Old October 25th 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

Default The Cat in the Hat at World Open

I read an article in Chess Life about cheating going on at chess
tournaments.
What I don't understand is how the guy was cheating. I understand that
he played like a strong computer against Smirin and then suddenly
stopped playing well in future rounds.
But what I don't understand is how he did it? You can't just put a
computer in a hat and also how
do enter the moves and get the moves back without your opponent
noticing? If you were going to the bathroom multiple times then it is
obvious.

Also I was wondering how the other guy with the big sweater cheated.
If he had an earpiece, doesn't that mean someone was helping him out as
well? I think these two instances might have required teamwork. I am
just a class player at chess so I don't know what goes on in open
tournaments but I was wondering how it is actually done.

Old October 25th 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

On 25 Oct 2006 15:27:01 -0700, "Zero" wrote:

[...]

Your suggestion of an accomplice seems simplest. It's certainly
easier if data has to be electronically transmitted in only one
direction -- bypasses the problem of data entry.

For example, an accomplice wanders by, observes the game, goes out and
"Fritzes" the critical position (or even every move at slow time
controls), sends the suggestion via headphone. Could be somebody with
binoculars who can see the board, even from across the street if the
room has big windows. With thousands of bucks at stake, a team of
cheats is probably pretty easy to assemble.