topic=egtb&lang=en

and input your FEN. It will show it as a draw, and you can follow all
possible moves by both sides to show how it is drawn.

Ah, I was looking for that link.
So that's a draw then. I just wondered what the principles in the
position are. I've got Dvoretsky in one of the many, many, MANY, boxes
of books around here.

Martin S

Old October 25th 06, 03:11 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

I think that is the hardest ending to teach in terms of general
principles, to say nothing of the fact that when the stronger player
has the Ps, he can try to fashion many winning attempts that are hard
to see. I've seen players fall apart after defending it for 30 moves or
so, from sheer exhaustion.

Old October 25th 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Martin S wrote:
Tell me about it
I had the pawns the other day in a team match with 90/30 time control.
It's hell trying to device some winning scheme when your time is
constantly running out

After 35 (including a few 2-move repetition to gain some time) moves we
agreed to a draw. First time I've actually battle the FIDE time control,
and it didn't have to be this ending, did it?

Again, you are correct and have hit on one of my pet peeves, the
current idea that making chess adhere to such an inhumane time control
somehow makes it more exciting or interesting. Don't get me wrong, 30
minute games, 1 hour games, and so on are fine, so long as one views
them in their proper perspective, but the lack of classic time controls
has simply led to bad endings being played.

I actually saw one guy with the extra pawns lose in a short time
control game because he didn't know the ending and got his own king
trapped, when he had to give up his rook and lose. Even the victor
found that game disgusting. Who cares if you play the opening like a GM
if you play the ending like a 900?