Old October 29th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

Default help with analysis

I just put up four of my games on my web site. If you guys have time can you
look at this very small sample and tell me what you think.
http://growwithchess.com/chess_viewer/chess_viewer.html

--
Thanks,
John

Old October 30th 06, 08:56 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
Ron Ron is offline

In article ,
"John Evans" wrote:

I just put up four of my games on my web site. If you guys have time can you
look at this very small sample and tell me what you think.
http://growwithchess.com/chess_viewer/chess_viewer.html

One thing I noticed (although personally, I'd much prefer it if you
pasted PGN to a post rather than used the java player - it'd make it
easier for me to go over your games and explore variations) is that your
opening play is very passive. You're playing by rote.

In game one:

1. e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Nc3 d6 (Nf6 is stronger) 5.h3? a6? (Bb5
isn't a meaningful threat, and if he wants to try to win the bishop via
Na5, you don't mind) 6.d3 h6? (the pin is nothing to be afraid of
because you haven't castled yet) 7.0-0 Nf6 8.a3? 0-0 (worth considering
was delaying castling and attacking on the kingside with ...g5 and g4.)

In game two:

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.0-0?! (c3, b4, or d4 are all better moves
by far) d6 5.d3 h6? 6.a3? (again, you're defending against nonexistent
threats) Be6 7.Bb5?!

In game 3:

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nf6 4.Nc3?! very unambitious. Both 4.Bg4 and
4.d4 present black with real challenges.

And game four just reveals your lack of knowledge of basic 1.d4 d5
opening fundamentals.

If you can find a copy, I think you'll definitely benefit from reading
Reti's "Master's of the Chessboard." You need to spend a few weeks
playing through annotated master games in the giuoco piano, to learn how
it can be a potent attacking weapon.

You play very rotely, constantly afraid of your opponents moves even
though they aren't really that dangerous. You need to play through the
games of Morphy, Steinitz, and Lasker to see how they injected dynamism
into their play.
Old October 30th 06, 01:07 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

[ Cross-post trimmed. This thread has nothing to do with computer
chess or chess politics. ]

Ron wrote:
"John Evans" wrote:
http://growwithchess.com/chess_viewer/chess_viewer.html

1. e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Nc3 d6 (Nf6 is stronger) 5.h3? a6? (Bb5
isn't a meaningful threat, and if he wants to try to win the bishop via
Na5, you don't mind) 6.d3 h6? (the pin is nothing to be afraid of
because you haven't castled yet)

To be specific, you can safely play 6... Nf6 because, if 7.Bg4?! then
7... h6 and either White retreats the bishop back towards c1 or 8.Bh4
g5 9.Bg3. If you had castled kingside, your king would now be very
weak but you haven't castled so you can play O-O-O a little later.

John, I'd recommend you start by running your games through a
computer. For time time being, ignore any computer suggestions that
improve the evaluation by less than a whole pawn and pay attention to
the tactical mistakes that actually cost you material, could have cost
you material if your opponent had exploited your error, or could have
cost your opponent material if you'd exploited his error. Then, I'd
recommend doing lots of practice with tactics puzzles.

Some examples of tactical errors. Against Carson, you miss 23... Rg8,
winning queen for rook. Kammerdiner's 17... Bxh3 looks unsound to me:
18.gxh3 Qxh3 19.Nf3 (not 19.Ng2? Ng4 20.Rf3 Qh2+ 21.Kf1 Qh1+ 22.Ke2
Qxg2+) 19... Ng4 20.Qe2 and Black has only two pawns for his piece.
Sure, your king's a bit breezy but he has only queen and knight to
attack with and you have your king, queen, knight and rook in the area
to defend with so you should be safe. The open files againt your
opponent's king should be useful for you: open files are made for the
attack!

Another worthwhile thing would be to learn some basics of pawn
endings. I suspect the ending against Carson was lost for you anyway
but you didn't put up much resistance. Kammerdiner should never have
agreed a draw with you as, after 51... Ka5! you have no useful moves:

a) 52.b3 a3! 53.Kc2 {only move} Kb4 54.Kb1 Kxb3 and Black eats all
your pawns;
b) 52.Kd2 Kb4! 53.Kc2 Kc4 54.Kd2 Kxd4 with the same effect
c) 52.Kc2 Kb4! 53.Kd2 {Otherwise, Kc4 wins the d-pawn} Kb3 54.Kc1
Kc4 ditto
d) 52.Kd3 Kb4! 53.Kd2 Kb3 as before.

So, congratulations if you offered the draw. :-)

I hope you find that useful.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Laptop Spoon (TM): it's like a
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ piece of cutlery that you can put on
Old October 30th 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

Ron wrote:
In article ,
"John Evans" wrote:

I just put up four of my games on my web site. If you guys have time can you
look at this very small sample and tell me what you think.
http://growwithchess.com/chess_viewer/chess_viewer.html

One thing I noticed (although personally, I'd much prefer it if you
pasted PGN to a post rather than used the java player - it'd make it
easier for me to go over your games and explore variations) is that your
opening play is very passive. You're playing by rote.

You can actually get at his PGN file. Whilst I know this is not what you
should need to do, but if you look at the source code for that page
(which has *tons* of unnecessary stuff in it), the location of the PGN
is given as :

my_games/my_games.pgn

so the URL is

http://growwithchess.com/chess_viewe...s/my_games.pgn

--
Dave (from the UK)

It is always of the form:

http://witm.sourceforge.net/ (Web based Mathematica front end)

Old October 30th 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

John Evans wrote:
I just put up four of my games on my web site. If you guys have time can you
look at this very small sample and tell me what you think.
http://growwithchess.com/chess_viewer/chess_viewer.html

--
Thanks,
John
http://growwithchess.com/

My quick observation was that in Game 1 11...Nh5 seemed out of place.
Perhaps 11...d5 was called for, especially given your pawn structure in
the center...

http://chess-training.blogspot.com

Old November 1st 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

Thanks, for the help! Those suggestions were great. I absolutely agree with
your analysis of my play. I get so nervous at tournaments I play scared. I
know I'm doing it and can't stop. It's my biggest hurdle.

I'm also going to post my games in pgn.

--
Thanks,
John

Old November 1st 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

I used a site builder for my site so I've been trying to clean it up. Thanks
for visiting.

--
Thanks,
John
wrote in message ...

Old November 1st 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

Thanks, for the help.

--
Thanks,
John
wrote in message
oups.com...

Old November 1st 06, 08:51 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

En/na Dave (from the UK) ha escrit:
In article ,
"John Evans" wrote:

I just put up four of my games on my web site. If you guys have time
can you look at this very small sample and tell me what you think.
http://growwithchess.com/chess_viewer/chess_viewer.html

so the URL is
http://growwithchess.com/chess_viewe...s/my_games.pgn

Hello John,

Some comments to your games:

- It seems to me that there were some little waste of time by both
players (like h3, ...h6, ...) but that's not a great problem.

- There are sme tactical mistakes but all us have tactical mistakes. I
do not see you play worse middlegames than medium player.

- But in endgame play I cam see many mistakes, being some of them in
very known positions. Maybe you should try to analyze those games for
yourself (better than engine analysis) trying to see what were those
mistakes. In 4th game there were not so many mistakes (actually white
played poorly), but in first 3 there are many iunteresting moments.
Later you can post here those analysis and some of us can try to check
the correctness of those analysis suggesting other improvements.

Antonio