Old January 6th 07, 07:27 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Default TWIC games 210

Does anyone have the collection of game from the Week in Chess under 210?

I don't simply want the games in a big PGN file, but would rather have
the zipped pgns or individual pgns for each week.
--
Dave (from the UK)

It is always of the form:

http://witm.sourceforge.net/ (Web based Mathematica front end)
Old January 12th 07, 12:01 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 19:27:53 +0000, "Dave (from the UK)"
wrote:

Does anyone have the collection of game from the Week in Chess under 210?

I don't simply want the games in a big PGN file, but would rather have
the zipped pgns or individual pgns for each week.

Is .cbv format ok for you? I have them in that format, with separate
files for each week.

Tony
Old January 13th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

wrote:

Does anyone have the collection of game from the Week in Chess under 210?

I don't simply want the games in a big PGN file, but would rather have
the zipped pgns or individual pgns for each week.

Is .cbv format ok for you? I have them in that format, with separate
files for each week.

Tony

Yes, I expect so. I believe I can convert them if I download chessbase
light. Can you provide a link?

--
Dave (from the UK)

It is always of the form:

http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/ - a Free open-source Chess Database
Old January 13th 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

wrote:

Does anyone have the collection of game from the Week in Chess under 210?

I don't simply want the games in a big PGN file, but would rather have
the zipped pgns or individual pgns for each week.

Is .cbv format ok for you? I have them in that format, with separate
files for each week.

Tony

Yes, I expect so. I believe I can convert them if I download chessbase
light. Can you provide a link?

Hi Dave. I've placed the files at:

http://www.eggdisk.com/files/168030_2ckrf/TWICcbv.zip

Tony
Old January 14th 07, 11:21 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Tony M wrote:

Does anyone have the collection of game from the Week in Chess under 210?

Hi Dave. I've placed the files at:

http://www.eggdisk.com/files/168030_2ckrf/TWICcbv.zip

Tony

Thanks a lot Tony.

I hope to have a new release of ChessDB

http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/

out soon. This will be able to download games directly from TWIC web
site and will automatically create a database or PGN file. I thought I
would try to let it work for any TWIC issue, but of course I was stuck
since they are not on the TWIC website fur under 210.

Those files now give me some flexibility. (I probably will not get all
209 available immediately though, as converting to pgn is going to be a
bit tedious.)

Thanks once again

Old January 15th 07, 12:35 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Dave (from the UK) wrote:
Those files now give me some flexibility. (I probably will not get
all 209 available immediately though, as converting to pgn is going
to be a bit tedious.)

Making those issues of TWIC available might be a breach of copyright
-- you should probably check with the TWIC people that they don't
mind.

(There's a thing called compilation copyright, which is much more
draconian than ordinary copyright and applies even though the games
themselves are not subject to copyright. The copyright exists in the
compilation itself so it would not suffice merely to obtain the same
set of games independently.)

Dave.

--
David Richerby Pickled Tool (TM): it's like a hammer
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ but it's preserved in vinegar!
Old January 15th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

On 15 Jan 2007 12:35:32 +0000 (GMT), David Richerby
wrote:

Dave (from the UK) wrote:
Those files now give me some flexibility. (I probably will not get
all 209 available immediately though, as converting to pgn is going
to be a bit tedious.)

Making those issues of TWIC available might be a breach of copyright
-- you should probably check with the TWIC people that they don't
mind.

(There's a thing called compilation copyright, which is much more
draconian than ordinary copyright and applies even though the games
themselves are not subject to copyright. The copyright exists in the
compilation itself so it would not suffice merely to obtain the same
set of games independently.)

Dave.

I thought about that after I posted the link. I figured that it
wouldn't be a problem, because there are no annotations.
Nevertheless, I removed the file in question.

Tony
Old January 16th 07, 02:38 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Tony M wrote:

Making those issues of TWIC available might be a breach of copyright
-- you should probably check with the TWIC people that they don't
mind.

(There's a thing called compilation copyright, which is much more
draconian than ordinary copyright and applies even though the games
themselves are not subject to copyright. The copyright exists in the
compilation itself so it would not suffice merely to obtain the same
set of games independently.)

Dave.

I thought about that after I posted the link. I figured that it
wouldn't be a problem, because there are no annotations.
Nevertheless, I removed the file in question.

Tony

I'll check with TWIC. I really can't see them complaining, but nothing
is lost in asking.

Old January 16th 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Tony M wrote:
David Richerby wrote:
(There's a thing called compilation copyright, which is much more
draconian than ordinary copyright and applies even though the games
themselves are not subject to copyright. The copyright exists in
the compilation itself so it would not suffice merely to obtain the
same set of games independently.)

I thought about that after I posted the link. I figured that it
wouldn't be a problem, because there are no annotations.

This is the difference between ordinary and compilation copyright. :-(

Reproducing somebody's annotations would fall foul of ordinary
copyright; reproducing somebody's database, even of unannotated games,
falls foul of compilation copyright. (To the best of my under-
standing. I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice. Etc.)

Dave.

--
David Richerby Confusing Projector (TM): it's like
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ a 16mm film projector but you can't
Old January 16th 07, 10:44 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

David Richerby wrote:

I thought about that after I posted the link. I figured that it
wouldn't be a problem, because there are no annotations.

This is the difference between ordinary and compilation copyright. :-(

Reproducing somebody's annotations would fall foul of ordinary
copyright; reproducing somebody's database, even of unannotated games,
falls foul of compilation copyright. (To the best of my under-
standing. I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice. Etc.)

Dave.

I asked on uk.legal and the concensus there seems to be that the act of
sticking chess games together is is not creative and so would not be
covered by copyright.

Of course, if I stick it on a web server in the US (which is probaby
where I would do it), it might be different.

I've asked TWIC. I doubt they will object myself.