Old December 3rd 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

Default Help with Game Analysis

Can you guys look at this game. This is my second attempt at an analysis of
one of my games.

http://growwithchess.com/chess_train...-analysis.html

--
Thanks,
John

Old December 3rd 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

En/na John Evans ha escrit:
Can you guys look at this game. This is my second attempt at an analysis of
one of my games.

http://growwithchess.com/chess_train...-analysis.html

Let me copy the game he

[Event "GCS"]
[Site "GCS"]
[Date "2006.11.26"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Excalibur2"]
[Black "PapaDragon"]
[Result "1-0"]
[ECO "D20"]
[WhiteElo "1930"]
[BlackElo "1696"]
[Annotator "Evans,John"]
[PlyCount "67"]
[EventDate "2006.??.??"]
[TimeControl "900"]

1. d4 d5 2. c4 dxc4 {I recognized that this is the queens gambit
accepted, but the truth is that after this I have no idea what the
correct continuation is for black.} 3. e4 {I see that he is tryng to get
back the pawn he's down right away. So I decided to go on the attack and
try to keep my pawn advantage by attacking the d4 pawn.} Nc6 4. Nf3 Bg4
{ My idea is to take the knight and remove a defender from the d4 pawn.}
5. Bxc4 e6 {I didn't take the knight because I was worried about the the
mate tthreat on f7 after the exchange. And I don't think and can force
anything. See variations} (5... Bxf3 6. Qxf3 Nf6 7. e5 Nxd4 8. Qd1 Ne4
9. Be3 Nc6 10. Qxd8+ Nxd8 11. f3 {and then I'm down a knight.}) (5...
Nxd4 6. Bxf7+ Kxf7 7. Ng5+ Kf6 8. Qxg4 Nc2+ 9. Ke2 Nh6 10. e5+ Kxe5 11.
Qe4+ Kd6 12. Qxc2 {I'm just in a horrible position. So I think I cant
take the knight or pawn}) 6. d5 {I have several options here, but I want
to attack so I do. I miss the queen check on a4.} Ne5 7. Qa4+ {I didn't
think I had any choice but to pull the knight back. I think the
following variations lose.} Nd7 (7... Qd7 8. Bb5 c6 9. dxc6 Nxc6 10. Ne5
Qd6 11. Nxc6 bxc6 12. Bxc6+) (7... c6 8. dxc6) (7... c6 8. Nxe5 {So it
appears everything else is real bad.}) 8. Ne5 Ngf6 9. f3 { I can only
save the Bishop by moving it.} Bh5 10. dxe6 fxe6 11. Bxe6 Bd6 {This was
a mistake. I have three pieces attacking d7 and only two protecting it.
I need to get a piece off that square and the only thing that does that
is c6. This move is a losing move.} (11... c6 12. Nxd7 Nxd7 13. Qd4 {I
still think I'm in trouble because he can castle and put more prssure on
d7, but i hav some more time now.}) 12. Nxd7 Nxd7 13. Bxd7+ Qxd7 14.
Qxd7+ Kxd7 {I hate havin g my king out like this but i felt like i was
still in the game. I'm down two pawns so its not looking good I'm hoping
he makes a mistake. i have no plan.} 15. O-O Bc5+ 16. Kh1 Rad8 17. Bg5
Rde8 18. Nc3 c6 {Did this to prevent Nb5, but now I see thats no a
threat because the bishop protects a7 and the king protect c7} (18... h6
19. Bf4 g5 20. Rad1+ Kc8 21. Bg3 Rd8 22. Rxd8+ Rxd8 23. Nb5) 19. Rad1+
Kc8 20. Rc1 Kb8 {This is a horrible move. I think Bb6 is better} (20...
Bb6 {[%emt 0:00:00]}) 21. Bf4+ Ka8 22. Nb5 {Here I have another chance
to play Bb6. This stops the fork on by Nc7.} cxb5 (22... Bb6 {[%emt
0:00:00]} 23. Nc7+ (23. Bc7 cxb5 24. Bxb6 axb6) 23... Bxc7 24. Bxc7 {In
both variations black is in better shape than what I did.}) 23. Rxc5 a6
{Blunder!! Left Bishop hanging} 24. Rxh5 h6 25. Rc1 g5 26. Be3 Rd8 27.
Rc7 Rd1+ 28. Bg1 Kb8 29. Rg7 Rd6 30. h3 { Forced to move knig or rook to
avoid skewer} Ka8 31. Rgxg5 Rc8 32. Rd5 Rdc6 33. Rc5 Rd6 (33... b6 34.
Rxc6 Rxc6 35. f4 {games over}) 34. Rxc8# 1-0

Old December 3rd 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Hello again,

This time I find more text and explanations.

From those notes we can know better what happened in the game.

