Old August 27th 03, 04:15 PM
kempelen

Default Tactical motifs (not only king attacking patterns)

I have a tactical question. I bought a fantastic book some months ago:
"sharpen your tactics" . I do problems all days with this book
combined with ct-art 3.0 software and I see results, maybe not in
practical results but my thinking process, that I am seening is more
accurate. I am sure I will see practical results soon as a logic
process (at less is samething I "feel"). Anyway there is one thing
that worry me: all problems in this books and ct-art are near 80%-90%
focused on king attacking patterns. During games, king attacking plans
are common, but not so usuals. Other plans are possible, like
Queenside pawn storms, positional tactical play, center fights, etc.
Is there any book or software that focus on those tactical themes and
not only on king attacks?

P.D.: I like a lot "sharpen your tactics" because is a book with no
hints (no categorized problems that show you what to find) and very
well structured. I put a cover protect to the book and go with it at
all places (is ideal for bed, underground, dead times, ...)
Old August 28th 03, 10:52 AM
Jim Roe

Try the software Total Chess Training. ChessAssistant.com.
It has five differnt training programs. I prefer the Encyclopedia of Opening
Blunders.
ALL openings have about 1000 positions each. Select your opening and The
game is played to the point where a mistake is made. You are to find the
mistake. Some are very difficult to find.

This is how I study my favourite openings.

Jim
om...