Old October 27th 06, 10:59 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Default Tough Competition at GetClub Chess by new Players.

Two new Players at GetClub Chess are giving Tough Competition and will
win this months Prize no doubt.

Playing at: http://www.GetClub.com/Chess.html

Here is the Scores for this month. With Numer of Wins with different
Levels

Chrisf : Points Awarded 49.9, He may win $5.00 this month.
Beginner:3 Easy:0 Normal:8 Master:8 Advance:3

Zebediah : Points Awarded 41, He may win $2.00 this month.
Beginner:0 Easy:1 Normal:2 Master:12 Advance:0

Nomorechess : Points Awarded 24.1, He may win $1.00 this month.
Beginner:7 Easy:7 Normal:6 Master:1 Advance:0

Once can see Nomorechess Mostly playes with Lower Level, But he plays
lots of games to reach the Top.

Chrisf is only player which has beaten Advance Level other than Bobby
Pfusher. It takes 1 hour per move I do not understand how he finished
such games.

Zebediah has won most of the Games and may come in TOP 3 in 2-3 months.

Bye
Sanny

Old October 27th 06, 01:20 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

In rec.games.chess.computer Sanny wrote:
Two new Players at GetClub Chess are giving Tough Competition and will
win this months Prize no doubt.

$5, $2 and $1 prizes? Really?

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Old October 27th 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" $5, $2 and $1 prizes? Really?

Gee, how much are you putting up? Zero? Maybe you should put up a $1000
chess challenge against Sam Sloan? The last guy that did that got stomped
and lost his money too.

Old October 27th 06, 08:52 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

In rec.games.chess.computer Smegma Bin Cummin wrote:
"Thomas T. Veldhouse" $5, $2 and $1 prizes? Really?

Gee, how much are you putting up? Zero? Maybe you should put up a $1000
chess challenge against Sam Sloan? The last guy that did that got stomped
and lost his money too.

I guess my point is that it isn't much of a reward. The value itself isn't
there. However, consider the sttourney tournaments on ICC. You get a free
month of service when you win. Now, that has greater value in the sense that
you had fun playing and you received extended privileges. In fact, it's
monetary value is stil only about $5.

So, my point is that $1, $2 and $5 is more of a hassle to collect and has
little value. Sanny has been rather obnoxious in this forum up until now, and
my post reflects that as well.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Old October 28th 06, 09:21 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
In rec.games.chess.computer Smegma Bin Cummin wrote:
"Thomas T. Veldhouse" $5, $2 and $1 prizes? Really?

Gee, how much are you putting up? Zero? Maybe you should put up a $1000
chess challenge against Sam Sloan? The last guy that did that got stomped
and lost his money too.

Who lost his $1,000 to Sam Sloan?

I guess my point is that it isn't much of a reward. The value itself isn't
there. However, consider the sttourney tournaments on ICC. You get a free
month of service when you win. Now, that has greater value in the sense that
you had fun playing and you received extended privileges. In fact, it's
monetary value is stil only about $5.

So, my point is that $1, $2 and $5 is more of a hassle to collect and has
little value. Sanny has been rather obnoxious in this forum up until now, and
my post reflects that as well.

Sanny's prizes are not any hassle to collect; they are
awarded automatically and all you do is log on and see
that your remaining free games number has increased.
Clearly, in order to know this one would have to have at
some time actually won such a prize. ;D

I enjoy bashing Sanny's program because, much like
a typical human player, it plays decent-looking moves
but every now and then overlooks some "petite
combination", as Capablanca would say. My beef is
not with Sanny's boasting here, nor really with the
slowness of the program, but with the retro-analysis
problem whereby the program repeatedly reverts back
to a search-depth it already completed. This slows
things down to a crawl; in fact, many of my games at
the lower levels take longer than the "one hour per
move" which Sanny recently mentioned with regard
to the Advance level someone else is beating up on.
Once I get back into shape chesswise, I will be flying
to Manilla to play Mr. Sloan for $1 million -- winner take
all. After thrashing him, I plan to play Gordy for $2
million in Vegas (a bullet chess match). Then off to
Iceland for the real challenge.

-- help bot

Old October 28th 06, 11:26 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

I enjoy bashing Sanny's program because, much like
a typical human player, it plays decent-looking moves
but every now and then overlooks some "petite
combination", as Capablanca would say. My beef is
not with Sanny's boasting here, nor really with the
slowness of the program,

There are in fact hundreds, or perhaps even thousands of chess programms
written, and available via internet. Lots of them have ratings of over 2000
elo as well, but also starters of 1300.
If all of the authors would plug their produce in the spammers-like fashion
Sanny does, trying to make money (where they in fact make it available for
free, + you learn a lot more. I'll show you if u want; you really don't have
to pay!!!!!), you would talk differently, I'm sure.