Some advice to you:

- You need to study tactics, there are many tactics in almost all games
and in both this game and this analysis you made some tactical mistakes.
For example: in the lines you suggest in move 5th black (5...Bxf3 and
5...Nxd4) there are missing mates, losed pieces, winnig positios
converted in losing ones , ...
I think it's better for you to discover yourself those inacuracies in
both lines. Revisiting that lines is an exercise to improve your
tactical ability, later you can post them here and we can help again.

- You need to recognize what were the critical moments in the game.

You have written "6. d5 {I have several options here, but I want to
attack so I do. I miss the queen check on a4.} Ne5".
From that comment we do not know of you think 6...Ne5 to be a mistake
or to be a playable or a good move.

Another interesting moment was when you write "11... Bd6 {This was a
mistake. I have three pieces attacking d7 and only two protecting it. I
need to get a piece off that square and the only thing that does that is
c6. This move is a losing move."
Actually that move is not so bad, you are a pawn down (and not 2!! as
you wrote later) and the game continuation do not show a true danger.

The third momment is when you write: "20. Rc1 Kb8 {This is a horrible
move. I think Bb6 is better". Here I agree all that you say.

- Curiously you only suggested moves for black (you). I think white play
can be improved in some moments and the analysis of those options can
also help you to improve.

- And finally (for now): I would like to see conclusions like:
- I was disoriented in the opening but I found a safe way to develop my
pieces until I miscalculated with XXX
- I feel I can defend the endgame but I did not pay attention to XXX
- I thought I must attack (or a good plan was to begin an attack) in
move XXX but after analyzing the game I realize I must defend.

Antonio Torrecillas

Ps: Well done, ... Your second analysis is mnuch better than the first
one. I'm very interested in looking at your third one!! :-)

En/na John Evans ha escrit:

Old December 3rd 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

En/na Antonio Torrecillas ha escrit:

Hello again,
This time I find more text and explanations.
From those notes we can know better what happened in the game.

Some advice to you:

- You need to study tactics, there are many tactics in almost all games
and in both this game and this analysis you made some tactical mistakes.
For example: in the lines you suggest in move 5th black (5...Bxf3 and
5...Nxd4) there are missing mates, losed pieces, winnig positios
converted in losing ones , ...
I think it's better for you to discover yourself those inacuracies in
both lines. Revisiting that lines is an exercise to improve your
tactical ability, later you can post them here and we can help again.

I, as a teacher, allways take advantage of any opportunity to propose
more work (homework).
:-)

I think that it is better for you to discover all those moves you
missed, than to simply read them from anyone message here.

I think that a game is improvement material which can be revisited again
and again. You allways can find interesting new instruvtive facts in the
analysis of your games.

Antonio T.

Old December 4th 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

En/na John Evans ha escrit:
14. Qxd7+ Kxd7 {I hate having my king out like this but i felt
like i was still in the game. I'm down two pawns so its not
looking good I'm hoping he makes a mistake. i have no plan.}

(remember you are only 1 pawn down)

Here we have another oportunity to improve:

Now you have time enough, ... do you have a plan?

That happen sometimes, in some positions we are disoriented. I think
those positions need hard work in order not to find us in a similar
position were we do not know what to do.

Antonio T.

Old December 4th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

TimeControl "900" How many minutes is that? I suggest you give you and
your opponent more time (like 20 mins each) so you can consider your
moves better. I quickly went over the game and you made some terrible
blunders! Giving a bishop away, and at the end pulling your rook out so
he can take your rook at mate you? What were you thinking?!?
So anyway, give yourself more time when playing games, so you can
consider the pros and cons of your moves in more depth, and study
tactics. Pins, discovered attacks, etc etc etc.
Also, before making a move, ask yourself the questions which space you
are leaving behind (like with moving the knight, you allowed your
opponent to bring in his queen with check on a4), which space you gain,
etc etc. Ask yourself the same questions when your opponent makes a
move. Which space did he leave behind?
Might I suggest to you the fine tutorials that come with Chessmaster?
John Waitzkin (if I'm not mistaking) explains tactics etc really well.
He also goes over those questions like with the space thing I just
mentioned (that's where I got it from).
I hope I could give some usefull pointers.

Old December 4th 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
Ron Ron is offline

Here's the game, with my notes embedded.

[Event "GCS"]

[Site "GCS"]

[Date "2006.11.26"]

[Round "?"]

[White "Excalibur2"]

[Black "PapaDragon"]

[Result "1-0"]

[TimeControl "900"]

[Annotator "Evans,John"]

[ECO "D20"]

[EventDate "2006.??.??"]

