Old January 16th 07, 02:41 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis
Rob Rob is offline

Default Chessville Vignettes

Taylor Kingston wrote:
On Jan 16, 8:21 am, "Chess One" wrote:
The intent of the Vignette was plain enough - the player was the next best
scorer compared with the lead scorer, and he wan't 8 places behind, but
immediately behind. Maybe other Californians can say if 'right behind' only
means half a point behind in their system of speaking?

After first raising this point

[half-point? grin]

and carping on it, and as seems necessary for him these days, declaring his
correspondent dishonest [presumably not as dishonest as Mussolini], stating
that his attention span is exhausted by dealing with mortals, etc, as usual
our precision-merchant has run off, declaring himself victorious - somewhat
negating his other writing to the subject, as if, that too, might be subject
to one and only one perspective.

Notice how Innes and Mitchell quibble only about the one semantic
point in my critique, but say little or nothing about the factual
errors it reports. Checking "Chess Vignettes" today, it looks like none
of the errors have been corrected. I reprise my comments, in the hope
that they may act as responsible custodians of chess history rather
than newsgroup nitwits:

Taylor,
If you disagree with something in the New York Times it would be
pointless and ignorant to complain about it in the Monteray News.
Posting corrections here means nothing. Send your corrections or
complaints to the editor/publisher/author of the article. This is not a
forum to correct anything.

conqueror, vanquisher: someone who is victorious by force of arms, by
force of intellect,by force of will

I do not disagree but niether do I agree with you. I can simply state
that if I ever beat you at a game I would tell everyone I defeated,
bested or conquered you over the board... at least once.

Again, if you care enough to point out errors then at least be prudent
enough to pursue corrections in the appropriate forum.

Rob