Old January 8th 07, 12:40 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics

Default chess problem in movies - the 9th gate

I see that chessville also features a chess based puzzle which will now
become a movie - see the article by Robert Tuohey at

http://www.chessville.com:80/misc/Hi...ateProblem.htm

where the 7th [chessic] card is discussed. The movie was directed by Roman
Polanski, and starring Johnny Depp

He asks a question about the position that is shown "If this position is
original with the film, which I strongly tend to doubt, or if it is derived
from some other source, I have been unable to ascertain."

and

"Now, the position itself is interesting enough, but to think that a big
budget film could manage it (what with Hollywood's rather poor record for
chess accuracy), is astounding."

The Ninth Gate is based on the book Club Dumas, by the Spanish writer Arturo
Perez-Reverte. His web-page is http://www.perez-reverte.com/default.asp.
The Flanders Panel, also by this author, has a strong chess element.

The reviewer is also trying to contact the illustrator of the card,
Francisco Sole.

Take a look, and see if you agree that the resulting position is indeed
correct, original, and if the computer analysis provides [White: Aristarch
4.50 Black: Phalanx XXII] makes it a truly demonic position!

I read this book a long time ago, and while there is less chess in it than
Flanders Panel, it is perhaps better written - while Flanders features a
complex retro-puzzle [which BTW Tim Hanke once wrote me that he was had been
bust, but didn't have the proof]

Phil Innes
for chessville.

Old January 8th 07, 12:48 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics

"Chess One" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

I see that chessville also features a chess based puzzle which will now
become a movie -

that should have read 'became a movie in 1999'. I haven't seen it yet. Phil

Old January 8th 07, 02:47 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics

Chess One wrote:
"Chess One" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

[...]

Phil Innes is one of the people who support my actions. Will you vote
for me for 4 more years?

Old January 8th 07, 02:55 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics

"samsloan" wrote in message
ps.com...

Phil Innes is one of the people who support my actions. Will you vote
for me for 4 more years?

You think you will be around in 4 years false-sloan? I would have thought
impalement more likely, though perhaps two stakes will be necessary? Some
people are so fat they have 2 zip codes! And you are the intellectual
equivalent of fat, ie, you are fatuous.

As we say in Siberia, have an ice day.

PI

Old January 8th 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics

Chess One wrote:
"samsloan" wrote in message
ps.com...

Phil Innes is one of the people who support my actions. Will you vote
for me for 4 more years?

You think you will be around in 4 years false-sloan? I would have thought
impalement more likely, though perhaps two stakes will be necessary? Some
people are so fat they have 2 zip codes! And you are the intellectual
equivalent of fat, ie, you are fatuous.

As we say in Siberia, have an ice day.

PI

Innes my boy, I've been around for more than 50 years. Your friend
Liarry was the one who got me fired from the USCF. Payback is a bitch.
Hugs and Kisses from Vermont!