[PlyCount "67"]

[WhiteElo "1930"]

[ModificationDate "2006.12.03"]

[BlackElo "1696"]

1. d4 d5 2. c4 dxc4 {I recognized that this is the queens gambit
accepted, but the truth is that after this I have no idea what the
correct continuation is for black. RM: Okay, but you're black here. You
get to make the choice. Do you know more about the QGD than the QGA? In
any event, you're accepting a gambit. You do have a choice here.} 3. e4
{I see that he is tryng to get back the pawn he's down right away. So I
decided to go on the attack and try to keep my pawn advantage by
attacking the d4 pawn. RM: I understand antionio's reticence to
give lots of tactical variations, but I simply want to point out other
strategic considerations: black has a big center which you're probably
going ot want to strike back at with your c-pawn.} Nc6 4. Nf3 Bg4 5.
Bxc4 e6 {I didn't take the knight because I was worried about the the
mate tthreat on f7 after the exchange. And I don't think and can force
anything. See variations} (5. ... Bxf3 6. Qxf3 Nf6 7. e5 Nxd4 8. Qd1 Ne4
(8. ... Ng8 $1 {saves the knight - RM} ) 9.Be3 Nc6 10. Qxd8+ Nxd8 11. f3
{and then I'm down a knight.}) (5. ... Nxd4 6.Bxf7+ Kxf7 7. Ng5+ Kf6 8.
Qxg4 Nc2+ 9. Ke2 Nh6 10. e5+ {white has much better ... find it} Kxe5
11. Qe4+ Kd6 {I'm just in a horrible position. So I think I cant take
the knight or pawn} 12. Qxc2 {white has much better ... find it.}) 6.
d5 {I have several options here, but I want to attack so I do. I miss
the queen check on a4. RM: That's "hope chess." You can't attack unless
you have an advantage of some kind.} Ne5 7. Qa4+ Nd7 (7. ... c6 8. dxc6
{you let this pass without comment. You think it's losing for black?})
8. Ne5 Nf6 9. f3 {I can only save the Bishop by moving it. RM: not true!
Look harder at this position.} Bh5 10. dxe6 fxe6 11. Bxe6 Bd6 {This was
a mistake. I have three pieces attacking d7 and only two protecting it.
RM: not true. Your knight is protected by a knight, your queen, and your
king. You: I need to get a piece off that square and the only thing that
does that is c6. This move is a losing move.} (11. ... c6 12.Nxd7 Nxd7
13. Qd4 {I still think I'm in trouble because he can castle and put
more prssure on d7, but i hav some more time now. RM: White is clealry
better here, but this is nowhere close to losing after} Nc5 {white is up
a pawn but behind in development.}) 12. Nxd7 Nxd7 13. Bxd7+ Qxd7 14.
Qxd7+ Kxd7 {I hate havin g my king out like this but i felt like i was
still in the game. I'm down two pawns so its not looking good I'm hoping
he makes a mistake. i have no plan. RM: As has been pointing out, you're
not down two pawns, you're down one. That being said, you're much worse,
because your opponent has a protected passed pawn. However: you procede
to make your position much worse over the next several moves.} 15. O-O
Bc5+ 16. Kh1 Rad8 17. Bg5 Rde8 18. Nc3 c6 {Did this to prevent Nb5, but
now I see thats no a threat because the bishop protects a7 and
the king protect c7} (18. ... h6 19. Bf4 g5 20. Rad1+ Kc8 21. Bg3 Rd8
22. Rxd8+ Rxd8 23. Nb5 {RM: but in this position, you can play c6 and be
perfectly safe.}) 19. Rad1+ Kc8 {RM: did you consider Ke6 here? Why or
why not?} 20. Rc1 Kb8 21.Bf4+ Ka8 22. Nb5 cxb5 23. Rxc5 a6 {Blunder!!
Left Bishop hanging} 24. Rxh5 h6 25. Rc1 g5 26. Be3 Rd8 27. Rc7 Rd1+ 28.
Bg1 Kb8 29. Rg7 Rd6 30. h3 Ka8 31. Rgxg5 Rc8 32. Rd5 Rdc6 33. Rc5 Rd6
34. Rxc8# 1-0
Old December 4th 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Thanks Antonio,

This is just my second analysis attempt so I think this is better than my
last one. I obviously need more practice. I intentionally picked a short
game this time, but it still took me several hours to check the position to
see if I missed something. I'm going to look this game over again with your
suggestions.

--
Thanks,
John

En/na John Evans ha escrit:

Old December 4th 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Hi Tom,

Thanks for looking at my game analysis. This was actually a game in 15 so
I'm not sure where the 900 came from.

Thanks for all the advice.

--
Thanks,
John

oups.com...

Old December 4th 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

This was very much appreciated. I am very interested in going over your
comments and I will let you know what I discover with you guided questions.

--
Thanks,
John