Old January 27th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Default Queen's Battle, a new variation

Hey all...

My son, Keaton, is about an 800 player in Washington State. He got a
tournament chess set just after Christmas that contained extra queens.
He liked to play his parents, and often himself. While playing with the
pieces, especially the extra queens he stumbled across a formation he
calls Queen's Battle.

It turns out it is quite fun, and instructive. If chess is art, then
this is using the small box of crayons, with wide lines to color in.
It is simpler, but quite sharp. It keeps the attention of the
experienced and novice alike. It helps develop concepts of time, space,
access, and zugzwang.

It uses all the same rules of chess, however there are only 5 pawns, a
King, and 2 (two) queens on each side. The position starts oddly
balanced, and testing the game via Fritz shows that the game is not
apparently busted (no forced win or draw at start, though that may be
shown to be incorrect) and different engines seem to play the game in
different styles. And it is easy to play this game against a computer.

Castling obviously does not apply, but enpassant rules do. As do
promotion rules. There is an optional rule that 3 consecutive checks
are a draw, but that rule looks to only prevent my wife from making the
game to dull, as opposed to any specific reason. But it may be important.

This is how the game starts (FEN)

2q1kq2/2ppppp1/8/8/8/8/2PPPPP1/2Q1KQ2 w - - 0 0

A large percentage of the games are decided by pawn structure and
promotion. Or draw by repetition. Or simply basic mating tactics. So it
blitzes through many of the ideas that are important for a young chess
player to develop.

I would love to see what you think about the game, and if you would like
to publish it, feel free, but please use my son's name as the creator.

Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you.
Old January 27th 07, 11:51 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

On Jan 27, 4:12 pm, J0hnMacIntyre
wrote:
[...]

Looks like a great position for beginners, and fun for more advanced
players, too.... I don't like the optional rule, but the alternative
would require scorekeeping (no fun for a beginners' game).

Old January 28th 07, 12:15 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

J0hnMacIntyre wrote:
My son, Keaton, is about an 800 player in Washington State. He got
a tournament chess set just after Christmas that contained extra
queens. He liked to play his parents, and often himself. While
playing with the pieces, especially the extra queens he stumbled
across a formation he calls Queen's Battle.

It turns out it is quite fun, and instructive.

It might be worth submitting a page to chessvariants.com about this: I
don't know if they'd be interested but you don't know until you try
(or ask them). I'd leave out the three checks rule and clarify
whether promotion to pieces other than queens is allowed. It might be
worth waiting a little while to see if anyone comes up with a bust for
the game and to check that it seems reasonably balanced between the
two players.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Permanent Miniature Shack (TM): it's
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ like a house in the woods but you
Old January 28th 07, 05:08 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

David Richerby wrote:
J0hnMacIntyre wrote:
My son, Keaton, is about an 800 player in Washington State. He got
a tournament chess set just after Christmas that contained extra
queens. He liked to play his parents, and often himself. While
playing with the pieces, especially the extra queens he stumbled
across a formation he calls Queen's Battle.

It turns out it is quite fun, and instructive.

It might be worth submitting a page to chessvariants.com about this: I
don't know if they'd be interested but you don't know until you try
(or ask them). I'd leave out the three checks rule and clarify
whether promotion to pieces other than queens is allowed. It might be
worth waiting a little while to see if anyone comes up with a bust for
the game and to check that it seems reasonably balanced between the
two players.

Dave.

Thanks,
They have some fairly specific rules about submissions, which would make
this not qualify yet.

But I will put up a web page, and until the time has passed, I hope that
folks will give it a try.