Old November 12th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

Default Playing Scared

I've been spending alot of time trying to pinpoint where I can improve my
approach to the game. I'm not talking about just learning another line or
variation, but I am talking about a change in my psychological approach. At
my level confidence sames to be the biggest obstacle. Read this and let me
know what you think.

http://growwithchess.com/2006/11/dont-play-scared.html

--
Thanks,
John

Old November 13th 06, 05:10 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

John Evans wrote:
I've been spending alot of time trying to pinpoint where I can improve my
approach to the game. I'm not talking about just learning another line or
variation, but I am talking about a change in my psychological approach. At
my level confidence sames to be the biggest obstacle. Read this and let me
know what you think.

http://growwithchess.com/2006/11/dont-play-scared.html

--
Thanks,
John
http://growwithchess.com/

If you're scared, go to church. Chicken ain't nuttin' but a bird.

Old November 13th 06, 05:20 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

John Evans wrote:
I've been spending alot of time trying to pinpoint where I can improve my
approach to the game. I'm not talking about just learning another line or
variation, but I am talking about a change in my psychological approach. At
my level confidence sames to be the biggest obstacle. Read this and let me
know what you think.

http://growwithchess.com/2006/11/dont-play-scared.html

--
Thanks,
John
http://growwithchess.com/

I would definately agree that agressively studying tactics helps.
I was playing someone yesterday who was
much higher rated than I was and
failed to recognize a simple won endgame because I was
defineately stuck on the idea that I wanted a draw... just a
mindset that I hope to get over ... and soon

Old November 13th 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

John Evans wrote:
I've been spending alot of time trying to pinpoint where I can improve my
approach to the game. I'm not talking about just learning another line or
variation, but I am talking about a change in my psychological approach. At
my level confidence sames to be the biggest obstacle. Read this and let me
know what you think.

http://growwithchess.com/2006/11/dont-play-scared.html

--
Thanks,
John
http://growwithchess.com/

First, you are playing scared becasue you have a lack of chess
understanding in parts of your game - probably all of them. Do you
freak out in the opening of your opponent does not play the 'book'
moves?

And I would disagree with this statement: "I hate being strangled by my
opponent and if I am going to lose I want to go down swinging. The best
way to avoid this style is to study tactics".

The study of tactics is one aspect of chess. Anyone can create tactical
threats during a game, but you want to play moves that are consistent
and have a coherency with a given plan that the position calls for. It
makes no sense to attack an unprotected pawn if when protecting that
pawn, you help your opponent improve his position. That would be
categorized as 'wasting a move'.

I would say that you play scared primarily because you play chess
without an active, viable plan in place during your games. You would
benefit the most by reading something like Ludek Pachman's "Modern
Chess Strategy" or Watson's "Secrets of Modern Chess Strategy" COVER TO
COVER TWICE. Your lack of a plan is precisely why you 'waste moves'
during your games. And remember, a plan is only as good as the next
move, so always be on the alert to change your plan, ESPECIALLY after
pawn moves that change the structure of the pawns.

If you want some help, read this blog:
http://chess-training.blogspot.com from the beginnning.

Old November 13th 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
Ron Ron is offline

In article om,
" wrote:

http://growwithchess.com/2006/11/dont-play-scared.html

What this article misses is that playing without fear isn't just about
playing aggressively. It means trusting your calculations and
evaluations.

Sometimes it means playing defensively - eg, accepting a sacrifice you
believe to be unsound, even though the position is complicated.

-Ron
Old November 13th 06, 08:03 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Playing Chess is a balance of Tactics and strategy. It is very satisfying
to win a game with some brilliancy or other but generally the brilliancy
arises from a long term strategy and an opponents inability to see it and
reply. The advice given particularly the reading seems pretty good to me.

One thing you might consider is to look at how a decent computer program
plays. If you can aset the ply depth (half moves) on the computer analysis
you can then look at how it improves its game as it looks further into the
position (more ply) At a very few ply it will be looking tactically in the
sence that to win it needs a quick comboination. If you can plan deeper
than the computer you will win. (Which is one of the reasons I don't play
computers - they can see strategically further than I can) Set it to
unlimited and it will be playing rather more strategically. It appears to
have a plan....

Old November 14th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

Before I started parrticipating in this news group I thought news groups
were dead, but I'm so glad I was wrong. You guys are helping me so much. I
had no idea what books to get or even how to study, but you guys are helping
me with all of that.

Thank You All!

--
Thanks,