Old October 28th 06, 08:56 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

"Ruud Heuvelman" If all of the authors would plug their produce in the
spammers-like fashion Sanny does, trying to make money (where they in fact
make it available for free, + you learn a lot more. I'll show you if u
want;

I thought Sanny was TOTALLY FREE? I guess not? What are the best FREE Chess
websites/programs that are on the internet?

Old October 28th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

"Smegma Bin Cummin" schreef in bericht
. ..
"Ruud Heuvelman" If all of the authors would plug their produce in the
spammers-like fashion Sanny does, trying to make money (where they in fact
make it available for free, + you learn a lot more. I'll show you if u
want;

I thought Sanny was TOTALLY FREE? I guess not? What are the best FREE
Chess
websites/programs that are on the internet?

To play totally free:
Platform on which to play:
Arena: http://www.playwitharena.com/ (choose Arena-downloads and save the
download)

Engines with which to play:
http://www.uciengines.de/UCI-Engines/uci-engines.html (check Toga,
Gambitfruit, Rybka, Spike, Glaurung, Naum as the best)
or: http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl/html/enginesindex.htm
or: http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl/html/newspage.htm
or: http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl/html/lastupdates.htm
or: http://www.rybkachess.com/index.php?...=Download+demo (free Rybka
1.0, better than most commercial engines)

Rating lists: http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl/html/BayesianElo_ed12.htm

You don't have to play for free games, cause all your games are free to
begin with. GM-level, or engines of modest rating, etc..
(How about this for a plug.;-)).
Greetings from Ruud.

Old October 30th 06, 07:01 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Ruud Heuvelman wrote:
I enjoy bashing Sanny's program because, much like
a typical human player, it plays decent-looking moves
but every now and then overlooks some "petite
combination", as Capablanca would say. My beef is
not with Sanny's boasting here, nor really with the
slowness of the program,

There are in fact hundreds, or perhaps even thousands of chess programms
written, and available via internet. Lots of them have ratings of over 2000
elo as well, but also starters of 1300.
If all of the authors would plug their produce in the spammers-like fashion
Sanny does, trying to make money (where they in fact make it available for
free, + you learn a lot more. I'll show you if u want; you really don't have
to pay!!!!!), you would talk differently, I'm sure.

Right. And if you are in a crowded elevator and
all of its occupants were to fart at the same moment,
they would all be guilty of conspiracy to commit
murder (by poison gas)! This is why I always use the
stairs.

----------

What you consider spam might well be considered
marketing by others, like Sanny. I am quite aware
of the fact that my games and Sanny's amatuerish
chess program are not "world class", and may well be
seen as cluttering up rgc by some, while others may
find them amusing -- just as with a multitude of other
posters' comments, some of which relate to very
specific agendas. This focus upon the rating or
strength of Sanny's program overlooks the fact that
not everyone wants a sparring partner, so to speak,
which can win every game via brute force. To me,
this focus has but one evident motive: ad hominem.
Sanny's many exaggerations (yes, I am being overly
kind here) ought not to stress you so much that you
feel obligated to assasinate him. Rather, you need
merely take note of this tendency and all the more
carefully scrutinize any successive claims on his part,
dismissing those whuch are not backed up by facts.

--------

Let's have a quick look at one of the most-mentioned
competitors: Jester. After reading several postings in
which Jester was highly praised here, I went and had a
look. Sure enough, it was *much* faster, and appeared
to be immune to many of the problems which plague
Sanny's program. Yet I found the chess board itself to
be a serious issue in that it was too small, and perhaps
the men were more difficult to distinguish -- the pawns
being oversized, for example. In sum, much stronger
but far from ideal for me, since I do not visualize in my
head so much as by staring at the screen and trying
(without great sucess) to magine the men moving on
the graphic board.
Another issue entirely is the idea that when facing an
opponent which "sees" everything, it tends to kill off
one's hopes of winning, and an occasional draw brings
me no great excitement either. What's my goal
supposed to be -- hang on for thirty-five moves before
going down for the count? Not a very lofty goal. Maybe
a quality chess program is so strong these days that its
great strength is also its greatest weakness? Or maybe
my problem is that when playing such a machine, I feel
as though I am probing for tiny programming errors, as
opposed to having a contest of ideas.

-- help bot

Old October 30th 06, 10:45 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

"help bot" wrote in message
ps.com...

Ruud Heuvelman wrote:
[...]

Pretty sure it would be caused by spam. ;-)

[...]

I have never, nor will ever put down on other peoples achievements,
especially in computer-programming (I know too little about it to justify
it).
I've never put down Sanny's work. I've played his game once, won easy and
said so in my comments, adding that the programm had some faults, according
to chess-rules.
The point is, that where it's about the chess-game, there are many negative
posts, because it doesnt' live up to the expectations, raised by the author,
and the author doesn't respond to those posts.
The counterpart only being, that 'Sanny is a nice person', as if that
matters.
When I look at the communications that are going on (and not at the
chessgame), I must feel amused, only because I don't want to get irritated.
And that is annoying in itself.